OJ's DIYSG HTM-12 Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 85Likes
post #31 of 49 Unread 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Looking good, wich paint will it be, Duratex?

Last edited by Altzheimer; 12-30-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Unread 12-30-2016, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altzheimer View Post
Looking good, wich paint will it be, Duratex?
No, I didn't want to go duratex, so I went to the paint store near work and asked if they had any dark colours in the mistint section. I managed to pick up a gallon of flat black for $10. Since they'll be behind the screen, that should be perfect.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #33 of 49 Unread 01-03-2017, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Happy New Year, everyone!

Basically a "nothing" update today, because I took a break from building over the holiday and either spent time with the boys, or relaxing with my wife instead of freezing my fingers off in the garage. I finished filling and sanding, and it seems like the enclosures came out pretty clean. I had a few small low spots filled in (from over- or under-sanding) and most of the filler left is just sitting in the little pits where I didn't have 100% fill in the glue joints at the outside edge. They might look a bit ugly still, but they're generally baby's-butt smooth. And not caked with filler either, which I like.

I did manage to get a coat of primer on all 3 enclosures, but didn't move on to either a second coat or actual paint. I think I'll skip the 2nd coat of primer and just go straight to paint, and do either 2 or 3 coats if required.

I'll get back to work this week and start painting for real. I'm thinking a small foam roller to minimize texture, we'll see how that works out. Still waiting on binding posts, so I don't feel like I have to push. (also, I don't really have anywhere to put these till the theatre is built in like a year... but you know, priorities.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 031.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1870097   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 032.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1870105   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 033.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1870113   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 034.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1870121   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 035.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1870129  

openbaffled, Patzig and Altzheimer like this.

Last edited by OJ Bartley; 01-03-2017 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Skipped an intermediary step

post #34 of 49 Unread 01-16-2017, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After a bit of a slowdown with minimal progress in tiny steps (kids sick, us sick, frigid garage temps, busy schedules), I finally have a step worth showing.

The cabinets are finished with paint. Most surfaces got 3 coats, except the back and bottoms, which got 2 each due to flipping around while painting. The paint is Sherwin Williams Quali-Kote "Blacktop" in a flat finish. To be honest, it has a little more grey/green in it than I would like, but since they'll be behind the screen anyway I settled for "just OK" because it was a gallon of good quality flat almost-black paint from the mistint section and it only cost me $10.00. I have a ton left to do the subs, screen frame, anything else that needs to suck up light and won't be obviously visible in the room. If they were going to be visible, I think I would have tried laminate... that WilsonArt Asian Night is great looking stuff.

I thought I had a foam roller to use, but when I was ready to go it turned out that the roller I had didn't fit the handle I had, so I just uses a regular short nap roller. Again, they'll be behind the screen, so this is more about performance than looks. They really don't look bad, and the paint went on nice and covered well. It has the usual tendency of "flat" paints to show every little mark and finger smudge, so it will be interesting to see how these hold up through the rest of the build. I'll likely have to do some touchup eventually. The green was much more pronounced when the paint was wet, as you can see in the wet/dry comparison below (those closeups were after the first coat).

I'm still waiting for my binding posts. But the cabinets are otherwise ready for them so when they arrive I can get them all assembled and test out some music and movies. I'm excited to see how much of an improvement I get with dialogue. We watched Civil War last night and I have both the "dialogue" setting and the centre channel level cranked up to get intelligible voices in quiet passages. When we watch with the kids in bed I usually turn on the dynamic compression, but I don't think it's actually doing much to help. Anyway, some progress, and I'm just about at the end of this build. Finally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HTM-12 036.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	1898777   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 037.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1898785   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 038.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1898793   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 039.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1898801  
post #35 of 49 Unread 01-28-2017, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You give these a listen yet? How is dialog?
post #36 of 49 Unread 01-29-2017, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarnoise View Post
You give these a listen yet? How is dialog?
Sadly, I still haven't finished them. Still waiting on the binding posts to arrive. If I wasn't spending all of my free time chasing after 2 little boys, having them sitting this close to finished would be driving me up the wall. I will definitely post in here with results when I get them all done.

post #37 of 49 Unread 01-29-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
OJ's DIYSG HTM-12 Build

Cabinets look great and you haven't even finished them yet. Keep it going OJ I know how it is with little kids there's no time for anything besides what there doing and the end of the day you want to collapse in bed. So far from what pictures you posted your near the end of it.
post #38 of 49 Unread 01-29-2017, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Cabinets look great and you haven't even finished them yet. Keep it going OJ I know how it is with little kids there's no time for anything besides what there doing and the end of the day you want to collapse in bed. So far from what pictures you posted your near the end of it.
You're absolutely right about that! A lot of nights after we get the kids in bed we just tidy up, watch a show, and then crash out.

I'm literally 1 night away from finishing, as soon as the binding posts arrive, I just have to drill holes, install them, then connect and install the drivers. Just playing the waiting game now.

post #39 of 49 Unread 01-29-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 476
You know what they say "You'll never get the time back that you wasted spending with your kids. You might as well waste it doing something you love" like building speakers. Wait no one said that ever. I feel you guys. I've got two young boys and I either work on my projects at night, take time off from work or wait till my wife takes the boys to visit my in-laws.

Seems like you're all but done though. You're gonna love these speakers.
brian6751 likes this.
post #40 of 49 Unread 01-30-2017, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post
You know what they say "You'll never get the time back that you wasted spending with your kids. You might as well waste it doing something you love" like building speakers. Wait no one said that ever. I feel you guys. I've got two young boys and I either work on my projects at night, take time off from work or wait till my wife takes the boys to visit my in-laws.

Seems like you're all but done though. You're gonna love these speakers.
Too true, Vic. Mine are 1 and 3, so it seems like they're changing every week. I've been very lucky to have been able to stay very involved in the parenting thanks to a flexible work schedule, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Eventually they'll be out making sawdust with me, but for now I'll just squeeze project time in when I can and go slow.
post #41 of 49 Unread 02-07-2017, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Remember those speakers that I was going to have ready for Boxing Day? Yeah, they're getting close now. LOL.

Binding posts have still not arrived and I'm well past the estimated outside ship date. Time to have the seller ship another set. In the meantime, I decided to go ahead and get as close as I could to "finished", so all I have to do is drill for the posts, attach the leads, and close everything up.

I went ahead with one speaker that I plan to test as the centre channel in my existing setup over the weekend, because I'm dying to hear something from these. I basically drilled 1/8" holes in the locations for the binding posts and squeezed the bare leads out. When the posts arrive, I can drill out the proper size and go ahead.

I started by making a quick cardboard template for drilling the holes for the binding posts. I measured out roughly where I wanted them based on the location of the crossover and length of the leads I left for the input. Each speaker now has a pilot hole ready to finish in the correct diameter for posts. Then I lined up the woofer, marked the holes, pulled the woofer, and drilled the locations for screws. While I was at it, I took a plain old Sharpie to the silver edge of the woofer basket, which worked like a charm. I just did long smooth strokes instead of colouring like my kids do, and it went on fine. I did run around the lip twice, just to get a good coat.

I had my big helper get involved so he can tell his friends one day "I built those speakers". Also he loved the tiny wrench we used to mount the CD to the waveguide. I wasn't sure how tight to attach this, so I went about a 1/2 turn past "snug" without having to really reef on the wrench. I also thought I'd add an extra detail at this point. I read about people using other waveguides and using things like plumber's putty, fiberglass, and modeling clay on the back to to damp it. I don't think it's really necessary for the SEOS, since it is made of much thicker material than I saw others using, but I had some Dynamat lying around and I thought "why not?". So I attached a strip about an inch or so wide on each side of the waveguide. NOTE: Please let me know if this was a bad idea and may cause negative effects - I can't think of why it might, but I don't know how waveguides operate really.

And finally, I connected the woofer and waveguide, and mounted them in the enclosure. I didn't have time to do the ports last night, so I attacked them with an angle grinder and a cutoff disc this morning in between dropping the kids at daycare and running for my train. I'll get them in tonight. I did a quick music test... and it works. I listened for about 1 minute and at low - moderate volume, but they sound nice (even without the port) and even moving around the room the sound was still quite full.

After this weekend I'll have finished this one and hopefully have a few movies worth of listening impressions. And then whenever my posts arrive I'll get the other two stitched up and test the trio together. There WILL be a conclusion to this build eventually!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HTM-12 040.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1949929   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 041.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	1949937   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 042.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1949945   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 043.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1949953   Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM-12 044.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1949961  

Name:	HTM-12 045.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	1949969  
post #42 of 49 Unread 02-08-2017, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One speaker is good to go. I can't call it "finished" because I still need binding posts, but it is up and running, and will be tested this weekend. Listening impressions of the single one in centre channel duty to follow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HTM-12 046.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1952025  
post #43 of 49 Unread 02-13-2017, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, the slowest build in the world continues!

I spent some time with this single HTM-12 set up as the centre this weekend, and we were able to go through a couple of movies, Star Trek Beyond and Jason Bourne. Now I should say first that I did not rerun Audyssey. I did a quick test with it on and off, and when I turned it off I realized what a difference it is making. So I left it on, as an unscientific first attempt and went ahead.

The existing centre channel (Paradigm CC-370) which is a match to the Monitor 7 towers is set at 0, while the front L/R towers are -3. The "dialogue" setting is turned up to +6. When I swapped in the HTM-12, I had to set the centre level to -1 and bring the L/R up to +1, and bring "dialogue" back to 0 to get a reasonably close match. So the efficiency was immediately evident.

Even with the totally inappropriate Audyssey settings for a vastly different speaker in place, the HTM-12 sounded great. Voices and dialogue were clear and crisp, and we never felt strained when listening to quieter speech. The sound was so clean that I found myself turning things up a few times... not because we couldn't hear it, but because it sounded so good and I wanted more of it! This was just a quick and dirty "make sure it's working" test, but I'd call it a success. I'll probably set up with all 3 when I get the binding posts* and run a new Audyssey setup for them just to get a better idea how they sound, but until the basement gets finished (ahem - started) they'll be hanging out in storage. Here's a quick pic of the test setup. Ignore all the kid junk, there's just not enough places to hide it all until we get the basement done. I'll finish this up with a more detailed review when I get them all running at once, but for now, that's about it. Thanks for your patience while I worked away at a snail's pace here.

Next frustratingly slow moving project... twin UXL-18s. Stay tuned.

*Since the binding posts hadn't arrived almost a month after their estimated arrival date, I contacted the seller on eBay and was refunded the full amount. I'll leave them as-is for now, and decide what to do about them later, since they won't be put into regular service for a while.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HTM-12 047.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1964433  
post #44 of 49 Unread 02-13-2017, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Looking really good. Shoot, I don't have kids and my builds still take an eternity.

Question, how difficult was it to get them across the border? I lucked out with my LCR and found some locally but my surrounds will be ordered soon.
post #45 of 49 Unread 02-13-2017, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It was actually pretty easy. If you live close to the border just use a service to ship to (l used CBI Niagara). I went down one morning and picked up my boxes, showed the receipt at the border, went in and paid HST, and that was it. I'll be shipping there again for sure. Likely for my receiver and projector.

post #46 of 49 Unread 02-15-2017, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
It was actually pretty easy. If you live close to the border just use a service to ship to (l used CBI Niagara). I went down one morning and picked up my boxes, showed the receipt at the border, went in and paid HST, and that was it. I'll be shipping there again for sure. Likely for my receiver, projector and binding posts.

OJ Bartley likes this.

post #47 of 49 Unread 04-16-2017, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Hows it going with these? Get time to finish them yet?

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater
post #48 of 49 Unread 04-17-2017, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
and binding posts.
Binding posts are all sorted out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Hows it going with these? Get time to finish them yet?
Brian, I've put them on hold while I worked on the enclosures for the subs, but I just finished the main assembly of the second one over the weekend. Still have some flush trimming to do before I sand and fill them both, but I'm getting there. I have to wait for a new flush trim bit in the mail, so this week I might switch back to the HTMs and try to get them all finished up.
brian6751 likes this.
post #49 of 49 Unread Today, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Those look fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs