Remember those speakers that I was going to have ready for Boxing Day? Yeah, they're getting close now. LOL.
Binding posts have still not arrived and I'm well past the estimated outside ship date. Time to have the seller ship another set. In the meantime, I decided to go ahead and get as close as I could to "finished", so all I have to do is drill for the posts, attach the leads, and close everything up.
I went ahead with one speaker that I plan to test as the centre channel in my existing setup over the weekend, because I'm dying to hear something from these. I basically drilled 1/8" holes in the locations for the binding posts and squeezed the bare leads out. When the posts arrive, I can drill out the proper size and go ahead.
I started by making a quick cardboard template for drilling the holes for the binding posts. I measured out roughly where I wanted them based on the location of the crossover and length of the leads I left for the input. Each speaker now has a pilot hole ready to finish in the correct diameter for posts. Then I lined up the woofer, marked the holes, pulled the woofer, and drilled the locations for screws. While I was at it, I took a plain old Sharpie to the silver edge of the woofer basket, which worked like a charm. I just did long smooth strokes instead of colouring like my kids do, and it went on fine. I did run around the lip twice, just to get a good coat.
I had my big helper get involved so he can tell his friends one day "I built those speakers". Also he loved the tiny wrench we used to mount the CD to the waveguide. I wasn't sure how tight to attach this, so I went about a 1/2 turn past "snug" without having to really reef on the wrench. I also thought I'd add an extra detail at this point. I read about people using other waveguides and using things like plumber's putty, fiberglass, and modeling clay on the back to to damp it. I don't think it's really necessary for the SEOS, since it is made of much thicker material than I saw others using, but I had some Dynamat lying around and I thought "why not?". So I attached a strip about an inch or so wide on each side of the waveguide. NOTE: Please let me know if this was a bad idea and may cause negative effects - I can't think of why it might, but I don't know how waveguides operate really.
And finally, I connected the woofer and waveguide, and mounted them in the enclosure. I didn't have time to do the ports last night, so I attacked them with an angle grinder and a cutoff disc this morning in between dropping the kids at daycare and running for my train. I'll get them in tonight. I did a quick music test... and it works. I listened for about 1 minute and at low - moderate volume, but they sound nice (even without the port) and even moving around the room the sound was still quite full.
After this weekend I'll have finished this one and hopefully have a few movies worth of listening impressions. And then whenever my posts arrive I'll get the other two stitched up and test the trio together. There WILL be a conclusion to this build eventually!