2453H-SL on STX825 waveguide over 2265g-1 center channel - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 08-12-2017, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuddyguy View Post
What do you think of the STX waveguide vs 2384? Do you feel its a decent compromise? Is there much of a difference? Thanks for your contributions in testing the various large format compression drivers...I've never heard one in a home setting and I'm interested in trying it out... perhaps cloning a 4722 but using a different lower section maybe if I can't find the 265-h2 drivers at a reasonable price.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
The STX waveguide seems to be ok down to like 800hz, but that's as low as you can really run it. It's newer JBL tech so it should be solid, but I haven't gotten to measure off axis on it yet.

The 2384 is awesome, but it's also huge. The 2384 provides a good coverage pattern with smooth off axis response. If you can fit it, don't see any reason not to. The 2384 won't control the pattern down as low, but it seems fine to me so far using at with a steep 800hz xover. Sounds great, no complaints, but I am also using it in a treated room... At some point I'll get it out into a field and take some measurements, but no idea when that's gonna be.

If you're going to clone the 4722, no need to use a 265h-2, you might want to look at the 2265hpl. I used a single 2265g-1 just to keep impedance close to the 4722s bottoms I use for the L/R, but if you're using 2 15s, and of the H drivers in parallel should do. The 2265hpl is a better driver than the 265h-2 and easier to get a hold of. They're all good diff drive units, but if using only one, the 265h-2 can't handle as much power.

When I checked on the price/availability of the 265h-2, there was a big lead time, and the price didn't make sense. The 2265s should do just fine.
joebuddyguy likes this.
notnyt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 38 Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
joebuddyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
The STX waveguide seems to be ok down to like 800hz, but that's as low as you can really run it. It's newer JBL tech so it should be solid, but I haven't gotten to measure off axis on it yet.

The 2384 is awesome, but it's also huge. The 2384 provides a good coverage pattern with smooth off axis response. If you can fit it, don't see any reason not to. The 2384 won't control the pattern down as low, but it seems fine to me so far using at with a steep 800hz xover. Sounds great, no complaints, but I am also using it in a treated room... At some point I'll get it out into a field and take some measurements, but no idea when that's gonna be.

If you're going to clone the 4722, no need to use a 265h-2, you might want to look at the 2265hpl. I used a single 2265g-1 just to keep impedance close to the 4722s bottoms I use for the L/R, but if you're using 2 15s, and of the H drivers in parallel should do. The 2265hpl is a better driver than the 265h-2 and easier to get a hold of. They're all good diff drive units, but if using only one, the 265h-2 can't handle as much power.

When I checked on the price/availability of the 265h-2, there was a big lead time, and the price didn't make sense. The 2265s should do just fine.
Thanks for the info man... I'll likely be using 2384s over the 2265 then if/when I proceed

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
joebuddyguy is offline  
post #33 of 38 Old 08-12-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,473
Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
@notnyt


any idea what the difference is between the 265h-2 and the 265h-1?


they appear to use the same cone:


http://reconingspeakers.com/product/...-1-recone-kit/


and they appear to have the same thiele small parameters:


http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/thi...parameters.pdf

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
 
post #34 of 38 Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
@notnyt


any idea what the difference is between the 265h-2 and the 265h-1?


they appear to use the same cone:


http://reconingspeakers.com/product/...-1-recone-kit/


and they appear to have the same thiele small parameters:


http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/thi...parameters.pdf
I think the 265h-1 originally used a lighter colored cone material. not sure what any actual differences are between them. Maybe the revision was just due to this change? no idea.
LTD02 likes this.
notnyt is offline  
post #35 of 38 Old 08-13-2017, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 20,473
Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked: 2832
good eye. that seems to be it. i wouldn't be surprised if that was when they shifted from producing cones in ca to mexico. anyway...perhaps they are available. note also, the ribbing is gone.


265H-1 is still listed on the main web spec page:



while the spec sheet has been updated to reflect the new (dark) cones. it seems the change was made at least as far back as 2009 as that is the date on the pdf properties reflecting the change to the 265h-2







so, sites like this may just be using the old model number, since the picture is showing the dark cone.









original with light cones







newer vintage (2013 or so).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	265H-1.png
Views:	62
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	2266964   Click image for larger version

Name:	265H-2.png
Views:	62
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	2266966   Click image for larger version

Name:	265h-1 jacks.png
Views:	60
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	2266970   Click image for larger version

Name:	old photo.png
Views:	61
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	2266972   Click image for larger version

Name:	new photo.png
Views:	62
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	2266974  

bscool likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #36 of 38 Old 08-13-2017, 06:43 AM
Member
 
emilime75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If only they could get their documentation right.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
265H-1 is still listed on the main web spec page:


bscool likes this.
emilime75 is online now  
post #37 of 38 Old 08-13-2017, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 8,659
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2714 Post(s)
Liked: 2503
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilime75 View Post
If only they could get their documentation right.
rofl, jbl's documentation is notoriously bad.
notnyt is offline  
post #38 of 38 Old 08-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Member
 
emilime75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Oh, I'm well aware. Kinda sad, for such a company, with wrong part numbers, wrong photos for products being advertised...
emilime75 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off