1/4 million acres on fire today (THIS IS REALLY BAD!) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 842
1/4 million acres on fire today (THIS IS REALLY BAD!)

Firefighters are dying, thousand evacuated, people can't breath. It's pretty bad.

Took some pictures of the smoke from my backyard, can't see the sun, I haven't seen it this bad in over 10 years.

I'm in zero danger. But others might not be... It's pretty bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fires.jpg
Views:	892
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	904114   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0004.JPG
Views:	882
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	904122   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0002.JPG
Views:	885
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	904130  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can see some if it on the island. I'm in no way of the fire, but some people hate the smell, and it's causing some serious issues..

It's all about the magic Beans & sand.
post #3 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Is this due to drought? Being on the other side of the country, we don't get that much coverage of what is going on there.
post #4 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarqueset View Post
Is this due to drought? Being on the other side of the country, we don't get that much coverage of what is going on there.
Yes, this area hasn't had much wattering this year at all, everything is so dry. That and people are retarded and throw their cigaret out the window..

post #5 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
That and people are retarded and throw their cigaret out the window..
...and then fly their drones over the wildfires keeping the air attack crew on the ground.

I can't believe how bad it got in a matter of 12 hours. It was perfectly clear yesterday. Even with a fairly strong breeze going right now, it seems to make no difference. It's only going to get worse in the coming years with population growth and increasing temperatures.

Last edited by brendelac; 08-23-2015 at 08:21 PM.
post #6 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
...and then fly their drones over the wildfires keeping the air attack crew on the ground.

I can't believe how bad it got in a matter of 12 hours. It was perfectly clear yesterday. Even with a fairly strong breeze going right now, it seems to make no difference. It's only going to get worse in the coming years with population growth and increasing temperatures.
There called QUAD copters, a drone is what the military uses. People are all uneducated on what a drone & quad is.

p.s a quad isn't going to stop a plane or helicopter in the air from flying, if a Heli got close to it the quad would fall from the sky from all the air being pushed around..

post #7 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
There called QUAD copters, a drone is what the military uses. People are all uneducated on what a drone & quad is.

p.s a quad isn't going to stop a plane or helicopter in the air from flying, if a Heli got close to it the quad would fall from the sky from all the air being pushed around..
So the firefighters are just lazy SOBs looking for an excuse to get out of work then?
post #8 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

What if the recreational drone/UAV has fewer or more than 4 rotors? Are you still going to call it a quad?

Drone is a very general term, but still correct.
post #9 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
I feel for ya! We have some fire crews based here and one of our local guys was near those who got killed in Washington the other day. We've got tons of smoke here, not a good day to go mountain biking....the smoke really moved in last night. It was hazy before that, but then it got smoky. I can't hardly see a mile in some directions today. In contrast here's a shot from Moon Point on Warner Mtn about 25 miles east of town on a ride we did yesterday when it was so much better; hope we can get back to something like this soon. Even the hazier view would be welcome!

Some asshat apparently started a fire over in the old mill site at the industrial park in town this afternoon to make it even worse. We've possibly got an arsonist due to some other recent suspicious fires around town (not good in general but very bad here in the middle of the Willamette Natl Forest it's really dangerous). Could be a stupid cigarette or something. We are toasty dry here. We've not had much lightning nearby this year, unlike last year when we had a big fire nearby that went on for 2.5 months....at least the winds changed now and then.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Moon point 082215.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	904442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moon point 2 082215.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	904450  
post #10 of 42 Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
What if the recreational drone/UAV has fewer or more than 4 rotors? Are you still going to call it a quad?

It has nothing to do with 4 or more rotors. It has to do how it's controlled to be called a drone.

A drone is something that will deliver something aka has coordinates to go from a to be then back.

A quad moves around with a controller from a person..

This is a simple way of explaination.

And no i don't think the fire men are lazy trying to get out of work, they want to surve and protect.

post #11 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
So the firefighters are just lazy SOBs looking for an excuse to get out of work then?
That wouldn't be my characterization, but they're certainly being overly cautious bordering on ridiculous. Do they refuse to fly if there are birds in the area too? It would be like if firefighters refused to respond to the scene of a house fire if the house was on a very busy street until police arrived on the scene and closed down the road.

Quote:

I've never seen one with less than 4 rotors, but I guess 3 might be possible. The ones with more than 4 rotors are are generally referred to by the more generic term multirotor, and no it's not a drone. Drone implies some sort of autonomy, which the typical consumer quadcopter lacks. Those people who have such rigs with waypoint based flight control and FPV probably know better than to get in the way of first responders.
post #12 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Drone implies some sort of autonomy, which the typical consumer quadcopter lacks. Those people who have such rigs with waypoint based flight control and FPV probably know better than to get in the way of first responders.
Both those statements are not true.
post #13 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
I've never seen one with less than 4 rotors, but I guess 3 might be possible. The ones with more than 4 rotors are are generally referred to by the more generic term multirotor, and no it's not a drone.
"Multirotor" is a good general term -- I can live with that. Some hobbyist multirotors do have a limited degree of autonomy though.

Here's a good article on the subject.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...-drone-anyway/

Also, there's a number of multirotor racing organizations that use the term "drone", so maybe the traditional definition of the word should change.

http://dronenationals.com
http://www.gameofdrones.com
post #14 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
"Multirotor" is a good general term -- I can live with that. Some hobbyist multirotors do have a limited degree of autonomy though.

Here's a good article on the subject.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...-drone-anyway/

Also, there's a number of multirotor racing organizations that use the term "drone", so maybe the traditional definition of the word should change.

http://dronenationals.com
http://www.gameofdrones.com
You can thank the news Media for that one! They blow everything out of proportion..

post #15 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
Both those statements are not true.
Both of those statements are absolutely true. Both statements were clearly identified as generalizations not absolutes and both are generally true.

However, if you have some proof that most multirotors have autonomous flying capability or that the multirotors that are scaring away first responders have autonomous flight and FPV capability or that most owners of such multirotors behave in such an irresponsible manner I'd love to see it.
post #16 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Both of those statements are absolutely true. Both statements were clearly identified as generalizations not absolutes and both are generally true.

However, if you have some proof that most multirotors have autonomous flying capability or that the multirotors that are scaring away first responders have autonomous flight and FPV capability or that most owners of such multirotors behave in such an irresponsible manner I'd love to see it.
it's mostly the quads LOL they are cheaper to buy, multirotors cost way more, and those people are alot smarter with their investment..

There is nothing wrong with a quad flying over a fire, in fact if the news media used it as a advantage they could use the footage, the fire rescue people could also use it too. Finding fires looking where the fire is heading etc etc.. but nope they don't..

I'm telling you guys right now, if a real sized helicopter even goes close to a quad the quad will lose and fall out of the sky.

post #17 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with a quad flying over a fire, in fact if the news media used it as a advantage they could use the footage, the fire rescue people could also use it too. Finding fires looking where the fire is heading etc etc.. but nope they don't..
A quick web search reveals multiple fire departments using or exploring this technology.

Quote:
I'm telling you guys right now, if a real sized helicopter even goes close to a quad the quad will lose and fall out of the sky.
Evidence?

By that same logic birds would "fall out of the sky" too, but, unfortunately, that isn't the case and sometimes it has deadly consequences to both fixed wing and rotary aircraft.
post #18 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasser View Post
A quick web search reveals multiple fire departments using or exploring this technology.

Evidence?

By that same logic birds would "fall out of the sky" too, but, unfortunately, that isn't the case and sometimes it has deadly consequences to both fixed wing and rotary aircraft.
a quad copter 4 rotor is only stable one direction. You put a heli close to it and the air is unstable moving around.

post #19 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The military doesn't have drones, we have RPAs (remote-piloted aircraft). There are pilots in boxes flying the RPAs. They don't fly independent of human control to a set of coordinates and fire a missile autonomously; someone is flying them to those coordinates and making the decision to hit the button and fire a missile.
post #20 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
More because of bad restrictions on forest management. They used to go through the forests and clear out dead/dying/diseased trees and brush, logged for lumber and install roads for people to access the National Parks and so fire crews could have easy access to areas that are deeper into the forests but since they haven't allowed this for around 40 years, it has grown over and fires are free to burn whatever is in the path.

I haven't seen whether this was fact-checked, but having been in AZ and CA several times in the last decade, I can say that from the air, it looks like they aren't cutting fire breaks in as many areas as they did before.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...878647&fref=nf
post #21 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is yesterday's sat imagery, the sat is a few hours away from today's pass (cloud cover permitting).

Mostly northern Washington, but with smoke and wind it extends all the way north cali or at least south OR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fdsa.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	904842  
post #22 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Many of the extremely common DJI drones support GPS navigation: http://www.dji.com/product/ipad-ground-station DJI even had to implement GPS-based flight blacklisting to keep them from being flone into restricted airspaces. The modern drone is a far cry from RC aircraft or real aircraft. They're not exclusively being purchased by pilots who are aware of airspace restrictions. They're purchase by quite a few drunk dumbasses as well: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/us...rone.html?_r=0

And I'm unphased by your semantics games. :P
post #23 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
Many of the extremely common DJI drones support GPS navigation: http://www.dji.com/product/ipad-ground-station DJI even had to implement GPS-based flight blacklisting to keep them from being flone into restricted airspaces. The modern drone is a far cry from RC aircraft or real aircraft. They're not exclusively being purchased by pilots who are aware of airspace restrictions. They're purchase by quite a few drunk dumbasses as well: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/us...rone.html?_r=0
You really think the DJI "drones" are the majority of quadcopter sales?

AFAIK, they're a niche player in the market. I would expect that much cheaper models from Blade, Helimax, Syma, and others make up the majority of quadcopter sales.
post #24 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You really think the DJI "drones" are the majority of quadcopter sales?

AFAIK, they're a niche player in the market. I would expect that much cheaper models from Blade, Helimax, Syma, and others make up the majority of quadcopter sales.
YOu are correct, the DJI's are ok but they are SO OVER PRICED !!! Align makes them too that's the ones i fly.. Leap Leap Leap :P

post #25 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is the 24hour change.
The winds have died down, so it is mostly just looming nearest the epicenters.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fire1.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	905442  

Last edited by BassThatHz; 08-24-2015 at 05:39 PM.
post #26 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Although I don't discount bad management, the drought is certainly a big factor. It's really shocking how little snow the west coast got.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/index...&day=8&units=e

You can play around with the dates and see the snow fall for different years.
post #27 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasser View Post
Although I don't discount bad management, the drought is certainly a big factor. It's really shocking how little snow the west coast got.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/index...&day=8&units=e

You can play around with the dates and see the snow fall for different years.
Nanaimo didn't even get any snow this year..

post #28 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
Yes, we had low levels of snow and rain this last winter here too. The stick forests don't help. We got some relief today, smoke is allowing glimpses of blue sky, altho discolored still. Hopefully nicer tomorrow....
post #29 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Flying a drone or quad of any type near a fire is serious business, everywhere in North America. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...and-jail-time/
Obviously many in here need to learn why they are so dangerous.

Now on another note, isn't it so typical to see someone start a thread about a certain topic and then people start arguing about something that has nothing to do with it. Facebook syndrome all over again!

I also live in the Okanagan. The smoke we are experiencing from the okanagan all the way up past Kamloops is from a fire in Washington State. None of the fires in BC are causing this and actually most fires have really subsided in the past couple days.
post #30 of 42 Old 08-24-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post
Flying a drone or quad of any type near a fire is serious business, everywhere in North America. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...and-jail-time/
Obviously many in here need to learn why they are so dangerous.
So enlighten us, what is so dangerous about them then ? Do you own one ? Do you fly them ? what one do you fly ? OH you don't have any, so you are just listening to the media ?

Thought so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page