I'm posting in order to gather feedback for a friend interested in DIYing a home theater front stage using either of these designs.
The Elusive 1099 : http://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-th...html?mode=list
The maximus 12 : http://www.diysoundgroup.com/maximus-13.html
He was initially set on the 1099 but recently has started considering the maximus , for it's form factor and deeper bass response. I can't objectively advise him as I haven't heard either so I'm going to pose a few questions interspersed with thoughts.
1. The maximus is a W + MT module that attempts to dig low. Since this runs off a single powered receiver channel rather than a dedicated LFE channel, my concern is that it's potential is wasted for home theater requirements. Additionally, I fear that it will bottom out on anything more than modest home theater demands (as this 12" driver is running as a direct radiator, it really needs more excursion capabilities to function as a true sub, .. even if re-jigged to run in LFE mode).
2. OTOH, the 1099 doesn't attempt to do bass, assuming that job will be served by dedicated subs.
3. Both these speakers are large. His room is 12 ' W x 18 ' L x 9 ' H . I tried to steer him towards smaller speakers but he is more or less intent on going big . Can any owners of either of these speakers chime in ? I'm assuming they would need to jut into the room some.
4. What kind of subwoofers would you recommend with these efficient speakers. If going direct radiator subwoofers, I feel a pair of 12" would be the minimum.
5. Lastly, any subjective comparisons between these two speakers or suggestions for superior alternatives.