Yet Another - My MartyCubes - Build Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By whoinow

Old 12-19-2015, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yet Another - My MartyCubes - Build Thread

Hey all. Here is my build thread of 2 Marty Cubes using Ht18d2's and a Behringer NU6000DSP. We made a lot of progress today! Worked at my Dad's as he has all the right tool and has been a general contractor in construction for 30+ years. I have all the stuff needed to complete the project. I had a couple questions before I get to progress pics:

1. Do you need to use the rubber gasket/surround the HT18's come with? The holes on it don't line up will with the driver and looks like a PITA.
2. For people who built these before, where did you put the speak-on connector?
3. What about feet for the enclosure, just cosmetic?

Any tips/feedback are/is appreciated

More shots tomorrow, as I have put the second baffles on, rounded out the edges of the front/top. I will be filling gaps with bondo, doing any other prep work and paint tomorrow hopefully! Also, foam and speak-on connector go in tomorrow. If time allows, I will drill the driver mounting holes tomorrow. After a test of the amplifier, I will be installing a relay in the amp for my remote trigger chain and replacing the fans in the amp. Thanks to this sub-forum for all the great information.

Some cuts

Port started on 1

and 2 (ports painted later)

Ports completed and tops on

First Baffle on 1 and bracing

First Baffle on 2 and bracing

TV: Vizio M70-C3 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Hub
Sources: PS3 | PS4 | Xbox One | Sony Blu-ray player | NVIDIA SHIELD
AVR: Anthem AVM60 | AMPs: Emotiva XPA-5, Behringer NU6000DSP, Sanway DA1008 (in testing)
Front: Monitor Audio BR5 | Center: Chane A2rx-c | Rear/Surround: Energy CB-20 (4x)
Subs: MartyCube w/SI HT18d2 (x2) (Build Post)

Last edited by whoinow; 12-19-2015 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 312
1) No, you do not need to use the rubber gasket, but you will need some weather stripping to create an airtight seal

2)Most people just center them on the back panel, but you can literally put it anywhere you like.

3)Feet are mostly cosmetic unless your cab is on a tile or wood floor and you are worried about it sliding around. If that's the case just slap some rubber feet on it and call it a day.

You're off to a great start, keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've got MartySub and Custom subwoofer flatpacks for Sale! PM me with questions about custom designed flatpacks. MartySub Flatpacks are back

Also, Check out my End-Table Marty Build
Old 12-19-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can you send them to Europe?
Old 12-19-2015, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
1) No, you do not need to use the rubber gasket, but you will need some weather stripping to create an airtight seal

2)Most people just center them on the back panel, but you can literally put it anywhere you like.

3)Feet are mostly cosmetic unless your cab is on a tile or wood floor and you are worried about it sliding around. If that's the case just slap some rubber feet on it and call it a day.

You're off to a great start, keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback! I bought some weather stripping when I bought everything, so I think I am going to skip the rubber gasket. I ended up putting the speak-on connector at the very top of the back so the wire can just go over the port. I am still debating feet :0)

AVR: Anthem AVM60 | AMPs: Emotiva XPA-5, Behringer NU6000DSP, Sanway DA1008 (in testing)
Front: Monitor Audio BR5 | Center: Chane A2rx-c | Rear/Surround: Energy CB-20 (4x)
Old 12-19-2015, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

More Updates. Got the boxes 'finished' in terms of holes filled and bondoed up. Got the foam in and the first coat of paint. Tomorrow is another coat of paint (or 2), mount the speaker and speak-on connector. Nearly there!

More progress pics:

Bondo Application on Box 1

Bando Application on Box 2

After sanding it down and adding the foam in box 1

After sanding it down and adding the foam in box 2

First coat of paint!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Old 12-20-2015, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Skipped some steps on pictures, but today I got the speakon connectors in and drivers mounted. I ended up using the rubber gaskets on the drivers since it looked a lot better in the boxes and it wasn't as much of a pain as I thought. They still need some cleanup, but I wanted to hear them! So far so awesome. I am a bit afraid my room is too small for optimal listening, but I will probably keep these for a long while including when I buy a house.

Finished Left

Finished Right
Qosmo and Squirrel! like this.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Modded the NU6000DSP today to have relay to turn the amp on with the IR trigger I built. Found out that the relay pulls 158mA and the Emotiva XPA-5 it was daisy-chained behind on the trigger only does 100mA on the out port, thus causing the relay in the 6000 to buzz for a second or so before actuating. Plus drawing too much isn't a good thing. So the 6000 has an IN and OUT trigger now. The IR trigger I built has a 1.5A max draw, so all good now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement