Hypothetical, high output, budget home theater. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By frankie2075
  • 1 Post By More is Better
  • 1 Post By Kubbie
  • 1 Post By doodoobutter

Old 10-21-2015, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hypothetical, high output, budget home theater.

Disclaimer: going to bed, won't read responses until tomorrow.

For a few years now we've been getting by with a single f20. Getting by is an understatement, we've run it to it's max many times on some late nights, but that dayton HF just keeps thumping.

Well we're looking to buy a house withing a few months, and a basement is a requirement, as well as no neighbors within bass range. AKA boonies. So I'm starting my brainstorming...

1) First off we'd go with a benq w1070 (or whatever current equivalent model) and an elite screen 100" to 150" depending on ceiling height. This should run $1k to $1.3k

2) I'm thinking of building 3 more f20's to add to the one we have now and run them off of a single amp, probably a berry to stay low cost. If doing 4x f20's we would probably do two firing into the corners and laying 2 under the screen

Or...

3) Retire the f20 to garage duty and build 2 lilwreckers. What would you do? I figure only 2 lilwreckers because of space. I want the biggest screen possible. I figure we'd lay the horns under the screen, like a stage.

4) And last, the main speakers, 5.1. The budget is tight, and we need something to keep up with the bass. The only thing that I can come up with is 2pi speakers. They're only $100 per kit and 95db sensitivity. Using these as mains, center and surrounds, can they keep up with the ridiculous horn bass?

I know, text wall. I'm pretty set on this setup but not sure on 4x f20's vs 2x lilwreckers, and whether or not my mains can keep up with the bass. Obviously I'm looking for the most bang for my buck, so we don't want to spend much more.

The thought of multiple sealed has always caught my interest, but I LOVE the sound of horns and their efficiency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Not DIY, but 5 of these for $165ea shipped

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B215...eywords=b215xl

Get the "repackaged" amazon warehouse deal used ones to get that price. There isn't one listed now, but one or two a week pop up. I just bought the last 2 like that. One has a scuff on the back like someone set it gently on concrete, rubbed at it with my finger and you can't tell it was there. I think they get a lot of returns because they are big and ugly.

Behringer Eurolive B215XL 15" 2-Way as L/R Mains

other than that, the B212xl is in your price range, but is only $25 less as a return so I'd skip that.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...-pure-kit.html or any bigger speaker on that site.

Notice a pattern here? Compression driver and horn for high freqs, pro audio bass speaker...

I don't know that the 2pi tweeter can come close to keeping up with horn subs.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great info!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Go with a pair of Fusion 8 (or better) for LR and use a phantom center. Move them to rears and replace with larger units (if desired) when the budget allows. Same with subs...build half to start and add the other half later. You don't have to buy/build everything at once. You may even discover that you get perfectly acceptable performance with less than you thought you "needed".

Good luck!

Last edited by mobeer4don; 10-22-2015 at 05:12 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-22-2015, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 89
One word! D I Y! (Diysoundgroup.com)
kaiforce likes this.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 1079
Adding 3 F20's would save you some money from not having to rebuild 1 sub.
4 would be significantly louder than 1 of them: 12db

Behringer B215XL is 96db/watt so it should be fairly loud, you are probably using 85-90db/watt bestbuy speakers right now, so that's 6db louder treble and mid-bass for the front 3 speakers.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought to look into PA speakers because I assumed they were more expensive than that. Those b215xl are a great value. So I'm skipping the 2pi speakers for sure.

I looked at diysoundgroup but it looks like they're cheaper "big" speakers start at around $140 each, and I'd still have to buy wood. I like the idea of building my own because I like the look of stained wood, but the PA speakers might win me over here.
@BassThatHz , I'm actually using a set of SONY floor standing speakers. I can't remember the model number but they have a sensitivity of 89db, which is why I bought them on black friday a few years ago for $110. Cheap and loud. When cranking up the music, the f20 just barely starts to make distortion before the cheapo sonys do. The f20 is powered by a bash 300 with a Dayton HF.

Thanks for the knowledge, I know what to look forward to.

But one last question that I didn't see answered. 4x f20s vs 2x lilwreckers?
Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 339
4 LilWreckers, DUH!!!

Xtra extension is nice if you have somewhere for the f20 to go Edit: other than the burn pile. Otherwise build 3 more.
doodoobutter likes this.

Last edited by More is Better; 10-23-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 185
4x F-20's will be some serious output.
My brother's room that is currently under construction will be getting two. I have one built and installed, and you are familiar with the performance of 1.
He is not interested in chasing subsonics, so the F-20 dropping off below 20 hz is just fine for him.

You know the size of the F-20, so if the idea of 4 fridges in your room won't work, keep in mind they don't have to be in the room.
This room happens to have a laundry/mechanical room on one wall where we put the F-20, with just the mouth firing through the wall.

The second one will be on a different wall with the same type of installation. It will be like an IB, in that very stealthy in the room (no visible boxes), but with considerable bass output.

(In this pic I brought over my B212XL's run by a crown 1500 and a Bash 300 running the F-20.)
Needless to say he was more than impressed with the F-20 + Behringer 212xl combo.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150924_192243358.jpg
Views:	869
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	1010449  
More is Better likes this.

SI HST-18 DIY Subwoofer / Sony VPLHW40ES / Onkyo TX-NR636 /
Old 10-22-2015, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by More is Better View Post
4 LilWreckers, DUH!!!

Xtra extension is nice if you have somewhere for the f20 to go. Otherwise build 3 more.
Lol, I don't know the dimensions of our future bass cave yet, we just got pre approved and are looking at houses now. I'm just assuming that we won't have the space for 4 of them. I think 4x f20s will give us plenty of dbs above 20hz no matter how big the basement is. But I'd also imagine we would get some usable output down to lets say 17hz. I'd be okay with that.

Other con of 4x lilwreckers is the literal truck load of plywood required...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubbie View Post
4x F-20's will be some serious output.
My brother's room that is currently under construction will be getting two. I have one built and installed, and you are familiar with the performance of 1.
He is not interested in chasing subsonics, so the F-20 dropping off below 20 hz is just fine for him.
I agree on the serious output. 1 of these in our small living room has me reaching for the remote because our neighbor across the street told me it makes HIS windows shake. I think depending on your brothers room size he would get usable extension into the upper teens, which is also good for me.

Quote:
You know the size of the F-20, so if the idea of 4 fridges in your room won't work, keep in mind they don't have to be in the room.
This room happens to have a laundry/mechanical room on one wall where we put the F-20, with just the mouth firing through the wall.

The second one will be on a different wall with the same type of installation. It will be like an IB, in that very stealthy in the room (no visible boxes), but with considerable bass output.
Size and ugliness won't be a problem, this will be in the basement. Not to mention we've been living with the thing looming in the corner of our living room for a few years now. Unfinished I should add

We are thinking of putting them behind the screen with a false wall though. Not to hide them, but if the ceilings are low it will give us more room for a bigger screen with only the mouths of the horns poking out under the screen. If we have room we'd like to corner fire 2 of them and then lay 2 under the screen with the mouths facing each other.

Quote:
Needless to say he was more than impressed
I am sure your brother was impressed. We went from htib > separate speakers with a 10" polk sub > Dayton HF in an 18hz tuned ported box > F20. I was baffled by the difference the horn enclosure could make with the same sub I was using. We realized we weren't listening to real bass with the HF in the ported box.
More is Better likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement