AVS Forum banner

New IST (Mach 5) 32" sub thread

87K views 753 replies 128 participants last post by  jmusto 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got a chance to check out the 32" sub today. Mark was going over what he though people would want to see as features in this driver. I can say I was 100% surprised how rigid the cone was, it's heavy and really solid, no worry's about flexing here. The basket is modular, then assembled on site. Single or dual spider, depending on how high end Mark decided to build it and how he decides he wants it to perform.

The thread is to gauge some ideas on what anyone that may purchase it would like to see. We talked about Neo magnets, copper sleved motor, 6" VC etc. The surround is capable of some serious xmax, depending on how it's built, expect over 25mm with more available depending on the build. This is shaping up to be a outright monster.

So the question is, what are you guys wanting it to do? price point (be realistic, not 500$ lol) features, weight etc.... all that stuff. It could be built with traditional magnets, though the sub would be close to 150 lbs..... There will also be a 24" in the works likely using the same motor, or a close version of it.

Thats a 12", 15", 18", 21" and the 32" lol Thats the spider in the UXL and in the FTW LOL

Thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow that sub is huge! The price I hope to be under 1k for the 32". But if the price point can be lowered around 800$ I think there would be a lot of these moving into guys HT rooms.

#6 ·
You need to put a Parthenon motor on this thing.

Got XMAX? :eek:

The motor should be shipped separately like the LMS.

If the subwoofer is that big, I'd hate to see how big the shipping box would need to be. 36x36x36 and 150lbs LOL!

Much easier to do two boxes:
33x33x10 and 10lbs
15x15x15 and 140lbs.

#7 ·
You need to put a Parthenon motor on this thing.

Got XMAX? :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBN33UVQWSo

The motor should be shipped separately like the LMS.

If the subwoofer is that big, I'd hate to see how big the shipping box would need to be. 36x36x36 and 150lbs LOL!

Much easier to do two boxes:
33x33x10 and 10lbs
15x15x15 and 140lbs.
If it ends up being a neo motor, won't really matter. It wouldn't add much to the size of the box.

#11 ·
The size of the 32" driver alone is going to limit how many someone can fit in their HT, or even better, where the heck they'll put them.

If it's going to require massive 15-25cu.ft boxes for sealed operation, that's only going to limit it even more.

I'm REALLY hoping this thing doesn't have a weak sauce motor!!

Sure, you can always use a LT to boost the low end if it's in a smaller box, but that's also harder on it thermally.

#13 ·
It won't. We had discussed box Size issues. My thinking is it has to work in something 10CF and under. Mark was thinking the same thing. Although neo magnets will add some to the cost, they will cut the box size in half vs traditional magnets.

#16 ·
Wow, and I thought my wife was special for being OK with me building an 18" sub. I think I'd be handed divorce papers if I brought that thing into the house. Grats on anyone who can pull that off with their significant other. ;)

#17 ·
I've already begun the pitch, Let the buttering of the wives begin..LOL

Reactions: Roctopuss and bulls
#29 ·
So do ya think there'll be a flat pack for this ?? LOL..;)

Reactions: tgsweat
#32 ·
I do have room for this and if kept to 35" wide, can be made to fit thru the door so . . . .

where's my cut sheet?

what's another 30 ish + ft^3 box anyway, just a few weeks worth of joyful screwin' 'n gluin'

amp? , some big Crown or something like that?

I can run another 20 or 30 amp circuit.

subscribed

#35 ·
The cone is pretty heavy, probably gonna take some serious power. Good thing we have lots of options!

Box could always be taller and thinner. Depth of the driver looks to be around 16-17 inches with motor (depending on which one). It's comically big. Should be darn fun.

#34 ·
my router jig goes to just over 50+"

Reactions: popalock
#37 ·
This could be called "The Homewrecker" and quite literally have a double meaning in it. ;)

Reactions: JCJetta
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.