AVS Forum banner

Center channel build?

493 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  asarose247 
#1 ·
I'm finishing up getting things together for the theater and figured I'd upgrade my center channel. Listening distance will be about 15' away and the speaker will be positioned under the screen. I think the entire room is about 550sq feet if you include the L shape. Budget is around $500 but am flexible.

Receiver: Onkyo TX NR636
L and R Speakers: Martin Logan ESL
Bass: 4xpa460 JohnnySubs underscreen and 4xpa460 JohnnySubs nearfield
Surround and Atmos: My old main speakers from previous Onkyo

The speaker can only be 25.5" tall. But the rest of the box can be 2' deep and up to 2.5-3' wide.

Wet primer, but wanted to see the size.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
.02 , no science / discriminating knowledge need apply

sheer physical sizing and budget considered
maybe the DIY soung group "cohesive 893, center channel version"

hopefully someone will chime in wrt how it would blend with the existing front L/R , sensitivity, mlp distance, mlp coverage etc.

and an owner or 2 will add to the input

HTH

edit: the 1099 is 36.5 long and under budget, mostly

#6 ·
Do you think either the 1099 or the f15 (if can be resized) would be able to run off of my reciever power? I think its only rated at about 100wpc. I actually haven't ran my Martin Logans off the reliever yet. I ran them off of 100wpc tube amp but figured the AV receiver would have similar power.

#4 ·
since you seem to have the bass under control, i assume

if you like the 15" seos horn, there is the 88 special

but I'll bet mtg90 could provide some minor geometric tomfoolery to get that fusion15 in the space ,

after looking at mine again, ALREADY 29 TALL, MAYBE THE PORTS COULD BE RELOCATED FOR LESS HEIGHT, tbd

depending on how you EQ the system, the F15 could be some overkill for a center

XT32 set my F15's to "small' and the xo was 40 but I bumped that to 80.

the 88 as a C is at 100 xo

that onky has it's own EQ paradigm and not many were too thrilled when they dropped XT32

and even fewer impressed

#5 ·
#7 ·
AVR wpc powerratings are at best "compromised" once one moves beyond the 'x" wpc in stereo mode spec to driving a 5.x or 7.x system.

you could post more info of your system , the AVR and other stuff,. etc
others with greater science may chime in but even if the wpc drops to 70 ish when driving a 5 or 7 channel system,
depends on the space you're trying to fill and how much SPL you want to fill it with

room size and shape / volume and limitations, 1 row, 2 rows ?
the usual drill

my ATI amp is rated 125 wpc and the 15's in stereo, with sub or subs, beyond -15 MV arescreaming to be backed off

google up some of the 1099 owners and ask them how they power them ,

ask Erich h. at diysg about power needed, the 1099 is a highly efficient design

at best, without more info wrt overall system and room,
it depends . .but probably not that big a concern

HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.