AVS Forum banner

Dual 15" Slot Vented Enclosure Build

427 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  LTD02 
#1 ·
I'm planning to build a dual 15" slot vented enclosure for two JBL GTO1514D subwoofers and I wanted to know the dimensions for a vent tuning down to 23 - 25 Hz. All of the enclosures I've found via scouring the web are tuned to 35 Hz and higher. Can someone please help me? I'm looking at a 20x40x20 enclosure. JBL suggests 3.5cuft per sub in a ported/vented enclosure and I've plugged then numbers into WinISD beta but I'm too dumb to understand the numbers they give for a "square" port and how they translate to a slotted vent. I thought about just using a round port but I'd prefer to use a slotted vent instead.

Thanx so much,
Ken

#2 ·
sounds like a fun project.

if this is for a home theater system, 20hz would be a good tuning point. the jbl cab size is for a car where the tune will be high and there will be lots of cabin gain. for a home subwoofer, a much larger volume cab will work better. here is 16c.f. w/dual drivers (one driver per 8 cubic feet) tuned to 20hz.

of course, that could be built as two separate 8 cubic foot cabs.

a slot port that is 4" x 18" x 24" long will tune that cab a little under 20hz.

if building two separate 8 cubic foot cabs, the ports would be 2" x 18" x 24" long.

the 2x18=36 square inches, so that is flexible in that it could be 6x6 or 3x12 or any other combo that equals 36 square inches. they will all tune an 8 cubic footer to just under 20hz if 24" long.

the reason I suggest a 20hz or so tune for two of those drivers is simply because they aren't really excursion monsters, so 20hz tuning will tradeoff pretty good extension while trying to keep spl pretty high at the same time.

the picture is only 1000 watts total. port air velocity is fine. cone excursion is just past xmax, which is fine too. all considered an amazing amount of fun for the money.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.