I have 3 PA-120s and 1 Fully Marty. Questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-29-2016, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have 3 PA-120s and 1 Fully Marty. Questions

Sorry in advance for the convoluted post. So, here goes, I have 3 PA-120s and a Full Marty. My room is roughly 14.7' x 13.4'. 2 of the PAs are stacked at the rear left corner. The Marty is front center, and a PA-120 to it's left. I used REW to find proper placement, and ran Audyssey. Can having this many subs have adverse effects on frequency response? My goal is best low end through upper end bass, chest pounding, (everybody's goal I suppose). Are there any precautions I should take? Are there any tricks or tips I should know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 336
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...-calibration-1

JVC X7000 (RS500) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | Krix Seismix 3 MK3 Subwoofer
post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2016, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 141
In case anyone else is wondering what a "PA-120" is.

OP: Get rid of your PA-120s. Build another full Marty and live in bass nirvana. Different drivers in different cabs are very difficult to get matched up. That's the root cause of the issues you're experiencing. Not "multiple subs" but "multiple differently sized and tuned subs."

Last edited by michaelddd; 04-30-2016 at 12:53 AM.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-01-2016, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post
Sorry in advance for the convoluted post. So, here goes, I have 3 PA-120s and a Full Marty. My room is roughly 14.7' x 13.4'. 2 of the PAs are stacked at the rear left corner. The Marty is front center, and a PA-120 to it's left. I used REW to find proper placement, and ran Audyssey. Can having this many subs have adverse effects on frequency response? My goal is best low end through upper end bass, chest pounding, (everybody's goal I suppose). Are there any precautions I should take? Are there any tricks or tips I should know?
Multiple subs is preferred. What specific problems are you having? I suggest getting a Minidsp 2 x 4. That will give you the ability to balance and EQ each sub individually and then let Audyssey do its thing on the total output. Keep in mind that the Full Marty is going to have far greater maximum output than the PA-120s so you will need to set levels on the PA-120s lower than the Full Marty. The idea is to have all 4 subs max out at the same volume. If you can place the PA-120s closer to the MLP that may make it easier to use them to their full potential. I haven't yet used it but there is an app that can help EQ multiple subs that will help to set the Minidsp. Optimizing subwoofers and integration with mains: multi sub optimizer
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't know that I'm having problems per se, I just don't want to miss anything. Take Guardians of the Galaxy for instance, at the beginning where Star Lord is on the planet and geysers are going off all around him, it seems to me that there should be some oomph, but hardly any thump. Again in edge of tomorrow, that low end sweep at the very beginning, the Marty rocks the house. Also Godzilla hits crazy hard. Take Transformers 4, beginning with the little Dino, where the alien pushes the pulse thingy and it sends out nice thump that shakes the house. By the way, the rear PAs are stacked and level matched, they are about 4-1/2 to 5 feet away from the MLP, the front PA is about 6 foot away as is the Marty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page