AVS Forum banner

My new Dayton Ho 18's

2K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  chadsmith013 
#1 ·
well I finally got them done...got dual Dayton Ho 18's sealed each in a box of 4.CF...running them with an Inuke 3000 DSP.

Id like to thank @Mattcc22 for helping me build the boxes. He was amazing to work with. His skills far surpass mine and it wouldn't of been possible without him. I would of had to buy flatpacks, which was a little more then my current budget warranted. His attention to detail was amazing.

also would like to thank @LTD02 ...he answered so many of my questions and helped me with the amp set up. I know he is bombarded with questions on a daily basis, yet he answered each one of my questions like I was the only was asking him questions. Awesome dude!!!

I dont have charts and graphs and REW and all that (Matt is going to help me with that), but I pretty much just plugged and played after setting up the Inuke. I will say i am very impressed. These are replacing 2 MFW 15's powered by the same Inuke. I dont know if its just the Daytons are that much better or if the sealed enclosures are just more to my liking..but everything sounds so clean now. The bass doesnt overhang..it hits and then dissapears..if that makes sense.sometimes you cant tell they are even on until they are called upon. I played my usual movies scenes and everything sounded great. I played the always dreaded Bass I Love you, just to check it out. it sounded crazy..my wife could only take a minute or two of that one before she left running out of the room telling me that I was insane. It was really neat to experience the part of the song where the room, floor, and couch shake but you dont hear anything. :D:D

it did also pass the WAF, granted this is a small budget stand alone theater room. She was like well i had my doubts, but you actually pulled it off. They look good. She said, it looks like a sub that you would buy at the store. She said it sounded cleaner and more solid.

overall im very pleased..those on the fence..do it...if i can poke my way thru it..anyone can.

Chad

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
thanks fellas

picked the Ho's because they were first of all, on Amazon. I have an amazon card and I had some store credit to use on top of that. I also liked the way they looked. The UM's were always on back order. Heard the HO's also played very well in a small-ish sealed box.

#9 ·
thanks...they are actually quite sharp

#12 ·
i look forward to it Matt..would be interested to see how they measure..

dbalk...took us about half the day...he helped me with the cuts and assembly..i did the finishing and other stuff at home later on.

#11 ·
Jeez those things are monsters. Interested to see what kind of SPL you're getting from them. How long did the build take?

#15 ·
Nice build mate. I went with the HO's myself for my Martycubes. They have almost as much excursion as the UM's (specs say 13mm but in actual fact it's easily closer to 20mm), they are cheaper than the UM's, and they look better IMHO with that sweet aluminum cone. Good work! :cool:

#16 ·
thanks man..I agree..i think i preferred the look of the HO to the UM.

#24 ·
no worries..im glad to help with anything i can..

well the nut part of it i had issue with...I drilled my hole..i put the nut part on the back with a little glue and tapped them in place..let them dry...then i tried to install the driver..the first few were fine..but 2 of them came lose and it just spun...had a little issue getting the driver back out...so i was like screw it..and just grabbed some small pieces of spare wood and glued it in place and just got some good quality wood screws and re-did it....im sure it was operator error on my part...hopefully the new screws hold over time.

#31 ·
i have someone coming to help me record some responses, but I wont be able to record the before responses...the old subs are gone out of the room.

#34 ·
I know right..that one up there in the Chicago area was crazy...would love to experience something like that...

#36 ·
@Mattcc22 might still have them...he used his laptop and mic..im not sure if he could post them or not.

to be honest..i didnt really understand what alot of it meant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.