AVS Forum banner

question about a speaker I picked up!

321 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  corradizo 
#1 ·
So I picked up a set of these Monoprice 8" driver / 1" tweeter coaxial speakers to be used in the ceiling or wall of my garage. I got them used off of ebay for literally next to nothing, so if I have to move to a different option, so be it. I powered them up tonight and they have literally zero low-end frequency to them. I was really not expecting much, but I had to put my hand to the 8" driver to make sure that it wasnt just the tweeter that was working. I figured that an 8" out at least have some mid range to it.... Does anyone know if there is anything I can swap out on the crossover board that would allow for a lower frequency? Now that I read some reviews, it seems like this is the only complaint from these speakers. I know that when I tested it, it was sitting on my bar, with no enclosure, and that in the ceiling I will have a small box over the back, but I can't imagine that it will make much of a difference.

Here is a pic of the built in crossover and speaker.

See less See more
#2 ·
without a baffle, the wave off the front of the driver is meeting the wave off its back and cancelling it out. with that size of speaker it will be falling at about 18db/oct from the midrange down.

looks like 107 reviews online and 4.5 stars, so they are probably not *that* bad.

then again, who knows, maybe you bought a defective speaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.