AVS Forum banner

Another Volt surround thread (advice needed plz)

272 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dandiele 
#1 ·
Just today the wife gave me the approval to purchase surrounds to go with my Fusion 8 towers which are awesome BTW. My concern right now is that I want a better surround experience. I currently have the polk audio F/Xi bipole/dipole speakers and I have never been too thrilled with them, they dont seem to give me a very immersive experience nor do they give those moments were things fly by, over the head or from front to back on the left or right etc.

My biggest concern is that, in a 5.1 setup the only place I can put the surrounds is on the wall behind me. We have a traditional front room setup in my mind with a row of 3 chairs along one wall and the television on a stand with the towers in front but to the left is a wall and to the right is partially open to the kitchen. The surrounds currently are on the wall behind my seating, about 4 foot above ear level and about 5 feet to the left and right of the center chair. With the wall to the left, the left surround being the triangle shape, the one side faces directly at the wall (its up against the left wall, but mounted on the wall behind me), I am not able to place the surrounds to the left and right of me, they have to be on the wall behind me.

I think the Volt 6 in the angled box would work well, I read they have a wider dispersion then the larger woofer models but I eventually will probably build something different for front mains like the 1099 or the 1299 or some other tower option that Eric may come out with down the road. I currently have no center channel. I want the surrounds to be future proof. I can choose any of the volt options, I have about 350$ to spend. Thank you for any advice you can provide!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the Fusion 8 fronts and center and love them. When I had to make the same choice you are making right now I decided to go with the Volt8s. It was nice to have them all match size and if I ever go bigger for fronts I know that the 8's will keep up just fine. I have them on the sides and about 2 feet back from the listening position as well and they are amazing. I am am actually considering 2 more for rears mounted on the ceiling but havent had the time to do the research and planning yet.

#3 ·
Thats a good thought, it might bug me down the road not having them match in a way haha, my initial thoughts were to go with the Volt 8 and I never questioned it but now that I am ready to pull the trigger I wanna make sure I get what I want and what will serve me for years to come.

I see you mentioned your surrounds are on the sides, I assume you mean directly to the left and ride of your seating, with the woofer facing the side of you? In my case, they would be on the wall behind me with the woofer facing that back of me basically except there above ear level by about 4 feet and then off to the side about 5 or 6 feet from the center chair. Honestly I am not sure if that is the best place for surrounds or not but I dont have much choice. Hopefully these Volts work in my case...

I attached a crappy picture so you at least have an idea of placement. I know, its a mess right now hahaha

Attachments

#4 ·
I'm jealous of your seats. How about putting he volts sideways so they are angles in towards the listener. Still on the back wall but with the angle facing sideways instead of down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
haha thanks, I really like the chairs but the crappy vinyl / fake leather has not held up very well, you can see on the center chair how its flaked off horribly.

Anyway, I guess I had never thought of hanging them like that, I am not against it but I am not sure if that would help me or not? I like the idea though since I pretty much have no other options. I have sent a message to Eric and pictures also, I am still waiting on his opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.