AVS Forum banner

Rockbiter! Part Deux

603 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  cellarnoise 
#1 ·
I've been enjoying my first DIY project (DO SI HT18 aka The Rickbiter) for about a year. Id always planned on a twin for the other side of the couch and had ordered two of everything I needed. Unfortunately, the bag that had all the other stuff (neutrik pieces, RCA adaptor, etc.) in it is MIA. All the crap in this house there's no telling where I put it to "keep it safe."[emoji849]
Anywho, this one is planned to be identical to the original Rockbiter...mostly. When I had the granite cut, the pieces were supposed to be even. Well, the second piece is about 1/4" shorter so the depth of the box will be too. Actually, it may be a little more since I had to trim another 1/8" off the bottom after my buddy helped cut everything to size and outer baffles were just a tad narrow. The length of the granite is my limiting factor as I don't want it hanging over the edges, but it was either shave the bottom or buy more wood and make new outer baffles which I don't have time for. I'm starting a new job on Monday so I'm trying to get it to the point that it just needs staining which I can do a coat each night. Luckily I had a pair of outer baffles I screwed up during the first project I could reuse for braces and already have holes cut. I still have to trim a couple of other braces and the inner top to fit the new dimensions today as well as go get some more PL and stain.
Here's a pic of the original plan and finished project. Once done it'll run off the vacant channel of my inuke 6000dsp.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks, this is what I used. Took about seven coats if I remember right. The goal was to match it to my rx8s.

#5 ·
Got some good work done after buying some supplies. Trimmed up those pieces and cut my holes out. Unfortunately I screwed up the outer baffles by forgetting to use the bottom when lining them up to mark the center of the holes. The outer baffles are supposed to sandwich everything else between them and don't sit on the bottom like the inner baffles do. When I lined them up and drilled my hole, they were all level. So now holes in my outer baffles sit .75" lower than they should.
Think I'm just going to cut some 1" strips off some scrap and attach them to the bottoms of the baffles and flush trim later. With the planned roundover, stain and the fact it'll be practically hidden in a corner of the room with only the top visible, I think it'll be fine. Pisses me off, but it's an easy and cheap fix.

#6 · (Edited)
The weekend has been pretty productive for the most part. Had to recut my inner baffles and braces to lower the inner top so that the granite will be flush with the pieces on the sides of it.
I really should've read through my first build thread before starting this sub as it would've saved me some time and frustration. I also think I may have set too lofty a goal to get this stain ready by now. I'd forgotten about all the sanding, routing, prep work, time, etc involved. Add in having to work my last weekend at my job, 95deg days, a 1 y/o with strep resulting in little sleep for all of us...
Luckily I showed up at work this morning and someone else had been asked to work my shift. While I was happy to let her have it after a bunch of BS yesterday, it'd have been nice to know that ahead of time. But I'm done with that job and start my new one tomorrow and am hoping the grass is a little greener over there.
Anywho...after realizing yesterday I wouldn't meet my goal, I decided to try something different and just get done what I could. Along with PL and a nail gun, I decided to try using a Kreg pocket hole jig after talking with my buddy who suggested it.

This thing is sweet and the box is crazy solid. It also limits the need for clamping as much. Really helps cinch everything together and helps when not everything is exactly square. May talk a little more time, but think it'll be worth it even if it's overkill.
I got the floor, one side, braces and 2/3 of the triple baffles in. Threw on the other side to clamp it all together. Not having to work gave me a lot of well needed time to work on it today and am feeling better about it than yesterday. Should be done with the sawdust after I cut the top pieces and roundover the edges of the box. Then it'll just be filling, sanding and then pretreat the wood for stain. My dad will be here later this week so may see if he wants to help me if I can pry him away from his grandson or during nap time.

#7 ·
Had a few mins tonight and got the last baffles in. Lucked out with some rain so it cooled off enough to be decent under the fan on the porch. Much nicer than sweating my a$$ off over the weekend.
After I put in some horizontal braces I'll add the last side, caulk my seams and add the inner top. Then just have to flush trim, route the notches, add the top pieces and start filling and sanding.

#8 ·
Well...its been about a week and a half since I've been able to work on my sub. With the new job, highs in the upper 80s AT NIGHT and the wife out of town with friends for the weekend, it's just been me, a 1y/o and a dog. The latter have been no help getting things done. Came out tonight to find at least somebody had been hard at work...

My door is only open a couple of inches to let the dog nose his way in and out of the screen porch, but I guess it was enough for some small bird of prey to attempt making a home out of my sub. Luckily it hadn't shat everywhere.
Once I evicted the would be resident, I finished up the horizontal bracing. Hopefully I'll have some time and it'll be cool enough to work on it some more soon.

#9 ·
Haven't made much progress lately. Got the bracing done and the inner top on. I'm trying to plane down a couple of pieces that will sit on the inner top flanking the granite and need to be flush with the sides of the box. Then I'll just add the other pieces on top of everything which will be flush with the granite. Then flush trim, fill and sand...
Throwing a curveball in all of this is that we've decided to buy the house next door. The main den area doesn't have room for this sub or its twin, but the basement does[emoji41] Just would be a while before we could get another tv or pj/screen down there. Just have a ton to do to get this house ready to sell buy oct 1 so may not have time work on this much[emoji53]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.