AVS Forum banner

Mounting a plate amp

546 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jjtac 
#1 ·
What is the best way to mount a plate amp? Is it best to build a seperate part or chamber of the enclosure to mount the plate amp. Or is it better to just cut a hole in the enclosure and mount the amp right in with the subwoofer air space?
I keep going round and round in my head about this because it seems like sharing the airspace would keep it cooler because of the air moving but on the other hand I'm not sure if pressure inside the box would hurt it.

#2 ·
I have a DIY Soundgroup sealed 15" sub. I made a cutout with a jig saw according to the design. The 500 watt Yung plate amp is in the same air space as the sub-woofer driver, no problems at all.

Reactions: jjtac
#4 ·
Although airflow shouldn't be an issue as the units are generally sealed, building a separate chamber seems like a waste of material and time. Also, it doesn't guarantee a perfect seal, but possibly introduces more potential leaks.

IMHO, mount it directly. The amp should have gasket tape around the edge and that's sufficient to seal it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.