AVS Forum banner

Switching from HST-18 to UM-18!

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  BassThatHz 
#1 ·
So the original plan was to end up with two HST-18's in 4ft^3 sealed cabs for my 2500ft^3 living room. I have one HST-18 currently underpowered by an Inuke6k, with a PA-460 in the 2nd cab. Thinking about selling the HST-18 and running dual UM-18's off the Inuke6k.

My hope is that the dual UM-18's will outperform the single HST in the low bass, especially using both channels of the amp. Adding another HST-18 and upgrading to an adequate amp is not in the cards.

Have to say though that the HST18/PA460 combo is darn impressive....almost afraid dual UM-18's will not outperform overall.

#2 ·
Dual UM18's should have no trouble beating a single (underpowered) HST18. Not only are you doubling up on cone area, but you'll be doubling up on power as well since you are only using the single channel of the Inuke currently. In addition you should be able to achieve a smoother in room response with the dual subs vs. the single.

If you think you'll never upgrade amps and go for the 2nd HST then I'd say the UM route is smart, not to mention you should come out ahead in terms of cash so you should be able to afford another PA460! Dual UM18's and Dual PA460's would be kick a**!

#4 ·
Well the PA460 will be replaced by the 2nd UM-18 in the 2nd 4ft^3 sealed box. Not likely to be used in the system in the near future. So I may be giving up some mid bass kick. HST18+PA460 vs. Dual UM-18 are my two options.

You have one um18 already, yes? It would be a shame to not know what that hst18 can really do with the right power. Sell the inuke, have a yard sale and buy an sp1-4000 and beat the pants off that thing. All seriousness, I recently got one and was suprised what i left on the table. Just playing devils advocate
Nope. Have one HST-18, one PA460. I also think the HST would perform MUCH better up top if I used adequate power. The PA460 fills in the mid/upper bass astonishingly well. Spending money is not an option though.

#3 ·
You have one um18 already, yes? It would be a shame to not know what that hst18 can really do with the right power. Sell the inuke, have a yard sale and buy an sp1-4000 and beat the pants off that thing. All seriousness, I recently got one and was suprised what i left on the table. Just playing devils advocate

#10 ·
Using only one channel of the Inuke will give about 1800 watts @ 4 ohms. The HST takes all of this with ease, although I believe there would probably only be another couple of decibels in the tank down low. My hope is that if I can get 114 out of a single HST, that dual UM's would get around 116. My reasoning is a little more sensitivity coupled with a little more power. 1200/channel with both driven, so 2400+ with both drivers vs 1800 for the one. Regardless, I don't expect a night and day difference either way. Just figured I might pick up just a little bit of headroom down low, and gain some mid/upper bass sensitivity compared to the HST, which is important due to my amps power.

I'm also afraid to give up my PA460! That little $89 booger slams so hard! If the dual UM-18's don't have the mid and upper bass I have come to enjoy, I might have to save my pennies for a cheap used amp and build a box for the 460 to add back in. Those things don't need much power.

#12 ·
Per databass tests, one UM18 can outperform one HST up top. Two UM18s can outperform one HST across the board, even when the HST gets a lot of power.

It isn't a difficult choice to go for the UM18s if you aren't spending the money for serious amplifiers. Keep in mind that the PA460 works in a pretty small box, without too much power, if you can figure out a way to make them work for you.

#13 ·
Is your amp on a dedicated breaker? If not that might help to as your sharing power with anything else on that circuit (AVR/TV/etc).... Plus I forget what the max you can pull out of a standard 15 amp circuit is but theres gotta be some sort of limit to what you can pull out (long term not bursts)....

That extra amp wattage may not be able to be utilized depending on setup.

I am not good with this so I'm more asking questions than making statements.

#14 ·
the efficiency of the hst on the low end can be improved greatly with...

...[anticipation pause]...

...[pause for more anticipation]...

...[pause for another second]...

...[hold]...

...a big ported cab.

[aahhhh....feels good to be able to breathe again.]

seriously. you have a nice combo now. a big ported cab can pick up around 12db around tuning, which is like adding 3 more sealed subs and amps.

#21 ·
My 460's wtih 500watts per produce more mid-bass than my LMS-18's with a FP14000 with 5kW per...
so I don't see how a UM-18 / inuke would be any different.

Dual UM-18's and double the power is a no-brainer, sell the HST.

Keep in mind that data-bass uses a bridged K10 for those tests, it's about 6x more powerful than a single channel from an inuke, which is important since the mid-bass is opperating in the CEA-2010 amp-limited zone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.