AVS Forum banner

2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class

47K views 807 replies 75 participants last post by  JCJetta 
#1 · (Edited)
2016 GTG MEET Location:plainfield Il. (Chicago Land Burbs)

Host: Eng-399 (Mike)

Date:May 22, 2016 (Sunday)

Time: 11a.m to 6:00-6:00p.m.

I'm excited to host another annual GTG meet in the Chicago land burbs. The last few meets have been alot fun and we all learned alot during that meet from each other and heard some really great sounding diy speakers and subs. The last meet we also had James a writer from Audioholics that did a bass test in my room and wrote a article about it on there website. It was fun to particapte in that and have a story about the bass in my room. We were all able to be the first to hear Matt Grant's Flex-12 sub/midbass setup and the VBSS box. Thoese were great sounding subs that put out ton of bass and everyone there that day was blown away by them and there output. It seemed like these have been a big hit since the meet I hope to have 2 in my room someday and hope this GTG turns out the same as the last few times.

What were going to do this time around is basically the same as the last few times hear some great sounding diysg speakers and subs and other commercal speakers. I'll be showing and explaining all my diy subs that I built and go through my settings on my amps. I recently just got back my new HTPC that avs member Mike Murphy built for me with 10 Tb worth of storage for backing up all my movies. MM and my self will show everyone how it works and I'll show what Kodi looks like on there. I also recently added 4 more subs nearfield bringing it up to 8 subs behind the chairs. This will be fun to demo theres a ton of tacticle impack now back there for the last row of seats.

At the GTG were also going to blow up a Infinity 1260 sub thanks to @autox320 for shipping the sub to me for this:) @mikeschacht has a 4K 10,000$ camera that he will video us throwing a ton of power at it blowing it up! I'll talk more about this on the 2nd post.

I've been talking to Rolf aka @spotts29 that did the REW class in my HT room 2 GTG meets ago and hes going to do a mimi basic "How to take a measurements and apply filters and also set delays on your subs" class. It should be about 45 miniutes to 1 hour long tops. I'll film this myself and post it on youtube and have the link for it on the thread afterwords. I really think if we do the basic how to mearsure and set filters on the inuke amps and how to set basic delays will help so many people and give them the general understanding how to do this. This class will start at 11-11:30 AM.

What about food and drinks?

I'll have beer, water, pop, chips, dip and other finger food. If anyone wants to bring a side or want to add some beer or pop to the mix that would be cool. I'm thinking around 12-1p.m. we can order some pizza to make it easy on us for lunch. If anyone wants to pitch in 5 dollars each for pizza that would be a big help:)

The purpose of this meet is for all of us to hear some great sounding speakers and subs and hang out and talk shop. I still can't believe how many Chicago Land avs guys there is! I've been talking to bounch of guys already about what they want to see and demo and it looks like were going to have a bunch of speakers and equipment to check out. I'll let those guys post what they want to bring over.

Equipment in my Room-

Middle Atlantic Rack

Monster Surge protector

Belkon pure av Surge Protector

AVR-Marantz SR 7010

LCR/Surround Amp-Emotiva UPA 7 Channel

Bluray-Oppo 103D

Sub amps-2-Behringer Inuke 6,000 DSP

Sub Amps-2 Behringer Inuke 3,000DSP

HTPC-Silverstone case with 15 TB worth of storage running MKV,Kodi,Windows 10,wireless keyboard and other goodies

Fans for the rack-AC Infintiy 3 fans installed on the face of the rack on the face plate

Screen-120" Falcon Horizon AT 4k screen 16.9

Projector-Sony HW40

Speakers-LCR-Behringer B215xl

Rear Surrounds-Behringer B212Xl

Side Surrounds-Pi speakers Bass reflex 2 DIY Kit

Subs (Behind the screen) 4 OG Stereo Integrity HT-18's in 4-20 cubic ft. slot ported boxes

Nearfeild subs-8-Infinity 1260/1262 subs sealed in 2 diy custom wedge 2 boxes 7 cubic ft total each box.

Seats-Rtheater Lagon fusion power Black Chairs 7 total+back bar with 4 seats

lighting-Led lighting through out - RGB LED lighting strips in the crown moulding

Night Sky Mural on Ceiling (diy stencil kit)

All speaker wires are 12 awg through out the room and Mono price RCA and XLR cables.

AVS guys who attended the last few meets and other interested. I'm going through Pm's so I'll add more once I find them.

@mikeschacht @corradizo @dman918 @mtg90 @derrickdj1 @JCJetta @DocOrange88 @spotts29 @holyindian @cindr3r @Gaugster @Awesomedude @Kubbie @brokeEf @shadyJ @SeanMc @cuzed2 @danmn1313 @murphy2112 @EndersShadow @mikebutny @bitmap42 @sonichart

@Raylon

THE MEET IS FULL

eng-399 (me), cruzed2, Raylon, Broke EF, Murphy2112, Endersshadow, JCJetta, Mike Schmidt, derrickdj1+friend, dman918, Spotts29, danmn1313, ninjahifi, Jeff Permanian ,DocOrange88, kubbie , mpoes12

, spieg , Chad, mtg90, shadyj , Mike butny and friend, Corradizo, holyindian, bitmap42
Sonic
Speakers coming to the GTG meet:

DIYSG-
Fusion 15's sentinels
The exclusive 1099's
The 88 specials
The Fusion 8 towers
The Volt 6's
Bose

Retail line-
JTR-Noesis 210 RT
The new JTR-Capitivator 4,000 ULF[emoji344][emoji344]
Golden Ear Tritan 11's
Klipsch RF-7 11
Jbl Control 30
Behringer B215XL

Subs-
Jtr as mentioned above
UM-18-22 in a Marty
Infinity 1260/1262's
Stereo Integrity OG HT-18 D2's
Voxel sub

Room correction
Dirac Live
Audyssey Pro Kit
Umm6 +plus other nice software REW

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class and blowing up a 1260 sub!

I wanted to also mention a big thanks to Mike Murphy who put together my HTPC for me and Mike Schmidt who showed me Kodi and held my hand on installing this and showing me all the in and outs of this program. We had lots of 1am trouble shooting conversations lol. Both guys were a HUGE help with this and I can't thank them both enough!!!

#8 ·
gosh that would be so much fun....wish we had more Floridians like this..

btw..I think you have one of the best theaters in this forum...looks like a really fun place to hang out.

Reactions: eng-399
#9 ·
It's been on the schedule for a bit for me.

Should be a fun day and weekend. Saturday I will be in and out of Dayton w the kids as well lol.

#12 ·
Ya It would be fun to hang out with you. Jcjetta and myself were talking about your set up yesterday on way back from Axpona Jc was saying how hard your horns hit. The last meet you had I looked up airline tickets to fly out to ya lol but figured my wife would of been pissed at me if I left for the night. Next time I might make the drive out to ya though. Seaton Audio's room was alot of fun at Axpona he had 6-18's setup that sounded really good! He went full Atmos in the room. Congrats!!! on you and your wife having a baby! I just found out yesterday my buddy Mike S. and his wife are expecting to.

#15 ·
And it sucks because my new Minneapolis office that I frequent once a month or more is downtown and I take the Metro from the airport. No car makes it difficult to get out to the suburbs and see Luke's newest setup.

Luke you should also know that I would take your front stage up against ANY of the 6 digit speakers we enjoyed yesterday at Axpona. Sound quality without question you'd have a great competition, and efficiency you'd blow them all away.

If it was even possible to be disappointed at Axpona, it would be with the lack of home theater content. But I was so caught up with hearing amazing sound reproduction, I wasn't concerned with it.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Thanks man!

I think you were actually the first to hear them, and although they weren't 100% complete yet, even at that point I was completely satisfied with their performance.

Since then I slightly revised the passive crossover for the BMS, made some tweaks to the EQ settings in the LG amp, and added the second 18 to each L/R.

All of that added some subtle changes that really topped off the project.

#29 ·
Man, I would love to come! It'd be awesome if @Jeff Permanian and @Mark Seaton can also make it with their speakers. Very interested to get impressions on the new jtr 212htr, cat12's, 1099's and f-15's in a blind shootout!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I would be happy to come out and bring some speakers. Just let me know.

#21 ·
Here's the paint.

When you apply the paint follow what they say when you buy it you have to roll it a certain way on the walls but I love the color. I asked another avs guy to about this before I did my room and he used this paint so I used it to because of the way his walls look. Also trim really helps make a room pop. If you can picture frame some molding and use chair rail it really makes HT room look nice.

#22 ·
Planning on making it as well! I have my 1099s on order but I have NO idea when I am going to find the time to build them. I may even just look at someone building the cabs for me. Sigh....

#23 ·
2016 Diy Speaker/Sub GTG meet with a mini REW Class and blowing up a 1260 sub!

Glad you can make it I'll put you down. Did you buy the flat packs for these or just the speakers/parts and baffle.

#28 ·
I'm in Algonquin.

I could always come down one weekend and we could knock out the build and sand, or you could come up by me. Whatever you prefer. It's just so much easier with another person able to help and such. I need to get my crossover parts to mtg as well.

Finish is paint. Easy enough for me to knock out solo. :)

#32 ·
Any interest in playing with a Darbee DVP5000?

Easy enough to lug up there lol.....

If also MAYBE bring my DIYSoundGroup Cube 15 and Dayton amp.

That said I'm thinking you've got enough subs on tap to not need mine lol....

I also could bring a CHEAPER one room solution to show that's an easy to travel option over a HTPC.... WD Live TV + External drive...

I love my Plex setup but for under 200 all in the WD Live can be fun to showcase.

#36 ·
Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but I'd be willing to trek out your way from East Dundee.

Are there plans for another REW class? I'm pretty much set on 1099s + Volt6s for my room but would love to hear what the crew has to offer. I even just got some fancy earplugs I've been meaning to test out haha!

I'd be willing to chip in for pizza or bring a side as well.

Subscribed. Thanks!:)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Cool glad you can make it! We're having the mini rew class at the beginning of the meet and going to video it and post it on YouTube and the thread. Any chance to bring with those 1099's maybe just 2 of them??? I'll put ya down on the list to for coming. If not no big deal thought I would ask[emoji3]

#39 ·
@eng-399 - Mike, you should try to setup both of your areas. Your main space for the "serious" speakers. If you have the ability to do the shootout blind, I believe you'd gain some valuable insight and would be a pretty cool experience.

I vote for the jtr 212htr to be in attendance!

#43 ·
Matt has both the flex-12 and the VBSS hopefully he jumps in soon. I see he hasn't logged in for over a week... Having a the cap118ht vs the others would be fun[emoji41]. Great idea about both rooms! I also have extra panels and extra oc703 that can place in areas if Jeff thinks that would help with some of his speakers. So ya both rooms will be going now.

#42 ·
I really wish I can make this gtg, if it wasn't for my father In-laws birthday that weekend, I'd fly down there and get hammered and go deaf with you guys. I can host a GTG shootout, blind that same day too (2014, 228ht vs 1099 vs f15t). We'll use the scorecards and we can compare. The outcome should be very interesting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.