AVS Forum banner

iNUke6000 buzz/ hum

2K views 48 replies 11 participants last post by  s_yang 
#1 ·
Alright this is driving me crazy. This just happened and I am not sure why. Everything was working perfect for the past year and then this happens. I had to move my entertainment stand and here is whats going on. Everything is still plugged into the same outlet, so no changes there. No settings were changed on the iNUke so thats good. Here are the steps I have taken to try and figure this out.

1. I unplugged my cable line and set it far off to the side, still have the hum.
2. I started to unplug every item that was plugged into the power brick. I manages to have every item unplugged and yet the buzz and hum was still going on.
3. While everything was unplugged I would unplug the rca from the back of the AVR and the hum would stop, the second I plugged it back in, the hum came back.
4. I also noticed that the hum went away when I removed the long HDMI cable going to the projector. This is still with the rca connected to the back of the AVR. When the projector HDMI was unplugged, the hum went away. I then plugged in the HDMI going to the TV and got no hum.
5. Now during all of this, with the hum going on and then with the hum gone using the HDMI from the tv, I ran YPOA. The subs were NEVER recognized, either when the hum was going on with the HDMI cable to the projector, or when the hum was gone using the HDMI from the TV.
6. I tried multiple RCA cables from the speakon to the rca on the receiver. There was no change in the hum.

Recap:
the hum is there when only the inuke has power to it and all other items are unplugged.
The hum is there when the projector HDMI is plugged into the AVR out
The Hum is gone when the everything is plugged in and the projector HDMI is unplugged
The hum is gone when the inuke is on and the rca is unplugged from the AVR.

The outlet is grounded. I am just out of ideas here.

See less See more
#6 ·
This is is what I thought also. I never had this problem until I had to move the stand over 3 feet. I don't know where the interference would come in. Would I still get the hum/buzz even with all other devices unplugged?

I tried plugging in just the avr and Inuke. The hum was still there, I then unplugged the RCA from the sub out on the avr and the hum went away.

I had only the inuke plugged in. With just the inuke plugged in I had the rca from sub out on the avr connected and it still hummed, even with the avr unplugged. Once I unplugged the RCA from sub out, the hum ended.

#12 ·
Also, would a bad hum cause my receiver to not recognize the subs? Right now it is wired for

AVR>RCA cable> Inuke>xlr cable> subs

Would a bad hum/buzz cause the Yamaha rx-v1800 to not recognize the subs? When I run YPOA it just skips over the subs since during the test no sound comes out.

#13 ·
if the hum is bad enough its definitely possible.

just so theres no confusion - the connection between the avr and inuke is a RCA to XLR cable and the connection between the inuke and sub should be speakon connectors.

Can you hear sound coming out of the subs if you play a movie?

If you connect the inuke to a different preout on the amp (lets say the left channel) is the hum still there?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
These are the items I am using to connect the amp to the avr and subs.

Mediabridge ULTRA Series RCA Y-Adapter only 1 sub out on the receiver
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBX5GW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Mediabridge ULTRA Series Subwoofer Cable (4 Feet) - Dual Shielded
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041OOF4I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Pyle-Pro PPSS15 15' Foot Professional Speaker Cable Male
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E1PXJS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

#20 ·
I am trying to get PIN 1 out, bahhhhh..

I took the amp off of the stand and placed it on the floor 5 feet away. Ran an extension cord from a new outlet to the amp. Ran the rca 30ft and rca 4ft to the amp from the avr and still getting the buzz, humm. Have now tried the inuke in 3 different locations with the hum/buzz still being there.

Currently trying to get pin 1 out, I guess the adapter I have doesnt have an easy way to do that.

My other next step is going to be taking the AVR off of the stand and placing it on the floor with the only thing plugged into it is the rca out the inuke and see if the problem is still there.

#22 ·
Yep quoting myself..lol

I got pin 1 out and am still getting the hum/buzz. Going to take the AVR out of the stand and only plug in the rca to sub out and see if I still have getting the problem. Going to have the inuke and receiver sitting in the middle of the room both plugged into the same outlet and also try different outlets.
'
robert

#27 ·
Nope, everything was unplugged while in the stand and then taken out. I would unplug the device and take it out, then take the cables out.

Another update for everyone.. And thank you again.

I took the avr out of the stand, plugged in just the sub out and the humming was gone. Ok great. I put the avr back in the stand using those same cables.

Before when I would have the avr powered off and the inuke powered on and plugged into the avr I would get the hum.

So I decided to put the avr back in the stand and connected each speaker 1 by 1. F, C, L, RS, LS were all plugged in and no hum.. Awesome sauce...

I ran the YPAO for setup with the test tones. Every speaker hooked up got the test tone but the sub. It was silent. Going to get the RCA to 1/8 to plug into something to see if the yamaha has finally taken its last breath with LFE.

At this point thats the only thing I can think of.

#39 ·
Alright, I have figured out the problem and taken care of it. I'll be the first to admit it was a dumb mistake. After just looking at pictures of the back of my yamaha receiver online I noticed that I was plugging the damn cable into the wrong slot this whole time. I have never made this mistake before.

I kept plugging the cable into the "MULTI CH INPUT"....Yes, egg on my face. When I plugged it into the preout I got sound. Not sure If I was just trying to go too fast or working in a cramped area, but yes, the problem is fixed. Thank you to all the members on here who helped out!

#49 ·
Thank you for the replay. I disconnected the coaxial cable and it would not make any difference. Lifting the pin 1 of the XLR would not help. I noticed that the hum is still there even the projector is off. However, once I unplugged the projector, the hum is gone. When I connected between the ground terminal of the AVR and one of the screws on the top of the Inuke, the hum is still there but much quieter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.