Sonosub starting with 100w plate amp (newbie) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sonosub starting with 100w plate amp (newbie)

I'm planning to build a sub for my home theater room.

I've decided on the sonosub route as what sounds like the easiest and cheapest route for a first time DIY guy on a tight budget.

Here's my starting point: I have a 100w plate amp. That's it.

For budget reasons, I want to build around that. I don't plan to physically integrate the amp into the design, so that simplifies things.

Here are my questions:

1. What drivers should I be looking at? (Think inexpensive...) This is a second sub, so it will be what it will be.

2. Am I right that I need to select a driver before I start fiddling with any of the design software?

I feel like my amp dictates my driver choices which dictates my sonosub parameters. Or am I approaching this the wrong way?

As a total newbie, any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Choose a driver that is efficient, at least 90-92db sensitivity, start there, I believe Parts Express would be a good place to start.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 411 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2576
with only 100 watts, as mentioned go with a VERY high sensitivity driver in a big cab. that will provide the most output.

this is the $90 pa460 from parts express.

16 cubic footer tuned to 22hz. this is with 23 volts, which is 100w into 5.3 ohms. not sure how your amp is rated. 8" diameter port that is 10" long and you are all set. :-)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ii.png
Views:	149
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1534449  

Listen. It's All Good.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
with only 100 watts, as mentioned go with a VERY high sensitivity driver in a big cab. that will provide the most output.

this is the $90 pa460 from parts express.

16 cubic footer tuned to 22hz. this is with 23 volts, which is 100w into 5.3 ohms. not sure how your amp is rated. 8" diameter port that is 10" long and you are all set. :-)

Thanks to both of your for your responses.

The amp is an old "wf-100k." Again, as a complete newbie, not even sure what you mean by "what it's rated." Just looking at it, it says "120v - 60hz, 120w, minimum speaker impedance 4 ohms."

And any particular sonosub plan that you might recommend following?

Thanks again, I'm sure it's frustrating talking with someone who doesn't yet know what he's talking about...
Old 07-08-2016, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 411 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2576
do you have a good source for low cost sonotube? the cab above is about 6 feet of 24" diameter tube.

"I'm sure it's frustrating talking with someone who doesn't yet know what he's talking about... "

not at all.

if this is what you have, it is rated for 80w into 8 ohms which is just over 25 volts.

this is the big cab above as well as a much smaller cab (7 cubic feet) tuned the same for comparison.

this is the output with 25 volts. "power" is kind of an imprecise term when dealing with subs.

here is an example of the smaller cab.

V.B.S.S Build - Unbelievable performance for $145!

not a sonotube, but a much simpler build:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pa.png
Views:	134
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1535193   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt.png
Views:	139
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1535225  

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
do you have a good source for low cost sonotube? the cab above is about 6 feet of 24" diameter tube.

"I'm sure it's frustrating talking with someone who doesn't yet know what he's talking about... "

not at all.

if this is what you have, it is rated for 80w into 8 ohms which is just over 25 volts.

this is the big cab above as well as a much smaller cab (7 cubic feet) tuned the same for comparison.

this is the output with 25 volts. "power" is kind of an imprecise term when dealing with subs.

here is an example of the smaller cab.

V.B.S.S Build - Unbelievable performance for $145!

not a sonotube, but a much simpler build:

Thanks so much for this reply! Somehow I missed it, and just found it now when going back through things.

So, for a home theater application, would the sonosub design have any advantages over this "box" design that you've pointed out? I'm all for easier over harder, that's for sure. Especially for my first build. That said, I want to get the best sound I can get with the limited budget I have.

FYI, I'm on board with this driver: Dayton Audio PA460-8 18" Pro Woofer.

Any further guidance is really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement