AVS Forum banner

My first DIY subwoofer

644 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Augerhandle 
#1 ·
I'm attempting to do my first powered subwoofer build and would appreciate any advice or help you are willing to give. I am horrible on computers and the Internet searching. I luckily stumbled across this forum yesterday and it has been helpful. After seeing some of the people's home theater systems and elaborate builds on here I'm sure I will get laughed at about what I'm working with but figured I would ask anyway.
I'm working with a tight budget but really want to replace the 50 watt Sony woofer we are using now. I have a new RE Audio sex15 sitting here doing nothing so I decided instead of buying a new powered sub I wanted to try to build my own. I ordered a Bash 500 watt plate amp to power it. Now I need to build the enclosure for it. I really want to build a down firing ported box. The RE Audio site gives dimensions for a recommended enclosure I'm just not sure if that would need to change for a down firing sub. Also would it be ok to fire the sub down and have the port facing forward?
Thanks in advance for any help

#2 ·
I should probably add that this will primarily be used for watching movies and occasionally listening to music.
I've tried reading as much on this as I can but don't really understand the whole 20hz 30hz etc tuning or building enclosures tuned to a certain frequency. I also doubt I have anything to measure these things either. I'm just looking for a great overall bass if that's possible

#3 ·
Port direction doesn't matter. Downfiring does not change the size of the box.

Tuning frequency is determined by port length and box size. Basically at the tuning frequency you get 12 dB extra output over a sealed configuration. Lower tunes require bigger boxes and longer ports.

You can model the box with winISD

#4 ·
Welcome to the Rabbit Hole . . .iirc, Alice also "stumbled' and was never the same
that's your first, last and only warning

and now a word or two from the sites unofficial and ubiquitous sponsor: The Devil's Advocate

PE only lists 2 t/s parameters, probably a problem /non-starter for winISD. i.e. more leg work required

go ahead , as a thought experiment first, using the RE box modeler, looks like < 1 sheet of ply, or a few assorted handi-panels cut down
be careful, they model with ply @ .75, your HD or Lowes ply might be something like .709, so don't pre-cut everything at once
and they don't show bracing . . .

or

stumble on over to the VBSS build thread by mtg90, google it.
the big "V" stands for VALUE
read it and what others what others have done with the ideas, there are many good results, even down firing,
think that easy-peasy no brainer really smart work done by one of many highly respected and available designers through

sell the new RE , that other sub and send the plate amp back for credit.
get 2 of the pa460 drivers

well maybe just the 1 first

easily build 1 (or a pair ), no modeling learning curve to hassle with, of a low tuned 18" VBSS down firing beast(s)

bite the bullet and go for maybe a behringer 3000dsp amp for power, plenty of help available

plan to save up some more money, get REW, a calibrated mike to go with it, solidify /smoothly integrate system performance.

i'd would say HTH, no sarcasm intended.

after stumbling here myself, I build 8 subs in 3 years, worth every second and dime of it

back to the drawing board

Reactions: reference level
#5 ·
Bassment: thank you for the info. It was very helpful.

Asarose: thank you too. (I think). I'm not going to sell the sub or return the plate amp. However now that I've found this site I may end up building another if this project goes well. Not sure what the first and final warning thing was all about but thanks for your input anyway.

#7 · (Edited)
jjtac;47117649 ... said:
[Welcome to the Rabbit Hole . . .iirc, Alice also "stumbled' and was never the same
that's your first, last and only warning]
Not sure what the first and final warning thing was all about but thanks for your input anyway.

Step one, "I wanna build a subwoofer":

Step two, "there's more to it?":

Step three, "I want MOAR":

#8 ·
Thank you guys for your help. It turned out and sounds even better than I expected. I'm still playing it easy trying to follow the break in process I read about somewhere on here but so far I am really happy. Now I might start looking for some plans to build tower speakers to replace what I have. I also see another sub being built soon for my bedroom. I want to shake the whole house with the next one :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.