DIYSG Titan-615 Build - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 587Likes

Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCC Tim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Damn. Your stage is impressive.
Thanks. It's pretty modest compared to many on here, but I like the way it is coming out.
Great job. Your front wall is a thing of beauty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Great job. Your front wall is a thing of beauty.
Thanks yours is pretty darn impressive too. When I see stages like yours, and @eng-399, and @VicTorious1, etc, I'll I can think of is this:

VicTorious1 and eng-399 like this.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 2342
@RCC Tim great work they turned out really good and your stage in your... wow very nice! What ever you have for subs in your room these will keep up. The Titans will loosen up after some break in time to. Play them at medium to moderate levels for a while and you should be good to go.
Congrats on your Titans!

Old 03-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
@RCC Tim great work they turned out really good and your stage in your... wow very nice! What ever you have for subs in your room these will keep up. The Titans will loosen up after some break in time to. Play them at medium to moderate levels for a while and you should be good to go.
Congrats on your Titans!
Thanks. This thread got me really excited about building them, so thanks for the inspiration. I actually haven't decided on subs yet. I've been looking at the PSA's, and thinking about DIY. I was first looking at a v3601, but I think a couple of V1801's would look good between the Titans. I would probably actually do some crawling to see where they sound best. I'm thinking about putting one/some in the cabinets of the island, so they are right behind the first row, for some tactical. Your sub build thread has me inspired for DIY, although I don't think I will go as big as you Next up is the screen, and the Volt 10's anyway. Must resist the urge to purchases electronics.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Thanks. This thread got me really excited about building them, so thanks for the inspiration. I actually haven't decided on subs yet. I've been looking at the PSA's, and thinking about DIY. I was first looking at a v3601, but I think a couple of V1801's would look good between the Titans. I would probably actually do some crawling to see where they sound best. I'm thinking about putting one/some in the cabinets of the island, so they are right behind the first row, for some tactical. Your sub build thread has me inspired for DIY, although I don't think I will go as big as you Next up is the screen, and the Volt 10's anyway. Must resist the urge to purchases electronics.
Have you considered the Marty Sub? The Full Marty would look and sound great on your stage. Alternatively, the VBSS has a lower cost, but you could do as many as you could fit in your room. Perhaps four on your front stage and a few in the rear. I'd definitely look at DIY. Great bang for your buck. If you want to blow your socks off, you could consider the Submaximus. A couple of those would be more than enough bass in your room.... at first.
asarose247, eng-399 and hd0823 like this.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post
Have you considered the Marty Sub? The Full Marty would look and sound great on your stage. Alternatively, the VBSS has a lower cost, but you could do as many as you could fit in your room. Perhaps four on your front stage and a few in the rear. I'd definitely look at DIY. Great bang for your buck. If you want to blow your socks off, you could consider the Submaximus. A couple of those would be more than enough bass in your room.... at first.
Oh no....Those look very interesting. You know my theater was just going to be a painted on screen, and a couch, until I found this place. You guys are costing me a lot of money, and I thank you all for it
Fattykidd likes this.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Oh no....Those look very interesting. You know my theater was just going to be a painted on screen, and a couch, until I found this place. You guys are costing me a lot of money, and I thank you all for it
Haha! This diy forum really saves you money. I first bought two complete ID systems and was less than satisfied. Once I came to diy, everything has been more affordable, and way way better than the internet direct stuff I've thrown money at. Think of my case, I bought speakers and subs, sold them at half price. Upgraded to 'better' stuff, sold at half price. Discovered diy, built some subs, sold at cost to me. Built some LCR's, sold close to cost to me. Now I'm happy with what I have. Diy 18's ported blow away the output of the ID stuff available, and at a cost savings in most cases. And look at your new titans! Those would cost a fortune if not for DIYSG!
Hey, I'm just sayin.
gworrel, eng-399 and Fattykidd like this.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tom and PSA make some great products, but due to shipping weight, employee expenses and other overhead, DIY is just going to be that much less expensive. Before I fell down the DIY rabbit hole I was going to replace my SVS subs with PSA subs. For the price of one V1801, you could build two full martys using two UM18s ($520 for two with $40 off coupon), four sheets of MDF ($120), and other miscellaneous items ($150), and power them with an iNuke 6000DSP ($350ish with coupon), for a grand total of approximately $1,150 (closer to $1,050 if you use flat black paint and mattress topper). Six VBSS would require six Dayton PA460s ($560 for six with $40 coupon), six sheets of MDF ($180), and other miscellaneous items ($300 for precision ports, glue, insulation, duratex, etc.), and power them with an iNuke 3000DSP ($250ish with coupon), for a grand total of approximately $1,300 (which would be closer to $1,200 if you use flat paint and mattress topper for insulation, if at all).
Old 03-27-2017, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Old 03-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Love how everyone in the diy section eventually learns the sales pitch!
Just trying to help!
brian6751 and VicTorious1 like this.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Tom and PSA make some great products, but due to shipping weight, employee expenses and other overhead, DIY is just going to be that much less expensive. Before I fell down the DIY rabbit hole I was going to replace my SVS subs with PSA subs. For the price of one V1801, you could build two full martys using two UM18s ($520 for two with $40 off coupon), four sheets of MDF ($120), and other miscellaneous items ($150), and power them with an iNuke 6000DSP ($350ish with coupon), for a grand total of approximately $1,150 (closer to $1,050 if you use flat black paint and mattress topper). Six VBSS would require six Dayton PA460s ($560 for six with $40 coupon), six sheets of MDF ($180), and other miscellaneous items ($300 for precision ports, glue, insulation, duratex, etc.), and power them with an iNuke 3000DSP ($250ish with coupon), for a grand total of approximately $1,300 (which would be closer to $1,200 if you use flat paint and mattress topper for insulation, if at all).
Awesome info, thanks. I had looked at the Marty's a while back, but only briefly. I wasn't far enough long to worry about subs too much. I don't mean to hi-jack the Titan thread here either, but I did just measure, and I have 36" between my Titan's, but I only have ~22" from the wall to the front of the screen. I guess I would have to go taller, and shallower, if I went with the full Marty. I also have three cabinets in the bar, that could each hold a Marty cube, and fire right into the back of the front row.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Just trying to help!
Ya "help"... like a good dealer "helps" JK!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
eng-399, I've heard people say, the bigger the subwoofer, the sloppier the bass. But you said you were hearing detailed bass out of your new 21" driver that you never heard before. Any thoughts on this? Would you say this pro 21" driver is as tight as a 10" or 12"? How do you deal with bass management with your 615's? Do you play the 615's at full spectrum and then add the 21" subs at LEF on top? ...so many questions :-)
Old 04-10-2017, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McCool View Post
eng-399, I've heard people say, the bigger the subwoofer, the sloppier the bass.
Whoever told you that was wrong. There are many factors that can contribute positively or negatively to how "tight" a subwoofer sounds, but simply saying that cone size = tight sound vs. sloppy sound is false. You should take a look through the 32" IST/Mach V audio subwoofer thread that has been happening for a while now so that you can see what's possible.
Gouie, JCJetta, Fattykidd and 1 others like this.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 2342
DIYSG Titan-615 Build

Quote:
eng-399, I've heard people say, the bigger the subwoofer, the sloppier the bass. But you said you were hearing detailed bass out of your new 21" driver that you never heard before. Any thoughts on this? Would you say this pro 21" driver is as tight as a 10" or 12"? How do you deal with bass management with your 615's? Do you play the 615's at full spectrum and then add the 21" subs at LEF on top? ...so many questions :-)

@mtg90 what did you think about the subs on Friday when we played a ton of demo clips through them with the Titan's backing them.
I cross the subs at 80 so far because that's were my rew graph looks the best when intergrading with my mains. (Titan's)
The B&C subs are really sensitive and I think what I was hearing before might of been some distortion. These are very sensitive subs and with certain material I'm use to hearing I now hear more. I feel these subs pick up some type of material that's in the movie my old subs didn't pick up. Ask Matt G about that. I have new rattle and noises in the room that I never had before that I need to find the rattle and quiet down because they are loud with the added db to up upper level bandwidth. I had them crossed at 120hz Friday to see how they sound vs what I normally have them set to. To your questions my B&C subs are set to 14-80 hz. and the Titan's are from 80-20,000 hz. I feel these are tighter than my old nearfield setup where I had 8-12's behind my seats. The B&C subs changed the game for me big time just like when I first put my subs behind my seat for nearfield bass.
I have no regrets buying the B&C 21's and would do it again to bad I couldn't swing the 21 Ipals.
murphy2112 and JCJetta like this.

Last edited by eng-399; 04-10-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
The dome/ribbon tweeter kits for full range and 2.1 listening come later this year.
I'd really like a version of the Titan with a
tweeter and not a CD driver. I understand that is a difficult task, but still....
Old 04-10-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 1824
I don't think there's any dome tweeter that has a high enough sensitivity to be used in the Titan.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
It's the room.

Building a 9.3.4 HT: DIYSG Titan LX [LCR] • Cinema 10 Max [6 Surrounds] • Beta 10CX custom [TF+TR] • LLT Mal-x 18" subs [2] • XPR-5 • MM8003 [8ch] • XMC-1 [RMC-1 wanted] • PT AT6000E • 130" Seymour Center XD • Oppo 103EU • WTB: 1 extra Mal-x 18" SW
Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6171 Post(s)
Liked: 3979
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
It's a great point that Mike made here. In the past I've always tried to find the perfect balance between music only speakers and cinema speakers for my theater room. The Clearwave Dynamics and Statements do both very well, but I've always thought waveguides are better for cinema only setups. I'm going for 95% cinema speakers with my next build and I'll have a second pure music system with dedicated 2-channel speakers. So the Titans (for me) won't need to produce any music besides movie soundtracks and the occasional concert, which I'm sure they will do with ease.

However, if @Erich H wouldn't mind giving some hints about a possible ribbon setup. I'm in no hurry to buy but would be very interested as I had been thinking about designing a theater setup with a Beyma horn loaded ribbon tweeter and some high-efficiency midrange/woofers.

PS. Sorry for the slight hijack away from the amazing build documented here!! I'm jealous @fudgemik was able to hear these before I was.
That should get you what you are looking for. Speakers that can do 2-channel and HT both, very well.
eng-399 likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Old 04-10-2017, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I don't think there's any dome tweeter that has a high enough sensitivity to be used in the Titan.
Yeah, I agree with you, and if that thing exists, I do not know about it.
But what would happen if we go the active route with the Titan and adjust the relative sensitivities from the active crossovers to match the tweeter sensitivity? Of course it would be a different project-speaker-variation: Titan HIFI?
Old 04-10-2017, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
@mtg90 what did you think about the subs on Friday when we played a ton of demo clips through them with the Titan's backing them.
I cross the subs at 80 so far because that's were my rew graph looks the best when intergrading with my mains. (Titan's)
The B&C subs are really sensitive and I think what I was hearing before might of been some distortion. These are very sensitive subs and with certain material I'm use to hearing I now hear more. I feel these subs pick up some type of material that's in the movie my old subs didn't pick up. Ask Matt G about that. I have new rattle and noises in the room that I never had before that I need to find the rattle and quiet down because they are loud with the added db to up upper level bandwidth. I had them crossed at 120hz Friday to see how they sound vs what I normally have them set to. To your questions my B&C subs are set to 14-80 hz. and the Titan's are from 80-20,000 hz. I feel these are tighter than my old nearfield setup where I had 8-12's behind my seats. The B&C subs changed the game for me big time just like when I first put my subs behind my seat for nearfield bass.
I have no regrets buying the B&C 21's and would do it again to bad I couldn't swing the 21 Ipals.
Mike only has two of the B&C 21's running right now but even so when compared with the old setup of 4 HT-18's the improvement in tactile feel and definition is very apparent. We did find afterwards the EQ on the left sub was messed up and so it was down a few dB vs. the other I bet if we ran through the same clips after fixing that and readjusting EQ it would have been even better. I bet things will only continue to improve when all four subs are up and running.
JCJetta likes this.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 34
What is the difference between the Narrow speakers and wide speakers? Also my seats are on the floor and so are my speakers would I need to change the angle to point down with these speakers.
Allen
Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Narrow vs. wide is just that, The wider one was designed for people who have plenty of width in their space but not much depth (say behind their screen wall). The wider cabinet is for people who have plenty of depth but not as much room width wise.

Ideally you want the speaker to be positioned so that ear level ends up between the midrange and the HF driver. So for the Titan-615 that equates to ear level between 36-44". If when seated your ear level is higher then 44" or you have two or more rows of seating it may be best to elevate the speakers slightly.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks just one row really
Allen
Old 04-19-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So jealous of your room...
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Helmsman View Post
So jealous of your room...
Get your post count up yet? Lol. Looking at getting the Titans?
Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Get your post count up yet? Lol. Looking at getting the Titans?
Haha, yeah, needed to get to 15

I was considering the titans, but ended up going with the 1099s. I'll start a build thread on them at some point.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Nice!

Not sure what is up with the graph on DIY Soundgroups site - that graph would keep me from purchasing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Below 150hz is nearfield woofer response, the response above that is an average of about 10 on axis measurement taken between 1-4 meters, 1/24th octave smoothing. Speaker was sitting in the middle of the floor about 8' from the closest wall. Laptop + DAC + Behringer A500 amp so no EQ or room correction.

I can't imagine why anyone would find that anything but an outstanding FR at 1/24th. Designers kill for that kind of result at that resolution. There is no way that our hearing can resolve such minor variations at such narrow bandwidth. It might show a designer where he needs to tweak a bit, but 1/6th octave is about the closest resolution comparison that is meaningful to our actual perception. When we see a bunch of departures from "flat" at 1/24th that cumulatively make a broader hump across an octave or two, then it is time to correct them so that they don't create a coloration that can be heard easily. There is nothing here that would do that. Given it's not really in an anechoic measurement, it's even more impressive.

I think this Titan is probably an awesome speaker for rooms with throws over 15' and high volume (cubic feet)! If my room would support, I'd go with them in a heartbeat. In fact, I hope I find a buddy who wants them that I can help him build.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 412
@mtg ...Matt, I love the look and apparent performance of the new Titans. I love my HTM-12s, but would try the Titans if I could also accommodate one for the center.

The way I see a comparison of the HTM-12 and the Titan is that they are nominal in different size rooms. The Titan is clearly going to be the better choice for a large volume room with a longer throw. But...if crossing the HTM-12 at 80Hz with subs, are we not capable of essentially the same performance...except for a modestly lower output capability?
kibe29 likes this.
Old Today, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
The way I see a comparison of the HTM-12 and the Titan is that they are nominal in different size rooms. The Titan is clearly going to be the better choice for a large volume room with a longer throw. But...if crossing the HTM-12 at 80Hz with subs, are we not capable of essentially the same performance...except for a modestly lower output capability?
I would love to hear someone's opinion on this.

I was close to pulling the trigger on HTM-12s for LCR, but would like a speaker that can reach down to mid-bass for listening to music without a sub (I want that "punch", but current Ascend CMT-340s do NOT do this). That got me thinking about the Maximus and Titan, however I'm usually going to keep the volume below reference levels.

Last edited by bochoss; Today at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement