Elusive 1099 vs Maximus 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnDean
  • 1 Post By K9woofer
  • 4 Post By Kubbie
  • 1 Post By tuxedocivic

Old 10-06-2015, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Elusive 1099 vs Maximus 12

I'm posting in order to gather feedback for a friend interested in DIYing a home theater front stage using either of these designs.

The Elusive 1099 : http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...html?mode=list

The maximus 12 : http://www.diysoundgroup.com/maximus-13.html

He was initially set on the 1099 but recently has started considering the maximus , for it's form factor and deeper bass response. I can't objectively advise him as I haven't heard either so I'm going to pose a few questions interspersed with thoughts.

1. The maximus is a W + MT module that attempts to dig low. Since this runs off a single powered receiver channel rather than a dedicated LFE channel, my concern is that it's potential is wasted for home theater requirements. Additionally, I fear that it will bottom out on anything more than modest home theater demands (as this 12" driver is running as a direct radiator, it really needs more excursion capabilities to function as a true sub, .. even if re-jigged to run in LFE mode).

2. OTOH, the 1099 doesn't attempt to do bass, assuming that job will be served by dedicated subs.

3. Both these speakers are large. His room is 12 ' W x 18 ' L x 9 ' H . I tried to steer him towards smaller speakers but he is more or less intent on going big . Can any owners of either of these speakers chime in ? I'm assuming they would need to jut into the room some.

4. What kind of subwoofers would you recommend with these efficient speakers. If going direct radiator subwoofers, I feel a pair of 12" would be the minimum.

5. Lastly, any subjective comparisons between these two speakers or suggestions for superior alternatives.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I'm not sure I follow on #1 . Even with the maximus, I'd still set the channel to small and the HPF to 60hz in the AVR. Subs will still be needed for movies/LFE. If it was for music, possibly not and run them full range.

Subs - I'd go bigger than a pair of 12's for either design. Don't want to be outclassed right off the bat and both these are probably going to be stunners on the output.

IMO the maximus is more of a full range music design, but I could be wrong. My coworker says I've been wrong 3 times so far.

IF...He really wants to go big and send everyone else home, I'd hook him up with the Intrusive 1899. That'll surely not leave him wanting anymore.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...sive-1899.html
dtsdig likes this.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 89
how is his woodworking skills? there both going to be great speakers. I ordered the 1099s and waiting there arrivals
currently the 1099s are in and have flat packs so just clapping and gluing. but with either the XO will have to be built.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie2075 View Post
how is his woodworking skills? there both going to be great speakers. I ordered the 1099s and waiting there arrivals
currently the 1099s are in and have flat packs so just clapping and gluing. but with either the XO will have to be built.

He has 0 wood working skills. I may need to supervise / guide him through flatpack assembly. I should have enough clamps, brad nailer, sander etc to facilitate this task
Old 10-06-2015, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
I'm not sure I follow on #1 . Even with the maximus, I'd still set the channel to small and the HPF to 60hz in the AVR. Subs will still be needed for movies/LFE. If it was for music, possibly not and run them full range.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...sive-1899.html
I think we agree that the low freq. capability of the maximus will probably be wasted for a HT application.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobsky View Post
I'm posting in order to gather feedback for a friend interested in DIYing a home theater front stage using either of these designs.
3. Both these speakers are large. His room is 12 ' W x 18 ' L x 9 ' H . I tried to steer him towards smaller speakers but he is more or less intent on going big . Can any owners of either of these speakers chime in ? I'm assuming they would need to jut into the room some.

4. What kind of subwoofers would you recommend with these efficient speakers. If going direct radiator subwoofers, I feel a pair of 12" would be the minimum.
Thanks

I have a small room. 13.3x16.6x8 and can say I love my 1099's. I even have been toying with the idea of the 1899's. Not that I would need any more output but just cause they look so freaking cool.
To see what my front looks like I posted a picture here Boston GTG-JTR-PSA-Reaction Audio-1099's comparison -
That thread also has some good comparisons on the 1099's.
For subs, I have two 18's and would like two more to replace the two 12's I have now. The 12's seem to get a muddy sound when I am pushing the 1099 output. While the 18's can keep up.
Just thought I would put that out there.

The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 40TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I have a small room. 13.3x16.6x8 and can say I love my 1099's. I even have been toying with the idea of the 1899's. Not that I would need any more output but just cause they look so freaking cool.
To see what my front looks like I posted a picture here Boston GTG-JTR-PSA-Reaction Audio-1099's comparison -
That thread also has some good comparisons on the 1099's.
For subs, I have two 18's and would like two more to replace the two 12's I have now. The 12's seem to get a muddy sound when I am pushing the 1099 output. While the 18's can keep up.
Just thought I would put that out there.
Thanks, I heard some JTRs last weekend at RMAF (not sure which ones they were, . the room was dark on account of the home theater demo) but the thread you linked gives me a good reference scale.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 164
have you looked at the Cinema 10 Max? I hear good things on those also. http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...cinema-10.html
Or the new 893's? http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...s/the-893.html
Some great kits coming through, thanks to Erich H, Tux and the rest that help and design for all of us.

The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 40TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
Old 10-06-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Dual 12" subs would be an okay match with something like the Fusion-8's. You'll need to go bigger on the subs if you want them to keep up with either of the speakers you mentioned.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I may not be an expert, but i would go with the largest waveguide that was possible.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2464 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobsky View Post
Thanks, I heard some JTRs last weekend at RMAF (not sure which ones they were, . the room was dark on account of the home theater demo) but the thread you linked gives me a good reference scale.

Those would of been the 210RT's, those are really good speakers that are a 3-way design with an excellent coax compression driver from BMS. The JTR speakers from the latest GTG were the 228's which are a 2-way speaker. The 228's are a great speaker having owned them myself but they would not be as good as the 210RT's.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Those would of been the 210RT's, those are really good speakers that are a 3-way design with an excellent coax compression driver from BMS. The JTR speakers from the latest GTG were the 228's which are a 2-way speaker. The 228's are a great speaker having owned them myself but they would not be as good as the 210RT's.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll update this thread once the final decision has been made.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Dual 12" subs would be an okay match with something like the Fusion-8's. You'll need to go bigger on the subs if you want them to keep up with either of the speakers you mentioned.
Does this have something to do with something other than loudness or sensitivity? The Fusion 8 and the maximus 12 have the same sensitivity.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Generally speaking, the louder your main speakers can go and the louder you listen to them, the bigger and louder your subwoofers need to be in order to keep up.

The Fusion-8 and Maximus-12 were designed for different uses, so there would be more to compare than just the sensitivity ratings.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Generally speaking, the louder your main speakers can go and the louder you listen to them, the bigger and louder your subwoofers need to be in order to keep up.

The Fusion-8 and Maximus-12 were designed for different uses, so there would be more to compare than just the sensitivity ratings.
Can you explain a bit more? Is it the size of the woofer on the speaker?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not exactly sure what information you're asking Are you wondering what the difference is between the Maximus-12 and Fusion-8 even though their sensitivity is close, or about needing bigger subwoofers with more powerful mains?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what information you're asking Are you wondering what the difference is between the Maximus-12 and Fusion-8 even though their sensitivity is close, or about needing bigger subwoofers with more powerful mains?
Both if you don't mind answering. Can you have too large of a subwoofer for the speaker?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadamir View Post
Can you have too large of a subwoofer for the speaker?
Never.
zencarver likes this.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Can you have too large of a subwoofer for the speaker?

No.

SI HST-18 DIY Subwoofer / Sony VPLHW40ES / Onkyo TX-NR636 /
Old 10-09-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1521 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Both if you don't mind answering. Can you have too large of a subwoofer for the speaker?
The heart of what Erich was is saying is output capability. Sensitivity might be the same, but the Fusion 8 will give up at Xdb and the Maximum 12 will give up at X+Ydb. So the subwoofer system for the Fusion 8 should be capable of X and the subs for the Maximus 12 should be capable of X+Y.
JohnDean likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement