Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

Old 07-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerPower View Post
There IS a center tap on residential power. The neutral is tied to it. From transformer "ends" you get +120V and -120V. Either hot to neutral gets 120V. Hot to hot is 240VAC. What Luke did is fine as long as the caveats in my email are observed.
I have been a Journeyman Electrician for over 26 years, yes, I know there is a neutral in a 240/120v split-phase residential Service... obviously I was referring to the multi-wire circuit containing L1, L2 and ground.... no neutral. Anal, maybe....
But accurate.

Done

Now, lets see more posts about those amps!

Last edited by rich121; 07-01-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 505
So I don't "ass"ume, are the xlr looping outputs used for another sub. 1 driver 1 box, hooked to 1 driver 1 box. Im looking at the plate amp SP1-4000
Old 07-06-2016, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
So I don't "ass"ume, are the xlr looping outputs used for another sub. 1 driver 1 box, hooked to 1 driver 1 box. Im looking at the plate amp SP1-4000
The XLR looping output is in parallel to the XLR input, no signal processing applied.

The SP1-4000 has a Speakon looping out that allows a slave cabinet to be connected to the AMPLIFIER output. All signal processing and amplification applied. If you need it.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerPower View Post
The XLR looping output is in parallel to the XLR input, no signal processing applied.

The SP1-4000 has a Speakon looping out that allows a slave cabinet to be connected to the AMPLIFIER output. All signal processing and amplification applied. If you need it.
Ok, I see its at the bottom next to the power supply. Im still wrapping my head around the Molex pin wiring diagram.

Other than a 2cuft minimum for sealed enclosure any other recommendations as far as heat dispersion is concerned.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Does anyone have any pictures of these rack-mount SP amps? The 12000 for example?
Old 07-07-2016, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of these rack-mount SP amps? The 12000 for example?
I have some in the first post.

EDIT: Second post
Old 07-07-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 2312 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
Quote:
here
Official SpeakerPower amplifier thread
Old 07-07-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ Whoops - I meant to ask about "internal" pictures, not pictures. The inside of the amp
Old 07-07-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^ Whoops - I meant to ask about "internal" pictures, not pictures. The inside of the amp
Follow the links, scroll.

I'd post em here, but not sure he wants the internal pics published in this thread.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

I'd post em here, but not sure he wants the internal pics published in this thread.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

not sure why he would care now if i bought the amp from him shipped it off to china and had it cloned then he might care
Old 07-07-2016, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk View Post
not sure why he would care now if i bought the amp from him shipped it off to china and had it cloned then he might care
*shrug* if he wanted that published in any official or semi official channel he likely would have. If he doesn't care I'll post the hires images, but not doing so without an ok.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
*shrug* if he wanted that published in any official or semi official channel he likely would have. If he doesn't care I'll post the hires images, but not doing so without an ok.
so u don't mind buying amps from china that are stolen ip , but posting a picture of another amp is taboo b/c the guy who owns the company posts occasionally k lol ....
Old 07-07-2016, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
so u don't mind buying amps from china that are stolen ip , but posting a picture of another amp is taboo b/c the guy who owns the company posts occasionally k lol ....
You're the only one in this thread talking about china. Stay on topic or post in another thread please.
notnyt, SpinMonster and 18Hurts like this.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And I wouldn't go posting about them in an official LG thread either. The pictures are posted, heavens forbid you have to follow an extra link to view them.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any thoughts of 2ohm or 4ohm load as far as better for the plate amps. Im going to use a sp1 4000, starting with 2 drivers in sealed separate enclosures. I may move to 2 enclosures 2 drivers each. I know Seaton does this with f18 but not sure what ohm his speakers are or if they are dvc.

Drivers im using are 12" dvc, I may be overthinking this, any thoughts.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Any thoughts of 2ohm or 4ohm load as far as better for the plate amps. Im going to use a sp1 4000, starting with 2 drivers in sealed separate enclosures. I may move to 2 enclosures 2 drivers each. I know Seaton does this with f18 but not sure what ohm his speakers are or if they are dvc.

Drivers im using are 12" dvc, I may be overthinking this, any thoughts.
the 4000 is voltage limited with 4 ohm loads. You can get more power into a 2 ohm load.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Speakerpower SP1-4000-HT plate amp

Hi, I just want to make a few comments regarding the Speakerpower SP1-4000-HT plate amp. I ordered one almost two months ago. I was told it was going to take at least three weeks to receive since they have to make it. I told them if they could do it in 10-days or so since I had my inlaw visiting and I wanted him to run the wires on my subs and connect the amp (he's good with electricity). Anyways, I got my amp shipped to my house in 9-days. I realize that Speakerpower has a lot of work, they provide amps to JTR, Seaton, PSA and Reaction audio. They went out of their way to make my amp and delivered it quickly, that's what I call customer service!!

I've been using the amp for a few weeks now and simply love it. It's powering four 15" JBL GTI MKII DVC6ohms subs in dual opposed sealed boxes. Each box is about 5cf and fully stuffed. All the subs are wired for a final load of 3ohms. The amps does 2,800/4 and 4,000/2 so at 3ohms I'm guessing it does somewhere between 3-3,500 watts which is perfect for my subs which handle 800wrs each. The amp is on the master box connected to a slave box. Both of my sub boxes are in the front corners of the room, which is about 5,500 to 6,000 square feet.

The only thing I found somewhat frustating was when the subs were on the auto switch of the amp. The amp seemed to be hunting for a signal to activate itself, it made clicking sounds. That was when watching TV. I put the switch to on, connected the amp to a smart power strip that I bought and that problem was solved. Also, the back of the amp is open which I find somewhat confusing since previous amps that I had always had the back covered. I wonder why is that? Should not the amp internals be protected with a cover? I don't see any heat sinks or fans on the amp either. Here are the things I like about the amp:

1. Power, there's plenty of it to drive all my subs to or near their limits. This is the most powerful amp I've used. Previous amps I had were Crest Prolite 3.0DSP, Yamaha P7000, ED LT1300 plate amp and Funk Audio 2,400Watts plate amp. Going by Notnyt's test of the SP2-8000 amp, I feel confident that this amp should do half the power of the SP2-8000 amp.
2. Efficiency, I believe this amp is over 90% efficient. Why is that important to me? I have it connected with the rest of my gear on one 15A circuit and so far, no problems whatsoever. It produces less heat and runs cool.
3. Size, it's a very small and lightweight amp, some six pounds or so. Also, I doesn't take any rack space like a regular amp would.
4. Quiet, I love this feature!! I can't overstated it. No need to mod fans or bright lights to worry about.
5. Gain/Volt issues when connected to a receiver, issues I had in the past. No bump boxes to worry about.
6. Built here and by its history, Speakerpower has been a very reliable brand.
7. Features, there's plenty of them. Gain, Delay/Phase, Crossover (to 120hz), auto/on/12v trigger, on/off swicth, speakon outlet out for a second sub, XLR/RCA inputs and LF Adjust. The LF is very valuable since you can adjust it to fit the size of your room. You can bump up the low bass or lower it, depending on your room gain. The Speakon connector out is also important if you need to connect a second sub to the amp, which is my case. Seaton Sound also does it with their submersives.

The negatives? These amps are not cheap but they have come down in price and have more features than before. For under $1,000, I think it's not bad, considering all you get. Are there better bang for the $ amps out there? Yes there are, but do they offer all of the above options? Also, I would like to see a more extensive DSP, perhaps some parametric EQ. In my case, my Denon, with its XT32 does a very good job with the sub's EQ. I took a couple of pics of the amp for you to see. Brian and co. at Speakerpower, great job!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01264.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1537217   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01272.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1537225  

Last edited by spanish68; 07-09-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Adding information.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@spanish68 thanks for posting this, couldnt be better timing since im on the verge of pulling the triggger. Im doing the same setup as you have just diffferent drivers. Im looking forward to getting one of these, sounds like you couldnt have had a better experience. Brian Ill be in touch
Old 07-09-2016, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Old 07-11-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 28
@SpeakerPower I have a quick question. It looks like the SP1-1400-HT only has one input. That of course means there is no way to adjust the delay of one speaker vs the other, right? Does the SP4-2800-DP have four inputs? It might be worthwhile to put a pic of the back of SP4-2800-DP (and the other rack mount amps) on the website.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Krister
Old 07-11-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish68 View Post
Hi, I just want to make a few comments regarding the Speakerpower SP1-4000-HT plate amp. I ordered one almost two months ago. I was told it was going to take at least three weeks to receive since they have to make it. I told them if they could do it in 10-days or so since I had my inlaw visiting and I wanted him to run the wires on my subs and connect the amp (he's good with electricity). Anyways, I got my amp shipped to my house in 9-days. I realize that Speakerpower has a lot of work, they provide amps to JTR, Seaton, PSA and Reaction audio. They went out of their way to make my amp and delivered it quickly, that's what I call customer service!!

I've been using the amp for a few weeks now and simply love it. It's powering four 15" JBL GTI MKII DVC6ohms subs in dual opposed sealed boxes. Each box is about 5cf and fully stuffed. All the subs are wired for a final load of 3ohms. The amps does 2,800/4 and 4,000/2 so at 3ohms I'm guessing it does somewhere between 3-3,500 watts which is perfect for my subs which handle 800wrs each. The amp is on the master box connected to a slave box. Both of my sub boxes are in the front corners of the room, which is about 5,500 to 6,000 square feet.

The only thing I found somewhat frustating was when the subs were on the auto switch of the amp. The amp seemed to be hunting for a signal to activate itself, it made clicking sounds. That was when watching TV. I put the switch to on, connected the amp to a smart power strip that I bought and that problem was solved. Also, the back of the amp is open which I find somewhat confusing since previous amps that I had always had the back covered. I wonder why is that? Should not the amp internals be protected with a cover? I don't see any heat sinks or fans on the amp either. Here are the things I like about the amp:

1. Power, there's plenty of it to drive all my subs to or near their limits. This is the most powerful amp I've used. Previous amps I had were Crest Prolite 3.0DSP, Yamaha P7000, ED LT1300 plate amp and Funk Audio 2,400Watts plate amp. Going by Notnyt's test of the SP2-8000 amp, I feel confident that this amp should do half the power of the SP2-8000 amp.
2. Efficiency, I believe this amp is over 90% efficient. Why is that important to me? I have it connected with the rest of my gear on one 15A circuit and so far, no problems whatsoever. It produces less heat and runs cool.
3. Size, it's a very small and lightweight amp, some six pounds or so. Also, I doesn't take any rack space like a regular amp would.
4. Quiet, I love this feature!! I can't overstated it. No need to mod fans or bright lights to worry about.
5. Gain/Volt issues when connected to a receiver, issues I had in the past. No bump boxes to worry about.
6. Built here and by its history, Speakerpower has been a very reliable brand.
7. Features, there's plenty of them. Gain, Delay/Phase, Crossover (to 120hz), auto/on/12v trigger, on/off swicth, speakon outlet out for a second sub, XLR/RCA inputs and LF Adjust. The LF is very valuable since you can adjust it to fit the size of your room. You can bump up the low bass or lower it, depending on your room gain. The Speakon connector out is also important if you need to connect a second sub to the amp, which is my case. Seaton Sound also does it with their submersives.

The negatives? These amps are not cheap but they have come down in price and have more features than before. For under $1,000, I think it's not bad, considering all you get. Are there better bang for the $ amps out there? Yes there are, but do they offer all of the above options? Also, I would like to see a more extensive DSP, perhaps some parametric EQ. In my case, my Denon, with its XT32 does a very good job with the sub's EQ. I took a couple of pics of the amp for you to see. Brian and co. at Speakerpower, great job!
Glad to hear you are enjoying your amp. Eliminating the back cover was one of the cost savings that allowed us to offer the -HT amps at a lower price. But the power and efficiency are the same. Auto On with signal can be made more sensitive by lowing the volume control on the amp and raising the level coming from the preamp.

Brian
Old 07-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post
@SpeakerPower I have a quick question. It looks like the SP1-1400-HT only has one input. That of course means there is no way to adjust the delay of one speaker vs the other, right? Does the SP4-2800-DP have four inputs? It might be worthwhile to put a pic of the back of SP4-2800-DP (and the other rack mount amps) on the website.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
You are correct, the SP1-1400 has one input and two output amplifier channels with the same signal on both. The SP4-2800 has four inputs and four amplifier channel output. Can be a different signal on each. No built in DSP.

At the bottom of the Technical Specifications page is a PDF that has front and rear photos. http://www.speakerpower.net/specifications.html
krholmberg likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
It's fine with me if you want to post interior photos. I'm not worried about chinese imitations. The magic is in the details of the circuit, pcb layout, and microcontroller code.

Brian
chrapladm likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well then, for those looking, here's interior of sp2-8000

krholmberg and chrapladm like this.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:

To look at that, you would think that there is no way that it makes the power that it does. Impressive!
Old 07-11-2016, 04:47 PM

You realize you just voided your warranty....... JUST KIDDING!
dwaleke, baniels, notnyt and 3 others like this.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not mine Still waiting for mine to get built. Then I'll take some nice pics of the SP2-12000

That was still a low res pic, if you have any desire for higher res versions where you can read everything on the boards lemme know, as I have a studio with a nifty lighting setup I've been using to photograph these.

and front/back

krholmberg likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Quoted: 2359 Post(s)
Liked: 2604
Quote:

ah man, now the secret of the fan shrouds is out.

are you wiring for 240v while you wait?

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
ah man, now the secret of the fan shrouds is out.

are you wiring for 240v while you wait?
Not until I get them. Still powering my fp14ks. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so. I have dedi 30a runs, just moving the neutral to the other phase and swapping outlets. I have the breakers, outlets, and plates ready to go.
LTD02 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement