• 1 Post By PaulsonRobert
  • 2 Post By PaulsonRobert

post #1 of 14 Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Surrounds to match 1099s

Currently I am running a stereo system I designed an built years ago before I found this forum. It plays loud, but I need something better. I am planning on purchasing 3 1099s to use as LCR once they come back in stock. I was wondering what would be a good match for rear channels. I am only planning on running a 5.1 system. Also if you have any suggestions for a good sub to match. I am in an apartment so I can't have anything insane, but I'm of the philosophy that you can never have enough headroom. I currently have a pair of XLS2500s, one XLS1500 and one XLS1000 with a Denon X4200W as a pre/pro. Sorry if this is too much rambling. Just looking for some insights. Below is my current setup. Also need a new TV, but thats a question for another forum. Thanks for any tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	system now.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	1646177  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-06-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Soooooo,

You are going to get three 1099s, will drive them with 300 to 500 watts each from a stack of four PA amplifiers in an apartment.

....and you don't want anything "insane"

We like the cut of your jib--Welcome to AVS!

The traditional answer would be the Volt series surrounds be in 6.5"/8" or 10". They are coaxial drivers that are quite efficient at 93dB one watt/one meter for the 6.5" and 95dB 1w/1m for the 10" version. Running a pair of Volt 10's on the XLS1000 would get you rock concert levels---I mean "headroom" to spare. The kits run $125 to $200 each depending on if you get flat packs, type of options etc.

If you desire more power handling / efficiency, some people have used the Fusion 10 as a surroound. The F10 uses the same woofers and horn/compression drivers as your 1099s if that is something you care about. They are 98dB 1w/1m and a pair of them with flat packs would run around $500. Another option is the 88 Special, it is 98.5 dB 1w/1m, handles more power and is only around 8 or 9 inches deep although quite large in the other dimensions.

As far as what you "need", the Volt 6 would be great for surrounds in an apartment. The smaller drivers have better/wider dispersion which works well in smaller rooms. Volt 8's would give you a little more power handling and output while not getting too large for the wall--the Volt 10, F10 and 88 Special I would make a cardboard replica of the things to give you an idea of how large they are and what options you have to properly place them.

Good luck and welcome to AVS--you are too far gone with a rack of PA amps in an apartment so no use warning you about the rabbit hole.
luisev, Boxozaxu and HzDownLow like this.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-07-2016, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! I never thought about doing the cardboard mock ups. Great advice. I will definitely be comparing sizes of the Volts before I order anything.

And I fell down the rabbit hole a long time ago. No need to warn me!
post #4 of 14 Old 09-07-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsonRobert View Post
Thanks for the response! I never thought about doing the cardboard mock ups. Great advice. I will definitely be comparing sizes of the Volts before I order anything.
Any size of the Volts are great. I have the 10's in my room but they are surely overkill. I have built systems using the 8's and also the 6's, both are excellent. You will get great sound no matter which way you go.

By the way, your avatar/username is hilarious!
post #5 of 14 Old 09-07-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The cardboard mock-up trick works very well,

If you have a wife etc. they will fully understand what you are proposing so no worries about finishing your project and getting "that look". Much easier to throw a cardboard box around when contemplating final location than a finished speaker--I've "gravity checked" speakers before and created a few new, creative cuss words in the process.

I built a pair of Fusion 10 Pures for my mains--about the limit my wife will put up with. Looking at them, they would be really hard to blend into a wall. For me, the Volt 8 is about the largest I could disguise (poorly)

Are you planning to run the LCR with the XLS2500 amps normally and use the 1000 for surrounds? Just trying to wrap my head around how to configure 8 channels of PA amps in a 5.1 scenario. Maybe one 2500 channel for the center, the 1500 for L/R and the 1000 for surrounds? The "spare" 2500 could be used for subs--in an apartment--play meet the neighbors.

Post pix of your creation as it develops--good luck!
post #6 of 14 Old 09-07-2016, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
By the way, your avatar/username is hilarious!
You do not talk about Fight Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
The cardboard mock-up trick works very well,

If you have a wife etc. they will fully understand what you are proposing so no worries about finishing your project and getting "that look". Much easier to throw a cardboard box around when contemplating final location than a finished speaker--I've "gravity checked" speakers before and created a few new, creative cuss words in the process.

I built a pair of Fusion 10 Pures for my mains--about the limit my wife will put up with. Looking at them, they would be really hard to blend into a wall. For me, the Volt 8 is about the largest I could disguise (poorly)

Are you planning to run the LCR with the XLS2500 amps normally and use the 1000 for surrounds? Just trying to wrap my head around how to configure 8 channels of PA amps in a 5.1 scenario. Maybe one 2500 channel for the center, the 1500 for L/R and the 1000 for surrounds? The "spare" 2500 could be used for subs--in an apartment--play meet the neighbors.

Post pix of your creation as it develops--good luck!

No wife, just limited space too work with. I'm set on 1099s for mains, still not sure if I can make one fit as my center. The Fusion 8 Alchemy center is almost the same sensitivity in a smaller footprint. Neither are in stock so I have time to decide.

As for powering it all, I was planning on a 2500 for LR, another 2500 channel for center, 1000 on the rears and all remaining channels for sub duty. Possibly running two subs, so I could bridge the 1500 too. It'll end up being more of a 5.2. But that's the best part about pro amps, it's always possible to change. And I do always have the 7 channels from the X4200W too.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-08-2016, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You certainly would not be disappointed in the 1099s, and it really was a winner to me to have a full matching LCR. Before my system irritated me because they didn't acoustically match up until I got the 1099s.

As for the surrounds, I feel the Volt-6 really do a great job in matching the 1099s vocally. Not sure about the Volt-8 in that aspect. Though I did have to freak my Volt-10s a bit to get them to that point. Though the Volt-10s certainly dig deeper than the Volt-6. Which is what I do really like about them too. This is with them in the ported enclosures.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-09-2016, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Just ordered a pair of Volt 6's and ported flat packs. I am going to see how well I can put these together before deciding on whether or not to get the bamboo 1099s. If I can find a good center stand I might not have to worry about putting the center in/on the tv stand.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Finally ordered my 1099s! Only two were in stock on DIY but Erich said he might have enough extra to make the horizontal center for me too! I am really excited for these. Now I need to think about subs....
Fattykidd likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-21-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Great news,

When members of your local law enforcement arrive, let them know AVS says hi.

How did the Volt 6 build work out for you? I'm assuming it was no problem so bamboo 1099's to kick things up a notch.

Keep us posted!
Michael Mitten likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

The Volt 6s came out great. I forgot to take pictures of the build, but it was super easy with the flatpacks. I'll throw up a picture of my finished Volts later.

I actually went with the flatpacks for the 1099s so I could keep everything the same color. I'll make sure to take pictures as I'm building them.

And the police wont show up until I get new subs! I'm think dual RS-18s in the 4 cu-ft sealed enclosures, but I'm not sure yet. I also might need to switch to all XLS2500s!
Bagua likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-27-2016, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

All 3 1099s have been ordered, one as a horizontal center. I am planning to get trim rings from Tux and to order crossover boards from mtg90.
wvu80 and ja00 like this.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-27-2016, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a picture of one of my Volt 6s. I think they came out great. I am having a slight hum issue I think might be related to the lower SN on the XLS1000 and the use of compression drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161027_114752.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1738353  
post #14 of 14 Old 10-27-2016, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Those Volt 6 speakers look great

Take a Beta 6 woofer with 2" voice coil and stuff in the CX8 concentric mount and pack in a tiny B&C neo compression driver--throw on the large CX8 fabric dust cap--mix well with a good crossover design and you have the Volt 6. I think that is how t
they did it...could be wrong but it sure looks like it!

So when you get tired of having such "little" speakers--I'll give them a happy home!

Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page