DIYSG Maximus 12lxe + Volt 10lx + Stonehenge - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By acrvp
  • 1 Post By rhodesj
  • 1 Post By acrvp

post #1 of 29 Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Cool Maximus 12lxe + Volt 10lx + Stonehenge Build Thread

So far it's been a bit over a year since I started building my theater. I've been doing it a little at a time...

This is it so right now.. Far from complete, and far from pretty, but it's at least functional.

The before, just laying things out... Went with a 100" screen, the tv behind it is a 42"

Can't beat these flatpacks, they are just so simple and such a nice design.

Glueing things up

These pillows looked jammed in there, but they look deceiving because they are glued to the sides.

Final panel glued

Stereo Integrity 18" Can for scale

The speaker up top is a fusion-6. Great little speaker, I built them for our kitchen.

On to the surrounds. If you've seen one box glued you've seen them all. These are volt 10lx

My amazing AV rack that I custom designed and poured all of my blood sweat and tears into for about 5 minutes. This is on the other side of the wall in the unfinished part of the basement.

Right side where surrounds ended up. These volt 10's are seriously impressive.. I moved the two side one's up to the front while I waited for my mains. I have no problem recommending them as mains in a ported box they are that good.

Time for the big guns.. Three Maximus 12 lxe's.

Glueing a little bit at a time. Went with the flat packs for the bottom. Can't beat them.

Finished bottom

Measured and cut port tube for tuning of ~36hz

Completed top

Crossover for the Max12 lxe's... I opted to keep them external to the boxes so I could make tweaks if desired based on the room and screen for the center channel.

Can for scale..

Still to do:

1. Room treatments, room treatments, and more room treatments. I'll be building many bass traps and panels over this summer. Already ran a few measurements with REW and the room is clearly a big box and that hotwheels track isn't absorbing as much as I hoped.

2. Painting all things. Speakers, Ceiling, Walls. Also hiding the speakers behind the faux wall.

3. Two more volt 10's for atmos height speakers just so I don't regret it in the future.

Total equipment list:
-100" Cheapo Elitescreen AT screen, the 4k mesh.
-Benq w1070
-Two SI-18's in Diysoundgroup stonehenge boxes
-Behringer iNUKE 3000DSP
-Four Volt 10 LX speakers for the surrounds
-Three Maximus 12 LXE speakers for the mains
-Some decent onkyo avr that probably fell off a truck because I got it for too cheap. Eventually it will be replaced with something that has dirac and 9 channels but the room needs treated first.
-HTPC I built running kodi
lz7j, eng-399, Fattykidd and 1 others like this.

Last edited by acrvp; 04-13-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Awesome start to your HT journey aka the Rabbit Hole! I think you might be the first person to build, or at least post about the Maximus-12 LXE. I've had my eyes on that set for quite a while now but I've been waiting for reviews.

For reference, what type of speakers have you owned or heard before? And can you please provide your subjective impressions on the Max-12LXE?

Cheers!

--------------------------
For sale:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...ta-canada.html
post #3 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
Awesome start to your HT journey aka the Rabbit Hole! I think you might be the first person to build, or at least post about the Maximus-12 LXE. I've had my eyes on that set for quite a while now but I've been waiting for reviews.

For reference, what type of speakers have you owned or heard before? And can you please provide your subjective impressions on the Max-12LXE?

Cheers!
Thanks! My whole reason for going with the max12's were to be able to throw anything at them, without compromise, as I generally listen to 50/50 music/movies. I also wanted a platform that could be tweaked/eq'd in any direction if desired.

I've owned a lot of different speakers over the years, some polks, some klipsch, and some martin logans, and these quite obviously are in a different league. It's like driving a mustang your entire life and then switching to a Ferrari.

However without treating my room I know I have yet to really hear what these can do. It's like asking me how I like that new Ferrari when I've only driven it around the block a couple of times, yeah I can tell it's going to be ridiculous, but I haven't taken it to the racetrack yet. What I can say about the max12's is they are very balanced. I was worried with the ported 12 that it was going to be bass crazy at low volumes, but I'm happy to report everything sounds just right all volume levels.
post #4 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 07:27 AM
IDW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I too have been waiting with baited breath for impressions of the Maximus 12-lxe...so any in depth thoughts you can give would be appreciated...though already like the ferrari comparisons I hope to buy some in 3-4 months or so if they're available.
post #5 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDW View Post
I too have been waiting with baited breath for impressions of the Maximus 12-lxe...so any in depth thoughts you can give would be appreciated...though already like the ferrari comparisons I hope to buy some in 3-4 months or so if they're available.
It's a no brainer purchase, of course they are going to sound amazing, I mean just look at what they are made of... I will also say they have no problem playing reference loud on a standard consumer grade AVR, and they are obviously a night and day difference between the volt 10lx's I was using for my mains while I waited for the max12's, as well as the martin logan towers I used to have (I let them go as a part of the deal selling my old house).

Again I was most concerned with how they would behave a lower volume levels as I've had a few speakers sound great turned up, but muddy or unbalanced when turned down. Happy to report these are great and everything remains in balance. And turned up they don't break a sweat no matter what you throw at them. I am impressed by how "proper" they behave. I've run a lot of tracks that I find problematic on many systems, ones are heavy with high midbase, such as a bass guitar, and they play them perfectly... Basically you feel the kick of the drumbs, but not the boomy/muddy sound from the bass guitar, it's like it would be for a live performance.

I've been running these for 2 weeks, and the one thing I haven't tried out yet is a low quality audio source or very poorly mastered track. So far I haven't played anything through them that hasn't been glorious, and unfortunately even the disney jr. is in DD 5.1, so can't really say that anything LQ has been through them.
post #6 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 09:47 AM
IDW

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thank you! Now I just need to monitor for availability and save up for em!
post #7 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrvp View Post
Thanks! My whole reason for going with the max12's were to be able to throw anything at them, without compromise, as I generally listen to 50/50 music/movies. I also wanted a platform that could be tweaked/eq'd in any direction if desired.

I've owned a lot of different speakers over the years, some polks, some klipsch, and some martin logans, and these quite obviously are in a different league. It's like driving a mustang your entire life and then switching to a Ferrari.

However without treating my room I know I have yet to really hear what these can do. It's like asking me how I like that new Ferrari when I've only driven it around the block a couple of times, yeah I can tell it's going to be ridiculous, but I haven't taken it to the racetrack yet. What I can say about the max12's is they are very balanced. I was worried with the ported 12 that it was going to be bass crazy at low volumes, but I'm happy to report everything sounds just right all volume levels.
Which Klipsch speakers did you have before? I currently have RF-7ii's and am curious to hear your impressions on how they might stack up against the Maximus 12's. You might be the first person to build some!

Graphs do not lie. But they do say whatever we want them to say - PT 2010
post #8 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDooku View Post
Which Klipsch speakers did you have before? I currently have RF-7ii's and am curious to hear your impressions on how they might stack up against the Maximus 12's. You might be the first person to build some!
Honestly I can't remember exactly what the model was, I ended up replacing them with the Martin Logan's in my old place because they were too bright for my taste, but I do know they were midrange in whatever the reference line was the time they were manufactured (I bought them used for dirt cheap, they were a late 90's model). Comparing them though wouldn't be fair, like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight.

One funny thing, the magnet on the compression driver is just ridiculous.. When attaching it to the waveguide I could let go of the wrench, and instead of dropping to the floor it would get sucked to the driver haha.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Honestly I can't remember exactly what the model was, I ended up replacing them with the Martin Logan's in my old place because they were too bright for my taste, but I do know they were midrange in whatever the reference line was the time they were manufactured (I bought them used for dirt cheap, they were a late 90's model). Comparing them though wouldn't be fair, like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight.

One funny thing, the magnet on the compression driver is just ridiculous.. When attaching it to the waveguide I could let go of the wrench, and instead of dropping to the floor it would get sucked to the driver haha.
What height did your wave guide end up at?

post #10 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What height did your wave guide end up at?
Ear level, would you like me to measure? The nice part about them being in separate boxes is obviously being able to adjust the height as desired.
post #11 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Ear level, would you like me to measure? The nice part about them being in separate boxes is obviously being able to adjust the height as desired.
Sure if it wouldn't be too much trouble. I'm trying to decide how high the wave guide will be if I go with the dual woofer Maximus which might require me to make the lower box a little taller.

post #12 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sure if it wouldn't be too much trouble. I'm trying to decide how high the wave guide will be if I go with the dual woofer Maximus which might require me to make the lower box a little taller.
No problem, you'll just have to wait until I get home later tonight.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's ~38" to the dead center of the waveguide from the ground. Flipping the box upside down makes the waveguide ~31" from the ground.
post #14 of 29 Old 04-13-2016, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 425
I've been drawing up plans for my Maximus build and estimated a dual woofer model could be done with a 27.25" woofer box. That's with the Magnum 12 at 12.5" diameter and 3/4" space between woofers and the top and bottom edges of the box. Erich made his MBM flat packs 26" tall, so you might be able to squeeze two woofers into that space.

BTW, acrvp, I'm totally jealous. I've had other homeowner projects get in the way of my fun projects this year, so I haven't even started construction on Maximii, but I'm getting impatient to get going!
post #15 of 29 Old 04-14-2016, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
I've been drawing up plans for my Maximus build and estimated a dual woofer model could be done with a 27.25" woofer box. That's with the Magnum 12 at 12.5" diameter and 3/4" space between woofers and the top and bottom edges of the box. Erich made his MBM flat packs 26" tall, so you might be able to squeeze two woofers into that space.

BTW, acrvp, I'm totally jealous. I've had other homeowner projects get in the way of my fun projects this year, so I haven't even started construction on Maximii, but I'm getting impatient to get going!
Thanks! I know the feeling of other projects getting in the way all too well. I can't imagine needing a second woofer for all but the biggest rooms.
post #16 of 29 Old 04-14-2016, 06:04 AM

I'm still in the planning phase, but would like to build a dual woofer box and keep the low tune of 30-35 hz which might be a bit crazy. I might end up having to use a one piece baffle but that would complicate aiming the speaker and require a much bigger build. I also had dreams up upgrading the tweeter to an AMT later down the line but maybe I should just build my first pair of speakers ever and then figure that out...

post #17 of 29 Old 04-14-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 552
@AVR cp three of those bad boys is my dream setup. Having heard just one of those mag12's that @mtg90 built as a sub at @eng-399 's place in a 30x15x9 room was impressive all on its own. Three of them tuned higher underpinning Bagby designed mains has to be friggin nirvana!! Wish you lived in the Midwest and didn't mind sharing a listen with an audio nerd you'd never met. Ha!
post #18 of 29 Old 04-14-2016, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
@AVR cp three of those bad boys is my dream setup. Having heard just one of those mag12's that @mtg90 built as a sub at @eng-399 's place in a 30x15x9 room was impressive all on its own. Three of them tuned higher underpinning Bagby designed mains has to be friggin nirvana!! Wish you lived in the Midwest and didn't mind sharing a listen with an audio nerd you'd never met. Ha!
Haha yeah they are pretty sick. Wife and I were relaxing last night and listening to whatever randomly came up, Roses by Chainsmokers played and actually heard my wife utter a "wow" which was encouraging.

I'll take a video of them and you can have a listen just kidding of course. Find me after I treat my room and I'd consider a listening session.
post #19 of 29 Old 04-14-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Haha yeah they are pretty sick. Wife and I were relaxing last night and listening to whatever randomly came up, Roses by Chainsmokers played and actually heard my wife utter a "wow" which was encouraging.

I'll take a video of them and you can have a listen just kidding of course. Find me after I treat my room and I'd consider a listening session.
Take a video. I can't wait to listen to them on my Bose cubes... They make everything sound so good! jk

post #20 of 29 Old 04-14-2016, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Take a video. I can't wait to listen to them on my Bose cubes... They make everything sound so good! jk
bose is life. nothing to joke about.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-15-2016, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
they are obviously a night and day difference between the volt 10lx's I was using for my mains while I waited for the max12's,

Can you expand on that? I've been considering doing some volt10lxs on top of (and actively crossed with ) some mbm-12s.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #22 of 29 Old 04-15-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
Can you expand on that? I've been considering doing some volt10lxs on top of (and actively crossed with ) some mbm-12s.
Volts were never designed to compete with something like the Maximus-12. It will get louder, handle more power, have more bass, better midrange, and better high end than the Volt-10. Of course it should have all those things, but at a much higher cost.

Some people think the Maximus is just a small speaker sitting on top of a midbass module, but it's really a full fledged 3-way speaker like the 893, 1099, 1899, etc. You can aim the top section which was one point of the design, but the top section still needs to sit on top, but an be raised a couple inches if needed. I had someone say they wanted that speaker because they could mount the top portion up on the wall and use the 12" bottom section as a subwoofer. That won't work and it would be like removing the mids and waveguide from the 1099 and putting the 10" woofers somewhere else.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-15-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 425
A couple thoughts on your question, Vision, though I can't answer all of it directly: Volt 10 LXs sound great. I'm literally listening to a pair right now, on my desk, crossed at 80 to a Lab-15-4 in Erich's Cube 15 enclosure. Great match, I need earplugs to listen to this setup with the AVR cranked to 0, They're crystal clear at eardrum-cracking volume, and are just as clean and smooth with no earplugs and the volume at -20. I have a set of Maximus LXE kits waiting for me to find time to build them, and I hope they sound better if for no other reason than the fact that they're more expensive. Writing that makes me second-guess myself just a tiny bit, because DIY has shown me that great sounding speakers don't have to be expensive. That's the awesome thing about DIY. No bull****, just speakers meant to be as good as they can.

As an additional set of options you might want to be aware of, mtg posted a passive crossover for the Concentric 8 and Magnum 12 woofer somewhere forget if that was here or on Erich's DIYSG forum. I can dig it up if it makes sense for you. And Jeff Bagby posted over on Techtalk that his "(almost) universal" woofer module crossover should work with the Fusion 8 and Magnum 12 here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...16#post1105516 And the details on his woofer module are here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...y-loudspeakers And for that matter, the regular Maximus 12 basically is a Fusion 8 on top of the Magnum woofer, but it uses the 10" waveguide. Given the costs of an active crossover between Volts and a Magnum, one of those passive options might make sense for you.
Erich H likes this.
post #24 of 29 Old 04-15-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 552
post #25 of 29 Old 04-15-2016, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Volts were never designed to compete with something like the Maximus-12. It will get louder, handle more power, have more bass, better midrange, and better high end than the Volt-10. Of course it should have all those things, but at a much higher cost.

Some people think the Maximus is just a small speaker sitting on top of a midbass module, but it's really a full fledged 3-way speaker like the 893, 1099, 1899, etc. You can aim the top section which was one point of the design, but the top section still needs to sit on top, but an be raised a couple inches if needed. I had someone say they wanted that speaker because they could mount the top portion up on the wall and use the 12" bottom section as a subwoofer. That won't work and it would be like removing the mids and waveguide from the 1099 and putting the 10" woofers somewhere else.
I was thinking of placing sealed volt10 directly on top of the mbm similar to maximus but I could do it in stages as in get the mbm now, integrate them with my current speakers then down the line get the volt10s.

I know the Max12 is 3way which is why I was going to make the volt/mbm a 3way active setup, already have a 4 channel electronic crossover I was going to try sitting in a box not being used, and an extra gfa555 ( current RC-70 speakers on acurus a200 )

Part of my thought was because eventually to add a center I was thinking a volt8lx sealed inside a larger ported cab with a pair of mean 8 midbass and run that active as well ( center is ran on its on HCA1000 so already have enough amp to do it ) to be a similar setup or at least voice similar to volt/mbm12. my space in my tv console is max 10Hx39Wx22D, I dont think I could fit a cinema 8 center with extra midbass in that.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #26 of 29 Old 06-25-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 22
@acrvp Did you build your own enclosures? What are the dimensions? If one does the dual 12" version, that's basically a 1299 with higher quality components, right? What do you think the best option for someone who needs a horizontal center channel but is interested in having the Maximus-12LXE for mains? Having shallow mains would make life easier so I'm now thinking 88 Special but I'm looking for options. A shallow sealed 1299 would be awesome but a flat pack is preferred.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Krister
post #27 of 29 Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Below is the first decent measurements of a single max12 lxe and the two stonehenge subs with si18's powered by an inuke3000dsp. The max12 lxe is running off of a onkyo tx-nr737. The room has next to no room treatments only 6 inches of roxul safe and sound at the first reflection points, it's square with a short 6ft hallway at one side. 20' wide, 22' long, 7.5' ceilings. Mic was placed in center seating position, 11ft from the screen, so probably like 15 ft from the max12. The sub is crossed at 60hz just to point out that the null between 40-80hz is a room / placement issue that I'm still working on. 1/48 smoothing. Using a Dayton UMM-6 Calibrated by csacoustics

Full Res

As you can see from the below graph, these things are stupid efficient, and god damn do they dig deep. This is with that mid range avr, -20db registered pink noise at 76db on my spl meter. These are the measurements for just ONE max12 lxe, one at 0db and the other at -20db. Also a thing of importance is how they sound identical at all volumes (seriously I didn't save the sweep, but I did one at a much quieter -35db).

Full Res

Even with just treating the first reflection points, these things are something very very special. It's been a long time since I've had a genuine wtf reaction listening to a set of speakers. Kudos to Erich and Jeff for such an amazing kit. All of it, the lows, mids, and that compression driver are just so perfect. I can't wait to finish the room treatments and lots of bass traps.
dwaleke likes this.

Last edited by acrvp; Yesterday at 08:58 AM.
post #28 of 29 Old Today, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

So screwing around with a bunch of safe and sound last night, I'm not sure how to approach treating the short hallway off the side of the room that seems to be causing the big dips around 140 and 260hz. Seems like putting a bunch of pink fluffy at the end of it floor to ceiling may be my only option? The hallway is about 8ft long and it ends with a wall, with a bathroom on the left. It's really a pointless hallway, if they (previous owners) just extended the wall a little bit to remove the hallway and instead put a door there the bathroom would just be that much bigger. That'll probably be the end fix, but I won't do that until the little one's are a bit older. Until then what are my best options?
post #29 of 29 Old Today, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
The hallway/alcove is acting like a resonator and causing a dip at those frequencies. If you have a moving blanket or soundproof curtains, you can try hanging it over the hallway opening, see if that disrupts the resonating action and reduces the dip.

My room has a 4ft x 4ft alcove where the door opens in, and it causes a similar dip at 130hz and 250hz. It took me along time measuring, changing placement, checking sbir before realising it was the alcove causing the dip. I confirmed it because the dip goes away with the door even slightly ajar, basically killing the resonant action.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page