Please help with selecting the appropriate DIYSG front 3 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
i posted a build thread in the DIY section....so far they have exceeded my expectations..the Fusion 10's sound amazing.
Truth. The fusion 10s surprised the hell out of me. We always hear about the big boys at DIYSG, like the 1099 or F15, but as long as you have a strong LFE system to pair the Fusion 10s with they WILL put a smile on your face consistently.

The only real problem with them, however, is that you WILL want to crank them up--even when you shouldn't. In a vast majority of rooms your eardrums will tap out before the speakers will, but that won't stop you from wanting to see just what they are capable of.

Robo, as someone who came from klipsch and moved the the F10's, I'll describe it the best I can for you. It's more laid back presentation on the highs, where the klipsch almost seems to throw glass at you (a big part of the reason so many people complain about them being overly bright or harsh), the F10 is a lot more laid back and neutral. Also, certain frequencies on the klipsch sounded artificial and tinny...this doesn't happen on the F10.

In terms of soundstage, there's really no comparison. The Fusion 10 LCR makes my room sound far larger than it is. Ambient music in movies fill the room, even when they aren't playing back from the surround speakers. These speakers disappear in the room when set up properly.

Finally, the center... The difference here is monumental, even if part of that is because it's 3 identical speakers vs two towers and a horizontal center, but low volume chatter in movies is far more understandable than it was with the klipsch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
Truth. The fusion 10s surprised the hell out of me. We always hear about the big boys at DIYSG, like the 1099 or F15, but as long as you have a strong LFE system to pair the Fusion 10s with they WILL put a smile on your face consistently.

The only real problem with them, however, is that you WILL want to crank them up--even when you shouldn't. In a vast majority of rooms your eardrums will tap out before the speakers will, but that won't stop you from wanting to see just what they are capable of.

Robo, as someone who came from klipsch and moved the the F10's, I'll describe it the best I can for you. It's more laid back presentation on the highs, where the klipsch almost seems to throw glass at you (a big part of the reason so many people complain about them being overly bright or harsh), the F10 is a lot more laid back and neutral. Also, certain frequencies on the klipsch sounded artificial and tinny...this doesn't happen on the F10.

In terms of soundstage, there's really no comparison. The Fusion 10 LCR makes my room sound far larger than it is. Ambient music in movies fill the room, even when they aren't playing back from the surround speakers. These speakers disappear in the room when set up properly.

Finally, the center... The difference here is monumental, even if part of that is because it's 3 identical speakers vs two towers and a horizontal center, but low volume chatter in movies is far more understandable than it was with the klipsch.
i absolutely agree with everything you said...they are awesome...I was playing with Superman/Batman the other night and just wanted to see what they could do...after my wife and daughter ran out of the room...i got it up pretty loud..it was an actual uncomfortable loud...no hint of strain or distortion either...i tapped out before these speakers did.

Receiver : Denon x2300
Front Stage : 3 DIYSG Fusion 10's
Surround Speakers :2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers : Dual Dayton HO 18's in sealed cabs
post #33 of 37 Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
i absolutely agree with everything you said...they are awesome...I was playing with Superman/Batman the other night and just wanted to see what they could do...after my wife and daughter ran out of the room...i got it up pretty loud..it was an actual uncomfortable loud...no hint of strain or distortion either...i tapped out before these speakers did.
Yep, as long as a solid LFE set up is in place, I really don't see anyone being unhappy with these unless their room is MASSIVE. With my UM18s handling the low end, I can't find anything to complain about. Even my wife can't find anything to complain about (after all, these are actually very reasonably sized speakers.).

Only reason I can come up with on why these aren't more common is people assume they need the bigger models, or they just want the bigger model.
chadsmith013 likes this.

post #34 of 37 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAVS View Post
Thank you for that, it's great to hear.

I know there are so many choices, the HTM, the Cinemas, the Fusions, I know they are all built for specific purposes but being honest, I don't know enough to understand the subtle differences between the designs.

I'm hoping someone, even if not talking about my situation, can explain a bit about when to use the different options. On the DIYSG site, they give a short description of them but it's not enough to differentiate (at least for me).
It's not like I "have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals," but I've built the 88 Special, HTM-12, and Volt-10LX. They are work together as a "DIYSG room" now. I write about each somewhat extensively in my build thread updates. Easy to find with a search of the DIY forum. I hope there is something helpful there for you.

You have quite a short throw to the MLP. If you have more than one seat, coverage for any LCRs is going to be a challenge. That's almost mixing console near field in scale. You certainly don't need to go "big" to sound big.
post #35 of 37 Old Today, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have purchased a set of the HTM12s for my build

I will likely move the TV back to the wall (wall mounted on articulating mount, moved out I think it must by 18 inches from the wall). It has been amazing having it out, as the TV seems so much bigger in your face.

With the coming HTM12s, I will likely move it back to the wall, and try the 12s mounted just in front of the front wall acoustic panels. That will make it about 10 feet or so to the MLP which is close but OK imo.

I have 3 seats that I use now, and the Klipsch are doing a great job. I'm purchasing the 12s not just for this room now but for future use by me or whomever may buy them eventually. I figure having more capability can't be bad.

Thanks a bunch to everyone who contributed, I will likely have a build thread or perhaps just continue this one, since it asks the very question many people have when it comes to mains.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #36 of 37 Old Today, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Chasing better sound thru speaker upgrades is only part of the solution .... you are aware the speaker-room interaction is just as important?

What is your current acoustic treatment strategy?
Upgrading that also? Taking in-room measurements and data driven action?
No doubt the room is the key. I've spent hours/days measuring, moving and then treating the room as best as I could. Bass is near perfect right now. Klipsch mains are just fine imo too, but I am curious what will come with the HTMs. So many have tried these or the Fusions and have been hugely surprised at the upgrade. That's where I'm coming from, and a desire to see what a true LCR can do.
post #37 of 37 Old Today, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAVS View Post
No doubt the room is the key. I've spent hours/days measuring, moving and then treating the room as best as I could. Bass is near perfect right now. Klipsch mains are just fine imo too, but I am curious what will come with the HTMs. So many have tried these or the Fusions and have been hugely surprised at the upgrade. That's where I'm coming from, and a desire to see what a true LCR can do.
The switch from the klipsch center to a center that is identical to your L/R is a huge difference.
chadsmith013 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs