DIYing a DSP Processor engine. (Solution) - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #271 of 286 Old 08-12-2017, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
My app is not a player. It is a real-time ASIO DSP device-bridge.
It is basically just a higher channel-count version of a miniDSP, running on a PC instead of a small external blackbox.

A miniDSP doesn't know if it is playing a movie, a game, karaoke, or grandma's xbox.
My app is no different in that regard.

You can't pre-analyze a game or karaoke, as it is real-time audio stream and subject to change, at any moment, for any reason. (That is... *if* you believe in free-will ).

It only knows about the audio frames it has been given in the past or at present. (Which could be anything from Mute zeroes to fully DC clipped i.e. infinite 1's)

The only reason it plays wav and mp3 files at-all, is mostly for debugging purposes.

My app is more like APO EQ, but there are distinct differences:
APO is limited to 7.1, and doesn't support ASIO. It also isn't a device-bridge, APO listens to all Windows sounds.
My app must be given an ASIO input soundcard or at least an ASIO4All virtual-audio input-device. It listens to that, it doesn't listen to Windows sounds. (At least not version 1.0 )

I tried to make my app support WASAPI and Windows sounds. But NAudio was coded by like 5+ different developers and the code is a bit of a mess (too many chef's in the kitchen syndrome. 9 women cannot make a baby in 1 month. Throwing more monkeys and keyboards at the problem isn't always the best solution.) It kept crashing and the functions were drastically different so I aborted that idea... (for now.)

On that note, I've seen several companies go bankrupt because they fire their developers and replace them with cheaper noobs or try to outsource them to India.
The result is that the new developers don't want anything to do with the existing code because it ain't their baby and it is a mess (in their eyes or in actual fact).
Or the noobs fill the code with thousands of errors!

I once was applying around for jobs and this company hired me, their code didn't even compile (thousands of errors, faulty structures and illogic), their production database password was lost, half the code was missing and they didn't even know what source-control was. Then... they had the audacity to try to force me to fix it in just 4 weeks. Needless to say I don't work there anymore. I wonder if they are still in business...
Their code literally looked like a silverback was let loose in a room full of china and banana's. The worse code I've ever seen to-date.

and as for outsourcing, have you ever seen any "India Tech Scammer vs" youtube vids. They ONLY know like 10 commands. Win+R CMD, Regedit, SysKey, Dir, RD and Del *.* LOL
I should totally create a government-level hardened Windows box and watch them be unable to do anything to it (even when logged in as local admin.) They would rage quit every time, it would be absolutely comical.

VP's always think they'll "save money" by outsourcing, but all it does it end up costing a fortune, taking forever, brain-draining your company, and sending your companies and countries money overseas.
The result is no middle class and apps that are quickly pushed out the door, constantly crash and/or doesn't do what you desire, and never does get fixed (because it is full of unsolvable shortcuts and kludges.)
Not to mention the language barrier and the 36 hour communication delay. (It is less risky to buy a clone amp, and make that investment be your core business model. All chips placed on Red. LOL)

One of the government places I worked for spends $500 million dollars A YEAR on outsourced software. The software is a continuous blue screen.
They use to spend only $40 million in-house (and it had zero errors.)
How many African's could have eaten that?
Augerhandle and awediophile like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 286 Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 140
The biggest benefits of outsourcing are its effects on balance sheets and accounting, which in turn misleads investors who obsess over simplistic metrics, thus driving up stock prices. Yeah, it's bad for the long term, but that's not important to executives who can cash in and flee, leaving someone else holding the bag. This private sector fad has invaded public sector practice, where there's less direct cash incentive but plenty opportunity for "political leaders" to claim victory, leaving the ultimate failure for the next elected guy or gal to deal with.

Our economy of "maximizing shareholder value" coupled with a cult-like obsession over metrics that are largely meaningless without being viewed in context has created incentives for some very stupid behavior. So few companies even *do* anything any more. They are just empty shells, taking money from their customers as long as possible before their customers realize they are being ripped off. So sad.
skipz likes this.
post #273 of 286 Old 09-05-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What's the current state of your app right now? I'm just curious.

Are you still trying to determine how to support more than 24 channels properly?

Thanks!

post #274 of 286 Old 09-17-2017, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Events in my life are finally starting to slow a bit.
I've been working 7 days a week for 3 solid months now.
Not even 1 day of rest.
My head feels like it is gonna explode.

I do need to rest for some time, but I will eventually work on this dsp app some more.

So what have I been up to?
Some freaky Area52 database-development most recently:

That is a real database by the way... you can put me on a lie detector if you wish, I will pass it.

The real question is: Do you feel any better now that you know about it?
Probably not I'm assuming... (and maybe that's why you didn't get hired for this task. Crazy tasks for crazy people! )

Just another day, another dollar in Hz Land I suppose. Besides... something's gotta pay for all these subwoofers and dsp modules, they aren't gonna buy themselves!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.png
Views:	226
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	2284414  
post #275 of 286 Old 09-19-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sorry to hear work is so chaotic! At least it pays the bills.

That certainly looks like some... interesting... database work!
post #276 of 286 Old 09-22-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been looking at fanless computers to run my dsp app on. I was thinking of this beast:

The important part is the cpu horsepower.

Eventually I might get two of these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	145
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2286530  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fc9-025-335-s.jpg (94.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg fc9-ht4-045-0255-s.jpg (212.8 KB, 145 views)
post #277 of 286 Old 09-22-2017, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
I've been looking at fanless computers to run my dsp app on. I was thinking of this beast:

The important part is the cpu horsepower.

Eventually I might get two of these.
Your three weeks away from coffee lake, I'd hold off

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
post #278 of 286 Old 09-22-2017, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrumole View Post
Your three weeks away from coffee lake, I'd hold off

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
It's nothing but a slight shrink. I don't think tdp will drop dramatically which is the issue with fanless cases. Ie. Even though they will come in 6 cores the tdp will be higher or else the clock will suffer. There's no march changes this time. It's akin to Nvidia and AMDs rebadging of graphics cards.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
post #279 of 286 Old 09-22-2017, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 86
DIYing a DSP Processor engine. (Solution)

There's no shrink in coffee lake. It's an incremental increase in essentially the same core as skylake but with a different interconnect with the chipset and slightly better voltage control. The entire Coffee lake set up was added due to the 10nm process being delayed and they refreshed it by forecasting increased core count years ago.

But even with the 7700, this case is way under whelming for a cooling standpoint.

If single threaded performance was needed than the 7700 is king but if you needed lots of threads I'd go with a 1700 from AMD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #280 of 286 Old 09-22-2017, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There are leaks of the i7 8700 being 15-30% faster than the i7 7700 while maintaining the same wattage.
Both are probably overkill for DSP.

It's all planned obsolescence regardless, that's why they keeping changing the socket pins and chipsets, to force you to upgrade.
DDR, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, DDR5 and on and on...

It's obsolete before you even hit "add to cart".

The i9 9780xe has already been leaked too and it beats Threadripper already by 30%, although for double the price...
Which is of no surprise since Intel already had the XEON Platinum 8180M with 28 cores and support for 6TB of ram that was released before AMD stuff, and is still the Top Dog cpu. But it's $13,000
The 9780 seems to be a down-graded, over-clocked and price-reduced XEON Gold 6154.

Not sure if you have been following technology closely, but WD just released a 12TB HDD not long ago, if you need those extra 2TB per slot. https://www.amazon.com/Gold-12TB-Dat...dp/B075L6FJH8/

and Seagate's 60TB SSD should be here by Q1, although I'm sure it will cost like $30,000

By 2020 SSD's should be on-par for capacity and price; making HDD's for even archiving stuff a "thing of the past".

Looking into the future, I could see cpu's transforming into cubes, with millions of cores. Possibly just after 1nm chips gets here, or whenever Quantum tunnelling really becomes an impassible issue.

If we could control individual atoms on an electron or photon basis, that would open up at entire dimension of compute power and nanotechnology. (The nano-goo is coming to kill us all!!! )

I'm sure there is a Elon joke in there somewhere...

This will not end well.

No wonder SETI was unable to find anything, all the super-smart atomic-goo killed them all off before they could even radio for help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1wddf4.jpg (94.9 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by BassThatHz; 09-22-2017 at 06:59 PM.
post #281 of 286 Old 09-23-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
There's no shrink in coffee lake. It's an incremental increase in essentially the same core as skylake but with a different interconnect with the chipset and slightly better voltage control. The entire Coffee lake set up was added due to the 10nm process being delayed and they refreshed it by forecasting increased core count years ago.

But even with the 7700, this case is way under whelming for a cooling standpoint.

If single threaded performance was needed than the 7700 is king but if you needed lots of threads I'd go with a 1700 from AMD.

Actually it is a shrink, 14++. Technically the same node but feature size has decreased.

post #282 of 286 Old 09-23-2017, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfries View Post
Actually it is a shrink, 14++. Technically the same node but feature size has decreased.

I'm not sure what you mean by feature size but Intel announced that 14nm++ was a pitch size adjustment giving 25% more current for 50% less power.

You wouldn't be able to adjust that much different voltage on the z270, which is why they are releasing a new socket and most likely a new DMI link.

post #283 of 286 Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 AM

I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. Anyway, no real point in upgrading.

post #284 of 286 Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I installed update-1 for esxi6.5 (fresh install).

That part worked, but no sound would actually send to the motu from it. Even though it was detected and playing without error. Weird!

Tried Win 10, 12R2. No luck!
Tried Chrome, tried Foobar, tried ASIO. No Luck!

So I guess it's gonna have to be a physical machine. (Probably for the best anyways!)

side note: You can boot the esxi6.5u1 onto a fat32 micro sd, and then overwrite that same volume with the install. That actually works! (Formats the whole volume/drive though. All partitions!)
Turn the server off, pull the usb stick out and it is secure and unbootable, well... only if you encrypt your vm's. (Anyone with a similar stick could otherwise still get to them, if they knew what they were doing...)
Also setting a bios pw on the server wouldn't hurt. Any hoe...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	73
Size:	719.6 KB
ID:	2294808  
post #285 of 286 Old 10-08-2017, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Gonna be installing $17,000 worth of computer hardware onto one of our server's at work over the next 2-3weeks.
The host and vm's haven't been rebooted in years and each blade has been running for over 300days.
The blades were powered down when I replaced the ram in them almost a year ago.

Doubling the UPS's from 1 to 2.
Doubling the number of hard drives from 10 to 20.
Doubling the raid controllers from 1 to 2.
This doubles the storage and doubles the read/write throughput, and provides even more redundancy.

The drives and ups's can be done hot, because of quad redundant power supplies and raid controllers with hot-swap abilities.
The pcie controller though requires that the host, all blades and be powered off.
The vm's will be vmotioned, so they will remain up.

So much for our perfect host uptime-record though!

With double ups's, dual raid, octal nic's and quad PS's, and quad blades each with dual cpu's, once we power it on... it will really stay on forever, as in like: until I'm dead. LOL!

The uptime will be truly scary.

You can even rebuild the OS hot, if you plan it right. (Requires a cluster of 3 active failovers or a distributed SOA architecture.)
post #286 of 286 Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
So I installed update-1 for esxi6.5 (fresh install).

That part worked, but no sound would actually send to the motu from it. Even though it was detected and playing without error. Weird!

Tried Win 10, 12R2. No luck!
Tried Chrome, tried Foobar, tried ASIO. No Luck!

So I guess it's gonna have to be a physical machine. (Probably for the best anyways!)

side note: You can boot the esxi6.5u1 onto a fat32 micro sd, and then overwrite that same volume with the install. That actually works! (Formats the whole volume/drive though. All partitions!)
Turn the server off, pull the usb stick out and it is secure and unbootable, well... only if you encrypt your vm's. (Anyone with a similar stick could otherwise still get to them, if they knew what they were doing...)
Also setting a bios pw on the server wouldn't hurt. Any hoe...
Are you passing the device through to your VM? If so try passing a USB PORT through instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page