Dual 15" HT Subwoofer build 9ft^3 under $200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 04-13-2016, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Dual 15" HT Subwoofer build 9ft^3 under $200

Hello everyone I'm new to AVS but have really been enjoying the projects here and the crazy passion a lot of you have! I recently got back into DIY speaker building and have been really enjoying a bunch of projects.

To continue the speakers I've been building for our TV room (I can post more info about the mains and center I made) I recently built a dual 15" subwoofer cabinet, it's very large and will sit in the corner of the room which is currently empty and behind an end table. Got the wife's approval after some convincing =)

The enclosure

I built the enclosure to be 9.5 cubic feet minus ports, subs and bracing it's closer to 9.0. I also made the baffle removable so I can easily repurpose the enclosure for virtually whatever I want, even the ports and terminals are attached to the baffle so once it comes off any of many different configurations of speakers and ports can be used. It is built out of 3/4" maple plywood and heavily braced with 1/2" pine plywood internally. I think at some point I'll put a long excursion 18" in this as 9 cubit feel works very well.

Outside dims are 48" tall, 24" wide and 18" deep.

Once the front baffle is bolted on it is essentially 1.5" thick. I didn't have to use any sealing mechanism between the baffle and the enclosure, everything was flat and tight and once bolted up is completely air tight. The vertical corners feature a 1" roundover, visually it is the same as the PS2 speakers and center channel I already built. Stain is black Varathane with Minwax rattle can semigloss polyeurethane. The feet are large 1.5" rubber from Amazon.

The ports are really nice 3" flare ports from Parts Express on clearance for only $4 each. I need to DATS the enclosure to be sure my port tuning is where I want it to be, but I calculated it to be 25hz, but these flare ports are tricky to get right as the length is arbitrary once you include the flared section.

Subwoofers

I recently came across Eminence's website where they are clearing out their "Eminator" subwoofer line, I picked up 4 15" for $34 each..shipped! Can't beat that price, they have inventory of 10 and 12" too, for the money they are really nice subs, used to sell for $100 each, stamped steel frame but reasonably sized motor, voice coil and decent xmax too. They are also very efficient at 94db each.

Overall Cost

This subwoofer cost me well under $200 to build complete, $68 for the subwoofers and $75 for the plywood. Amplification I'll be running this subwoofer off an Adcom GFA-555 (about 350w/channel) and out of the LFE output on my Denon AVR-X4200W reciever which also has Audyssey XT32 in room equalization.

As you can see in room response is flat to 20hz, it modeled well to 30. And that is with no EQ.

I think it is easily hitting 115db in room but I don't have a mic that reads that high, it easily hits 100db with a few watts and gets MUCH louder than that still.

Finished product

And compared to my 4 year old son =)

Hope you enjoy the project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muzz, DavidK442 and danmn1313 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Here it is doing a 5hz sine wave

And hidden in its final spot =)

neo_2009 likes this.
post #3 of 36 Old 04-13-2016, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Liked: 645
What a fantastic build, congrats !! I bet your son has an even bigger smile when a movie is playing

You seem to be very experienced in DIY based on the quality of the build.

post #4 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
What a fantastic build, congrats !! I bet your son has an even bigger smile when a movie is playing

You seem to be very experienced in DIY based on the quality of the build.

Thanks @Defcon ! I'll post more of my projects soon, I ran a small business building home speakers using mostly Vifa drivers back in the mid to last 90's and got out of it, but started getting back into it about 6mo ago and haven't looked back.

Incredible how much has changed during that time and what cool new tech and product is available these days =)
post #5 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Wicked build...

Cant beat that pricing!
post #6 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Beautiful build. Where are you located out of curiosity.....

My Setup | FS: Salamander Synergy 303, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Sanus UF22 Speaker Stands, Nintendo Wii, 5 channel Polk LSi system (all threads here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #7 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
@EndersShadow I'm in the Bay Area, CA, if anyone is in the area hit me up =)

post #8 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadzi View Post
Thanks guys!
@EndersShadow I'm in the Bay Area, CA, if anyone is in the area hit me up =)

Hey you're my neighbor!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey you're my neighbor!!

Nice! Shoot me an email =)
Js@034motorsport.com
post #10 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Hey you're my neighbor!!

Darn, your cross country lol
wlhungdude likes this.

My Setup | FS: Salamander Synergy 303, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Sanus UF22 Speaker Stands, Nintendo Wii, 5 channel Polk LSi system (all threads here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #11 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 27
where at in the Bay?
post #12 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbclamper View Post
where at in the Bay?

Live in San Ramon, work in Fremont
post #13 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anybody model these drivers to see how they perform? $25 shipped seems to be a pretty good deal.
action_jackson likes this.
post #14 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgear View Post
Anybody model these drivers to see how they perform? $25 shipped seems to be a pretty good deal.
I did obviously for the 15" and this is pretty much what they look like, in room response they are easily flat to 20hz with no EQ (as posted above)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eminator dual 15.png
Views:	133
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1380810  
post #15 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was just curious if they would work for a small nearfield sub. I don't the misses would want a 3rd box that size in the living room
post #16 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgear View Post
I was just curious if they would work for a small nearfield sub. I don't the misses would want a 3rd box that size in the living room

In modeling this didn't come across as a good subwoofer for a small enclosure, anything ported below 4 cubic feet rolls off very fast.

This sub didn't seem to be too happy in a sealed enclosure, but I haven't actually tested it in-room, I do have two more so would be interesting to throw one of the 3 ft.³ sealed box and see how it does.
post #17 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Are you using a high pass filter?
post #18 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Are you using a high pass filter?

Currently only what the XT32 offers, not sure if it uses a subsonic or not
post #19 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not real familiar with xt32 but I don't believe it is using a hpf at all. It is probably doing the opposite and boosting the lows. I thought something looked off in that measurement.

You should get a hpf on there.
post #20 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not real familiar with xt32 but I don't believe it is using a hpf at all. It is probably doing the opposite and boosting the lows. I thought something looked off in that measurement.

You should get a hpf on there.

If you're referring to the curve above that is no EQ, straight out of the amp with REW frequency sweep.
post #21 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In almost every case a ported sub needs a high pass filter to protect the driver from over excursion below tuning. If you check the winisd cone excursion screen for your model you'll see the line shoot to the sky a few hz below your tuning point. A 5hz sine wave really shouldn't make those subs move at all because the hpf would have filtered it out. I'm just trying to offer some advice before anything bad happens.
post #22 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't heard of this driver on these forums, $25 shipped is a really good deal.

What are your other speakers/gear? Are the speakers also DIY?
post #23 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In almost every case a ported sub needs a high pass filter to protect the driver from over excursion below tuning. If you check the winisd cone excursion screen for your model you'll see the line shoot to the sky a few hz below your tuning point. A 5hz sine wave really shouldn't make those subs move at all because the hpf would have filtered it out. I'm just trying to offer some advice before anything bad happens.

I appreciate that, I am well aware of subsonic filters and their benefits, my current "HT" is our family room and at moderate levels this subwoofer has shaken pictures off the wall so I'm not looking to pushing it much harder.

These subs haven't broken a sweat yet at the current gain levels but if I want to push them harder I'll look into doing a miniDSP inline with the Adcom amp, I may do a plate amp setup later on as well.

I've been pretty blown away by what some of you guys here on AVS are doing subwoofer-wise, I need to work my wife up to something anywhere near those levels =)

My 2-channel system is set up in a separate room with a 4x10 miniDSP and stack of Adcom amps, with that system I can fully configure subsonic filters which I use for the speakers in there, but only for music listening.

Thanks!
post #24 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
A 5hz sine wave really shouldn't make those subs move at all because the hpf would have filtered it out.

That was just for fun because they would =)
post #25 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I haven't heard of this driver on these forums, $25 shipped is a really good deal.

What are your other speakers/gear? Are the speakers also DIY?

I hadn't heard of it either but for the price in shocked more people aren't taking advantage of it, their cost is a literal triviality.

Yes all my speakers in the house are DIY, been building up a storm!

Here are the front channel I built for HT, Vifa P17 MTM with Vifa horn loaded tweeter, flat to 60Hz

And the center channel, this uses the same tweeter, a Dayton 2" dome mid and a M22R Vifa woofer, flat to 35hz, I built these for almost free with parts I had in storage. All cabinets are braced 3/4" maple plywood with passive crossovers.

All other speakers in the 7.1 system are In wall units that came with the house for the time being.

Thanks!
post #26 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those are beautiful. Its nice to see something other than DIYSG designs here, I'm guessing those were cheaper as well? Are you a speaker designer as well?
post #27 of 36 Old 04-14-2016, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Those are beautiful. Its nice to see something other than DIYSG designs here, I'm guessing those were cheaper as well? Are you a speaker designer as well?

Thanks glad you like them! I have always enjoyed creating my own designs and experimenting with what works and finding out what doesn't. I'd say I'm at an intermediate level, I could learn more about passive crossover design and still learning s lot about the new software tools available for measuring raw drivers as well as full frequency sweeps.

The last speaker I built before this past January was in 1998 and a lot has changed since then so I've been soaking up a lot of info the past few months.

This was my first project I started in Feb, a 4-way tower with trans laminate construction, all active crossover with an Adcom amp for each driver pair - Dayton Reference 4" mids, Vifa XT25 tweeters, Dayton RS225 and RSS265. I called it the RS4

Shot of the internal construction

Another project I finished recently are what I call the PS2 with Peerless 7" woofers and Satori high end tweeters. These sound incredible and are flat in room to 30hz, some of the tightest bass I've ever heard. They feature passive crossovers with Zobel impedance compensation and notch filters to smooth out response.

I have a couple more projects in the works that I'll post more about soon! =)
Defcon, muzz, ambesolman and 2 others like this.
post #28 of 36 Old 04-16-2016, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
OMG amazing builds. Its really making me to envy at you. Keep it going and post yur builds here regularly, they are really motivating.
jshadzi likes this.
post #29 of 36 Old 04-16-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadzi View Post
Thanks glad you like them! I have always enjoyed creating my own designs and experimenting with what works and finding out what doesn't. I'd say I'm at an intermediate level, I could learn more about passive crossover design and still learning s lot about the new software tools available for measuring raw drivers as well as full frequency sweeps.

The last speaker I built before this past January was in 1998 and a lot has changed since then so I've been soaking up a lot of info the past few months.

This was my first project I started in Feb, a 4-way tower with trans laminate construction, all active crossover with an Adcom amp for each driver pair - Dayton Reference 4" mids, Vifa XT25 tweeters, Dayton RS225 and RSS265. I called it the RS4

Shot of the internal construction

Another project I finished recently are what I call the PS2 with Peerless 7" woofers and Satori high end tweeters. These sound incredible and are flat in room to 30hz, some of the tightest bass I've ever heard. They feature passive crossovers with Zobel impedance compensation and notch filters to smooth out response.

I have a couple more projects in the works that I'll post more about soon! =)
Very nice!! I love them!
jshadzi likes this.

post #30 of 36 Old 04-16-2016, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalagopalan17 View Post
OMG amazing builds. Its really making me to envy at you. Keep it going and post yur builds here regularly, they are really motivating.

Thanks glad you guys like them! I'll post my current pro speaker project now too, plenty more builds on the horizon =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page