2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class and blowing up a 1260 sub! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 665Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Awesome! Very excited to meet everyone. I'm happy to bring some food.
eng-399 likes this.
Mpoes12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubbie View Post
Thanks for the invite Mike. I am a definite maybe right now, should be able to firm it up in a few days. (if you get to 20 definites before that I understand if you need to bump)

I don't have much of gear to bring, but my other forum I frequent most often is BBQ Brethren http://www.bbq-brethren.com/
I've built a number of my own smokers, and have had some pretty good success in the last decade.
I won't go through the trouble of cooking there - but if I come, I'll make something in the morning or an overnight smoke.
Some food porn pics of my brisket, shoulder, ribs, moink balls, a fatty, chicken. Requests maybe?











I also know my way around a smoker.... Would love to chat u up about building your own!! Currently just getting by with an 18" Weber RMS.

I'd be happy to do a pork shoulder ahead of time and bring it along as well!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
sonichart is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Crap didn't mean to quote all the eye candy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
sonichart is offline  
 
Old 04-19-2016, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago Land burbs
Posts: 3,337
Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class and blowing up a 1260 sub!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
Crap didn't mean to quote all the eye candy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk


That would be awesome if you wanted to make that. Im sure everyone would want to try it. I really need to talk to you guys on how to smoke brisket and other meats.. Thank you!!!!
My little smoker and grill.
My ribs come out dry. I'm trying to figure this smoking thing out. I got the smoker last year.

Last edited by eng-399; 04-19-2016 at 01:20 PM.
eng-399 is online now  
Old 04-19-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
murphy2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Lol, you need to add water to keep them moist. Did this just turn into a smoker thread? I'll admit, I'm much better at consuming the product than I am at creating the product. I'll leave that to you guys.
JCJetta likes this.
murphy2112 is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
That would be awesome if you wanted to make that. Im sure everyone would want to try it. I really need to talk to you guys on how to smoke brisket and other meats.. Thank you!!!!
My little smoker and grill.
My ribs come out dry. I'm trying to figure this smoking thing out. I got the smoker last year.
There should be a water pan in there that should be filled. Also, my father in law makes a spritz (Apple juice, garlic, Worcester) and will hit the ribs every 45mins or so.

Def. Figure out the water pan tho.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
eng-399 likes this.
sonichart is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
rfbrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 597
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I think I need to move...
eng-399 likes this.

Our Old Space
New House
PSN: brotj7
rfbrang is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
nix4me is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago Land burbs
Posts: 3,337
Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
eng-399 is online now  
Old 04-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Member
 
ninjahifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This GTG sounds like its going to be awesome. Really hope I can make it. Looking forward to seeing the sub shootout with the JTR Super-Sub!
ninjahifi is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 04:28 AM
Member
 
spieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portage, MI
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Im going to try to make it to this, I wont know for sure until the date gets a little closer but should be able to make it work!
eng-399 likes this.
spieg is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 5,370
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 689
@Kubbie

wow that all looks delicious!! be careful that the BBQ doesnt upstage the audio!!!

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian


Rivers Edge Theater
brian6751 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
murphy2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Jeff P, JC, Matt G, and Mike - for the blind listening test, I'd like to help coordinate and help prepare and setup the test to make this fun and a success. Let's chat about how we will position the speakers, level match, the A/B mechanism, the source content, and the criteria by which we judge these speakers. I've spoken to Masunas and will also coordinate with him on what this needs to look like as well. Thanks in advance - this should be fun
eng-399 likes this.
murphy2112 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago Land burbs
Posts: 3,337
Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class and blowing up a 1260 sub!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
Jeff P, JC, Matt G, and Mike - for the blind listening test, I'd like to help coordinate and help prepare and setup the test to make this fun and a success. Let's chat about how we will position the speakers, level match, the A/B mechanism, the source content, and the criteria by which we judge these speakers. I've spoken to Masunas and will also coordinate with him on what this needs to look like as well. Thanks in advance - this should be fun


I Completely agree let's also add @derrickdj1 to this mix to as he helped out a lot last time with doing all This to. Later today I'll get all the speakers that are coming so far listed on here to.
@spotts29 any chance you can bring 2 of your 1099's over. It's going a be a great show diy and retail.
murphy2112 likes this.
eng-399 is online now  
Old 04-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Senior Member
 
JCJetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwesternmost Chicagoland
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I've ordered some Spandex.

No, not for me to wear the day of the GTG, (sorry to disappoint) but instead to construct a makeshift acoustically transparent screen by which we can place speakers behind for the blind test. If I learned enough from the DIY AT Spandex screen threads, we should be able to project a decent image onto it as well - if we so desire.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
eng-399 likes this.
JCJetta is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
murphy2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
I've ordered some Spandex.

Lol, I'm glad you further clarified the use of this material .
JCJetta likes this.
murphy2112 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 10:28 AM
Member
 
spotts29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
@spotts29 any chance you can bring 2 of your 1099's over. It's going a be a great show diy and retail.
I should be able to bring 'em.
DocOrange88 and eng-399 like this.

Wow, splendid days!

Da Basement

Speaker Build
spotts29 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
murphy2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotts29 View Post
I should be able to bring 'em.


Super excited about this...
murphy2112 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
derrickdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,482
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Trying to setup speakers for a good A vs B comparison proved a bit difficult at the last GTG. The need to change between speakers quickly and level matching the speakers needs to imp. We will probably only have time to evaluate the speakers performance related to music. Some speakers may do well with music where as another may due well with movies.

Speaker efficiency comes into play in the HT. This will favor horn design speakers compared to a dome tweeter or ribbon tweeter speak. Ribbons are outstanding for music. To help with testing, we should compare full range to full range speaker. The speaker that may need a sub, most likely should just be listen to without the sub. It will take to much time to pair them with a sub and optimize setup.

It's good to start discussing how we will do this before the meet.
Mike Butny and eng-399 like this.
derrickdj1 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago Land burbs
Posts: 3,337
Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
After taking to Jeff from JTR he has all the amps and everything to do a A/B test on all these diy and retail speakers. What I'm thinking is I'll have a piece of paper on hand and play everything first and write down the volume level after we match the levels of each speaker. Then once we switch between them I'll adjust the volume level immediately so all the speakers are at same level. I hope this might work but we shall see.
eng-399 is online now  
Old 04-20-2016, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
DocOrange88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
After taking to Jeff from JTR he has all the amps and everything to do a A/B test on all these diy and retail speakers. What I'm thinking is I'll have a piece of paper on hand and play everything first and write down the volume level after we match the levels of each speaker. Then once we switch between them I'll adjust the volume level immediately so all the speakers are at same level. I hope this might work but we shall see.
Maybe we should run this as tournament rules?
DocOrange88 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 12:58 PM
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 32,084
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Subbed
Mfusick is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Boxozaxu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Subscribed!
Boxozaxu is online now  
Old 04-20-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
murphy2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
After taking to Jeff from JTR he has all the amps and everything to do a A/B test on all these diy and retail speakers. What I'm thinking is I'll have a piece of paper on hand and play everything first and write down the volume level after we match the levels of each speaker. Then once we switch between them I'll adjust the volume level immediately so all the speakers are at same level. I hope this might work but we shall see.


Right - a simple REW sweep or Pink noise generator can be used to figure out the gain structure between different speakers. I have a power amp that has dual 1dB knobs on the front that can be adjusted quickly. The amp also has A/B selectors to quickly flip between them.

In any case, we are going to do our best to be able to level match and compare better for the future.
murphy2112 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
murphy2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
Trying to setup speakers for a good A vs B comparison proved a bit difficult at the last GTG. The need to change between speakers quickly and level matching the speakers needs to imp. We will probably only have time to evaluate the speakers performance related to music. Some speakers may do well with music where as another may due well with movies.

Speaker efficiency comes into play in the HT. This will favor horn design speakers compared to a dome tweeter or ribbon tweeter speak. Ribbons are outstanding for music. To help with testing, we should compare full range to full range speaker. The speaker that may need a sub, most likely should just be listen to without the sub. It will take to much time to pair them with a sub and optimize setup.

It's good to start discussing how we will do this before the meet.


Yes, everything you said is pretty much what I was thinking too. I prefer music for the test.
derrickdj1 likes this.
murphy2112 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
JCJetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southwesternmost Chicagoland
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 158
That certainly can be a challenge when you compare a pair of speaks with 88dB sensitivity to a pair with 101dB. The blind testers should not be privy to gain or volume knob positions.

That was some of the issue I recall when we went from listening to Volt 10s to 1099s.

And the music should be the same sequence of song snippets. Surely we could use one of the myriad of CDs we grabbed at Axpona for the tests. So long as the songs aren't all elevator music.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
derrickdj1 likes this.
JCJetta is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
derrickdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,482
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
That certainly can be a challenge when you compare a pair of speaks with 88dB sensitivity to a pair with 101dB. The blind testers should not be privy to gain or volume knob positions.

That was some of the issue I recall when we went from listening to Volt 10s to 1099s.

And the music should be the same sequence of song snippets. Surely we could use one of the myriad of CDs we grabbed at Axpona for the tests. So long as the songs aren't all elevator music.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Fair comparison of the speakers was difficult at the last GTG. What's wrong with elevator music or Larwence Welk, lol.
derrickdj1 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
andyc56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,078
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
Fair comparison of the speakers was difficult at the last GTG. What's wrong with elevator music or Larwence Welk, lol.
Here's my favorite Lawrence Welk system evaluation tune haha. Wait for the lyrics.

andyc56 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Member
 
danmn1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Great, I come to this forum to buy A sub and end up with 3. In the process of that upgrade I bought fusion 8s. Now I just bought a smoker...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
dman918, Kubbie, JCJetta and 2 others like this.

Denon AVR x3200, iNUKE 6000DSP and 3000DSP, Fusion 8 Alchemy Towers and Center, B&W DM 560, Onkyo Atmos speakers, SI DS4 in a full Marty, 4 Infinity 1262s, 4 JBL CS1214
danmn1313 is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I wish i lived nearby as i would bring my 893's - but Florida is just too far.
nix4me is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off