AVS Forum banner

DIYSG Titan-615 Build

96K views 430 replies 91 participants last post by  chadsmith013 
#1 ·
Here we go guys my kits are on there way and I'll start building my new LCR this week. I already have some MDF but will grab some more and get these going. I was going to build these with Baltic Birch but I keep going back to MDF because of how easy it is for me to buy and cost of course. I'm playing around with the size of the cabinets to see what fits best in my room. I need to get my sub boxes out and see what will be best. I'll post pictures of the kit as soon as I get them but they are on there way.

I heard one of the Titan's for 20-30 mins at Matt's and was blow away by the sound. It's going to be nice to finally get my first setup out and get these in.

#5 ·
After talking with Matt some more I'm gonna do mine with the narrow baffle but almost 25" deep. Should net closer to 6cuft after bracing. Dropping tuning to closer to 30hz. Gonna make for good full range 2 channel.
I was also thinking about mounting the crossovers to the top of the cabinet just behind the waveguide. Trying to show it off a bit. LOL..
Doing my cutting Sunday, was gonna head out to waterboy's place tonight but the Calgary drivers turn into retards when a little bit of snow hits the ground..stayed home and am 2 movies into my fast and furious marathon...

#7 ·
After talking with Matt some more I'm gonna do mine with the narrow baffle but almost 25" deep. Should net closer to 6cuft after bracing. Dropping tuning to closer to 30hz. Gonna make for good full range 2 channel.

I was also thinking about mounting the crossovers to the top of the cabinet just behind the waveguide. Trying to show it off a bit. LOL..

Doing my cutting Sunday, was gonna head out to waterboy's place tonight but the Calgary drivers turn into retards when a little bit of snow hits the ground..stayed home and am 2 movies into my fast and furious marathon...

Nice 6 cubic ft[emoji3]. That's going to be a nice two channel setup at 30hz and still work for the ht setup to at the same time. I haven't decided on the size yet in a few minutes I'm going to head down after buying some tape to see what will fit with all the subs next them. Hopefully something around the size your talking about will fit. I'm looking forward to your build thread to.

#12 ·
Okay guys...talk me into going with these instead of the Yorkville U15 Unitys that I have planned (and already purchased) for the theater room (in my sig below).

I've known Erich for quite a while...before DIYSG was even a thing...and have wanted to support the endeavor. Problem is I have WAY too many speakers... :)

One of my concerns with the single 15" Unitys was having enough midbass. Other details of the HT installation include a full 20' wide baffle wall and 20 18" subs (IB) sprinkled in a 30' x 20' room with tall ceilings...12 FI's in the baffle wall and 8 SI's in the back (could end up going sealed with those).

I do like the sound of the Unitys...how much more will I like these? :)

I have $425 per box invested in my 5 Unitys...doesn't really matter; was planning on using a pair in the garage anyway.

#9 · (Edited)
My new Titan-615 kit will have the wave guides cd part centered between my first and second row ear height. I was just looking for everything I wrote down with the height but I think my kids grabbed it so I'm going to have to search the house for it.

Here's my room drawing

My screen is a Falcon Horizon 16.9 120" 4K acoustically transparent screen. I have around 30.5 inches behind the screen to play with. Here's some pics of the room.

A another reason why I chose these is because of the my room size and the subs I have and will have in there. I just sold my 4-18's (stereo integrity) and will replace them with 6-18's slot ported if I can fit 6 back there. For nearfield I have 6-15's and were b-stock legacy extreme xd drivers that a few of us bought while they lasted.

I'll be running the Titans off of my Marantz SR7010 avr with my Emotiva 7 channel amp providing the power to them.

#11 ·
I can't wait to see these to hopefully yours are on there way to. My thoughts are having an eggshell black finish and make it seamless. It's a shame the screen will be in front of them and no one will see them but the sound will be worth it.

I would love to do a nice exotic veneer but with them hidden just like your room it's almost a waste of money. Duratex was another paint I was thinking on using... I don't know yet but there definitely going to be black. Also I learned that when painting with a gloss finish if your seams aren't perfectly butterflied/smoothed out you see all your imperfections. I learned that the hard way and changed the way I put drywall mud on the box and sanded it down. I think I'm going to try bondo this time around on them.

#16 ·
You guys are going to love these I have cdy2179's qsc 2150s and love how they sound and there not even in the theater yet and are running with no eq'ing. Jk 7.2 when he gets his set of Titans is going to meet up so we can do a blind test between the 2.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Subscribed! Nice room BTW.

I will be waiting for the April supply to order mine.

Reactions: eng-399
#31 ·
I just wanted to add that once you get the waveguide in your hands it's big and really impressive I can't wait to finish this up. Hope everyone likes the pics if there anything else that someone wants to see let me know.
Mike

#34 ·
@eng-399 did you get a baffle? Or waveguide bracket?

#35 ·
No I'm building both of them my self. I still need to open the other two boxes and make sure the speaker terminals are in there to. I ran out of time before I had to leave today. I'm pretty much going to copy what Erich posted for the waveguide or do what something like @Samps posted in the other thread with these and build the waveguide into the box. I like the looks of one big cabinet with the waveguide built in my only problem is how do I make the waveguide recessed into the wood? I have a router but what router it do you buy and how do you route the corners that need to be wider is this a job for a CNC machine?

#36 ·
How wide is the flange on the wg? You could use a rabbet bit. Or build a second thinner baffle that is just cut all the way through. Or very carefully with LOTS of tape free hand it with a double flute straight bit..
Or wait for better ideas from the guru's..

I just wanted to know the measurements of ports and woofer hole in relation to edges of the baffle..

#37 ·
How wide is the flange on the wg? You could use a rabbet bit. Or build a second thinner baffle that is just cut all the way through. Or very carefully with LOTS of tape free hand it with a double flute straight bit..

Or wait for better ideas from the guru's..

I just wanted to know the measurements of ports and woofer hole in relation to edges of the baffle..

I'm not sure the width for the flange on the waveguide I'm not at home right now but I'll look tonight and measure.

I'll find out the size for ya for the ports and let you know.

#38 ·
You can clamp a guidance at one side at the time. I suggest doing the routering first before you cut the baffle to size. This way you have more support for your router. And less work when you mess one up. You have to push "against" the direction, otherwise the router tends to be pulled in and you risk going to far in the corner.

Succes!

#41 ·
Wrong!

It's not because we tend to crave for humongous boxes we shouldn't do them with finesse. :cool:

#40 ·
It's all good.. That's just why I asked if you had a baffle.

Reactions: Gouie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.