Next I Wet sand the primer with 400, then 600. Did a double coat of Rustoleum Black Gloss Enamel. Waited overnight and did a 2nd double coat. Let that dry and then it was on to the finish. I chose to go with Envirotex Lite epoxy resin. That was a slow process. I heated up my office to 95 degrees. Used plastic w/ masking tape to wrap it as the epoxy drips over the edges. Then after it sits for 45 minutes I pulled the tape/plastic off so it didn't permanently adhere to the tape. Then it cured for at least 10 hours before it could be handled and a new side began.
Next I ran the necessary wires in between two sections of the top cabinet and hot glued the holes the wires ran though. I found a felt roll at Home Depot and used that under the XOs to prevent rattling.
I wanted the top removable and with the ability to swivel. I bought some 16 guage 1.5" sink pipes and cut them to 2". I then sanded (400 grit) and sprayed them (along with magnetic dots seen on the upper cab for looks) with Rustoleum Metallic Copper. I used a 1.5" dowel that I had to sand down for the insides. I also had to cut the banana plugs that go inside almost in half so there would be room for them and some extra wire. The backs 3 pipes were glued (CA glue) and screwed into the top cab before I epoxied that side. I then glued in another small section of dowel so the felt would have something to sit support it.
Then I made a 1" dowel with holes large enough for posts to go into. I attached that with CA glue to the top of the bottom cab. The plugs from the top cab plug in here and the front pipe swivels on that dowel.
The piping was inspired by kefref over at the DIYSG forum
Matt designed the XO board and installed the parts on the first. I copied his work and found that the XO for the top cab on fit into 1 spot and even then I had to trim the extra plastic off of the tweeter mounting section of the waveguide. It fit with about 1/4" to spare!
I used recycled denim from HD to line the inside of the top and bottom cab. I was also concerned about the wires rattling around so I used some of the leftover felt roll on the loose wires by sewing the felt together. That made a tube which fit nicely over the 16 guage monoprice wire.
Installed the drivers & port then turned em on!
Eventually I will get around to adding some cloth for the drivers.
Here is the finished product: