UM15 or HST15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2016, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 8
UM15 or HST15

I have entered everything in Winisd have yet to figure out how to post an image. Looking to see what is a better sub, I am looking either to go in a small sealed enclosure 3cu.ft. or less. Can someone explain after you enter all the values and save what then? Just not sure what I am looking at ex. when you click on the box you can change the Fsc by using the mouse you can adjust the enclosure size by manually entering. Sorry for the questions just cannot seem to find the right answer so I am asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 277
@Cichlid109 Do you mean the HST 18?

...some of us just really love bass...

My DIY Subwoofers: This is going to destroy my house...
My Theatre: uniquepattern's asylum

Last edited by uniquepattern; 05-25-2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

No the HST15 I have the HST18's would love 2 more but do not have the space. I asked Nick what he would suggest for a 15" since it appears he no longer makes the HST15, he just happens to have 2. So the question which is better the UM or the HST ?
Old 05-25-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I'm willing to bet not many have the T/S specs on the HST15 so it will be hard for anyone to model it. I think I have them saved, but I'm not sure if they are still accurate...

I'd email/call Nick again and see if you can get the T/S from him and then post it on here.

I've got MartySub and Custom subwoofer flatpacks for Sale! PM me with questions about custom designed flatpacks. MartySub Flatpacks are back

Also, Check out my End-Table Marty Build
Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

I used these:

Re: 3.4 Ohm
Fs: 21 Hz
Qes: 0.37
Qms: 6.3
Qts: 0.35
Le: 3.5 mH
Sd: 74187
Vas: 98.5 liters
BL: 23.1
Mms: 434 g
SPL: 86 dB

I think I entered everything correctly but I am confused on how to attach the image from Winisd to here? Everytime I try EX. HST15D2.wpr invalid file.
It cannot be this hard to post am image it would maybe help when I try to explain what I am looking for.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

I used the specs from this post done last year.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...eo-ts-specs.ht

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

If you could compare the UM vs the HST that would be great. I am looking to upgrade my current 15's since they seem to be excursion limited. After getting some great help with REW I managed a pretty good graph with just my 15's but it seems they are limited by the excursion ( mine are Audiopipe TXX BD2 15 xmax 13mm 2.1 cu.ft. sealed box ) or by the minidsp and maybe by the Umik mic. regardless they stop at 10hz. I could be getting greedy but I am right at the point hwere single digits start and I am trying to get there. Maybe with more excursion or a bigger box. If the box size can stay under 3cu.ft. great. Ideally 2 more HST18's would be the best option but no room and the 15's will work so why not?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 237
15HST in about 2.5-3cuft would be great. I have a single one for now in 2.5cuft and it sounds awesome. Simulation wise the HST would win also with its higher Xmax.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

So if you are using them in a 2.5cu.ft. enclosure do you think there is much of a difference with a 2.1 in your opinion? I checked to see if there were any maybe slightly but nothing that would stand out. What size amp are you using? I am thinking power wise the HST18's and the HST15's are pretty close. I know the HST18's can handle much more than advertised so I am guess the 15's are about the same.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Figured out how to attach an image use snipping tool pretty easy. Based on the second image it seems there are trade offs to both. The um has a higher SPL but the HST seems to go lower. The first image shows the cone excursion the HST has a Xmax of 35? but based on the other images I have seen this is different can someone explain please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cone excursion.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1459714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1459722  
Old 05-25-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

WinISD simulates a leaky cabinet unless you change the settings. So this would change your 10hz excursion graph. BUT I dont know if you can even build the 15HST in 2.1cuft unless the motor is outside the volume. I am also using a Crest Pro 7200 2ohm each channel on each VC.

In my simulation of 15HST vs 15UM in 2.5cuft and enough wattage to hit claimed Xmax 35mm vs 19mm the UM only meets the HST at 35-50hz. All else where on the simulation the 15HST wins. About 3db at 20hz more for the HST and 3db roughly at 80hz more.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I have no idea if the HST15's will fit these are prefab they are 16"deep x 16" tall x 18"wide, I think there is enough room will have to check to make sure and if not building a box is no big deal. I know I am probably not even close to a novice when it comes to Winisd so I can deal with that but could you tell me what I am doing wrong? I plugged the numbers in as I found what order works best to let Winisd calculate. If I decide to change out my 15's for the HST15's my plan is to get either a Crest cc4000 or a cc5500. Sorry for troubling you with the questions but I do appreciate your help. The 10hz graph is based on current set-up with Audiopipe 15's odds are with the HSt15 things will change. How can you tell its a leaky box with what I posted? By the way I agree the HST is a better driver then the ultimax I was just trying to prove it to myself using Winisd. It is one thing when you are told something is better it is another thing when you can actually see it. Thanks again for your advice and help.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Regardless of opinions the HST has more displacement than the UM. The HST also excels at the ULF better than the UM before EQ of coarse. You can also beat on either driver pretty good but the HST can be beaten harder.

@LTD may be able to help you on the WinISD settings. I know on my version you go to the box tab. Then click on advanced
and change QI to 50. Thats about all you need to do. I mainly use Hornresp now.

Here is a picture for dimensions for the HST. It is the Zv4 but close enough to the HST.

Hope this helps. And dont feel bad for asking questions. I love these subs and Nick is great to deal with.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

If the HST15's are anything like the HST18's they will be pretty awesome. My HST18's can handle some pretty amazing wattage and never complain. Why did you change the Q1 to 50? It makes a difference but I do not understand the reasoning behind it. Based on your measurements for the time being the box I have will work. Like you said Nick is a great guy to work with I talked to him the other day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement