AVS Forum banner

DIY 18" Sub Build (Reaction Audio PS-18x Slave)

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  TooPoor 
#1 ·
Recently I've wanted to get into DIY speaker building, but have almost no tools, or experience (and admittedly less technical knowledge) to feel confident enough to start. Reading over build threads and seeing how crossovers are made, how cabinets are constructed, etc. left me feeling very discouraged. That was until I had the idea to create a 'slave' sub to accompany my Reaction Audio PS-18x. The sub has a SpeakerPower plate amp (SP1-4000 Torpedo) that allows for another sub to be connected. I had originally planned to order one awhile ago, but never got around to it. Now, RA is out of business, so ordering one is not an option. So I started doing some cursory research and slowly began to learn that I could make one of these myself at an attractive cost. And now creating this thread is my next step.

What I Have (BOM)
1x 18" driver: Same exact driver used in the PS-18x. Confirmed with Paul @ Pierce Audio. Awaiting delivery. (http://www.pierceaudioproducts.com/series-1k-subwoofers.html)
1x 4cu.ft. flatpack which I was told would work with the driver (http://www.parts-express.com/denovo...-for-dayton-audio-18-reference-seri--300-7079)
12awg speaker wire
2x Neutrik NLFC SpeakON Connector
1x Neutrik NL4MPR SpeakON Connector

What I Need
- To understand how to properly wire the SpeakON connectors and the sub. The plate amp has a male SpeakON out, so I just need to properly wire the sub to the male SpeakON out. I'm not sure how to do this.
- Proper sized wood clamps. What size would be best for this build? 24"? I'm planning on getting a min of 4.
- Any other tips or tricks to make this build go trouble free!

I've likely left out some details, so please feel free to ask any questions.

See less See more
#3 ·
What I Need
- To understand how to properly wire the SpeakON connectors and the sub. The plate amp has a male SpeakON out, so I just need to properly wire the sub to the male SpeakON out. I'm not sure how to do this.
- Proper sized wood clamps. What size would be best for this build? 24"? I'm planning on getting a min of 4.
- Any other tips or tricks to make this build go trouble free!

I've likely left out some details, so please feel free to ask any questions.
SpeakOn Connector Wiring (assuming amp output connector is wired normally):

Positive to 1+, Negative to 1-

Wood clamps: 24" clamps will work fine for that box. You can't have too many clamps. Get 4 at an absolute minimum. I'd say 8 clamps is optimal, but not absolutely necessary. The no name Harbor Freight clamps are cheap, but terrible quality (many break immediately). I've found Tekton to be reasonably priced and very good quality.

Woofer wiring: Did you get the dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm woofer?

#4 ·
It's been said many times, but it's still true: "you can NEVER have too many clamps". Some panels can be weighted down, but the more evenly you can distribute the pressure the better the results will be. Even when I was just clamping the front baffles on my HTM-10 speakers I had 7 clamps on hand and found I really should have had 8. You don't need to squeeze them within an inch of their lives, you might actually squeeze too much glue out that way. Just make everything like "9/10ths" tight on the clamps. That should also keep the cheaper ones from snapping on you.

Any idea what the excursion is on that Pierce woofer? I've looked at them before, and I don't think they publish an xmax number. They look really solid in any case.

#6 ·
So I suffered a hand injury that delayed this project and I still haven't received the driver yet. I have started building the cabinet and whilst waiting for the glue to dry, I started thinking about the SpeakOn adapters. Instead of making my own, could I use this:
Pyle-Pro PPSS30 30' Foot Professional Speaker Cable Male Compatible With Speakon Connector to Male Compatible With Speakon Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E1U4WY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_d5rJybSXSJJ70

Also, I was told the driver was: "It is single 4 ohm. Really a dual 2 ohm 4 layer internally in series to 4 ohms."

So I'm not entirely sure how to wire the female Speakon connector. I'm pretty sure I know how to wire the driver... Any advise would be hugely appreciated!

#9 · (Edited)
So I went to Paul @ Pierce Audio to buy the same woofer that he proved to RA FOR the PS-18x, but I received something very obviously different. Can I safely assume that I can't use this woofer with my PS-18x? What should I do?

PS-18x

Pierce Audio 18"

#10 ·
Not necessarily. Just because the magnets look different doesn't mean they won't give you the same output/response. They could be a different grade of ferrite, or magnetized to a different field strength, etc. Ask him why the magnets/motor are different and see what he says. Keep in mind also that drivers will "break in" over time, some more than others, so the first time you listen to it isn't necessarily representative of its final performance/parameters.

#11 ·
bpgunning, I had thought of that as well. I sent a message out to Paul. We'll see what he says. Otherwise, here are some crappy pics of the 'build' :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.