AVS Forum banner

Is Bracing Neccessary for Speakers?

481 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  tilani 
#1 ·
Hi There,
So I have a couple of other threads dealing with my home theater design and setup. For the speakers I decided to go with the Fusion 10's over at diysoundgroup.com.

At first I was going to have these speakers mounted out with a false wall between the speakers and screen. Decided that it was no longer an option (not my decision of course) so now I am in the process of building this speaker in a small enclosure to shove it in wall.

I got the OK from the designer about the enclosure size that I was using. The dimensions are 12.5" Wide x 20" long x 6.5" Deep. The internal dimensions are 11" wide x 18.5" long x 5" deep. I will be blocking the ports as recommended by the designer (still figuring out the best way to do that). Board used is 3/4" MDF.

My question is, since the box dimension is small (a little less than 20L in volume), is it necessary to have bracing? I was going to have home depot cut out my stuff (no real cutting equipment at home for me) and I was told they would only do straight cuts. I'd like to avoid doing any wood working.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi There,
So I have a couple of other threads dealing with my home theater design and setup. For the speakers I decided to go with the Fusion 10's over at diysoundgroup.com.

At first I was going to have these speakers mounted out with a false wall between the speakers and screen. Decided that it was no longer an option (not my decision of course) so now I am in the process of building this speaker in a small enclosure to shove it in wall.

I got the OK from the designer about the enclosure size that I was using. The dimensions are 12.5" Wide x 20" long x 6.5" Deep. The internal dimensions are 11" wide x 18.5" long x 5" deep. I will be blocking the ports as recommended by the designer (still figuring out the best way to do that). Board used is 3/4" MDF.

My question is, since the box dimension is small (a little less than 20L in volume), is it necessary to have bracing? I was going to have home depot cut out my stuff (no real cutting equipment at home for me) and I was told they would only do straight cuts. I'd like to avoid doing any wood working.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

You are halving the box volume and blocking the ports?!?:confused: Did you check with DIY sound group about this? Who is this "designer"? He/she doesn't seem to have a clue about theater design.

#8 ·
i think he meant to just brace the large panels 'somehow' and i'd concur. even a simple front-to-back 2x2 or dowel or two (toward the center of the panels) will help minimize the baffle from vibrating/buzzing/resonating. hd can probably cut those for you as well.

#13 ·
Or just a dowel or 1x1 or 1x2 cut with a hand saw.
Hi tilani, I agree with the others. If you can fit one or two braces from the front to the back panels, that would be good. The sides, top, and bottom are all small enough that they should be fine.

BTW, because this is in wall, you'll get a lot of bass extension back even though you're converting to sealed. You may be fine crossing your subs at 80hz or possibly lower. I cross mine at 60hz. I do exactly the same thing, except my speaker uses a slightly modified XO.
Heh.

:grin:
Something like this. Doesn't have to be a dowel, could use a scrap piece of MDF

Thanks Everyone! I will have HD cut out about 4 2x2 bars and find a place to stick them.

#10 ·
Hi tilani, I agree with the others. If you can fit one or two braces from the front to the back panels, that would be good. The sides, top, and bottom are all small enough that they should be fine.

BTW, because this is in wall, you'll get a lot of bass extension back even though you're converting to sealed. You may be fine crossing your subs at 80hz or possibly lower. I cross mine at 60hz. I do exactly the same thing, except my speaker uses a slightly modified XO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.