Please help with selecting the appropriate DIYSG front 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 02-05-2017, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Please help with selecting the appropriate DIYSG front 3

Hello to all, I have built a few subs now from DIYSG, the 15" ported and love them. I have a very nice theater in my basement consisting of Klipsch.

Klipsch RF52ii, Klispch RC52ii, Klipsch RS52s and Klipsch RB51s along with 2 15" Martycubes and 2 18" Johnnysize Martys with Ultimaxes. The room is treated, the MLP is about 8.5feet away.

Side surrounds are a 6-7 feet away on the sides, the rear surrounds are a good 8 feet back. Room is treated, L-shaped.

Bass is terrific, the entire theater sounds very good. I would like to upgrade my center, and as I do so suppose I also will upgrade the fronts. My goal is even more clarity especially from the center. I could just redo the center, but am open to all 3 as I know that is likely better.

I have about 20" under the 60" plasma screen I am using. Left and right I can fit anything I want. I plan for now to keep the surrounds but may change those over time also, I like them just fine currently.

I don't have SPL issues. I have more than I need but would like to know and see if different fronts will make a difference. Can I get better dialog? Currently running this system through a Denon 3808ci with Audyssey XT. Subs are driven by INUKES.

All advice is welcome. I've reviewed the DIYSG site extensively and am familiar after reading about each and have looked at some build threads, but cannot for the life of me understand exactly how each of the various designs applies in a given situation. If there is a guide I missed about the offerings I apologize and welcome being pointed to it.

Cinema 8s? Fusion 8? Special 88s? I am open to suggestions and can build any of them, would likely just get some crossover help.

90% HT, 10% music.

Thank you in advance -- RoboAVS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-05-2017, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 27
i switched from klipsch reference to the 1099s and couldnt believe how much better the center dialog was. 1099s are more than most need but i love them
post #3 of 37 Old 02-06-2017, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for that, it's great to hear.

I know there are so many choices, the HTM, the Cinemas, the Fusions, I know they are all built for specific purposes but being honest, I don't know enough to understand the subtle differences between the designs.

I'm hoping someone, even if not talking about my situation, can explain a bit about when to use the different options. On the DIYSG site, they give a short description of them but it's not enough to differentiate (at least for me).

post #4 of 37 Old 02-06-2017, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboAVS View Post
Thank you for that, it's great to hear.

I know there are so many choices, the HTM, the Cinemas, the Fusions, I know they are all built for specific purposes but being honest, I don't know enough to understand the subtle differences between the designs.

I'm hoping someone, even if not talking about my situation, can explain a bit about when to use the different options. On the DIYSG site, they give a short description of them but it's not enough to differentiate (at least for me).
@Erich H is the proprietor of DIYSG and is active on this forum. You can try to reach out to him on here or email through the DIYSG website for a recommendation.

I love my 1099s in a 20'x20' square shaped room.
post #5 of 37 Old 02-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I am going to have to follow this one. I am in a well not similar situation lol. I have a basic 5.2 setup I literally just installed 2 weeks ago, Denon x2300 AVR and a cheapish Dayton Audio 5.1 surround sound set up. I have been looking for some new towers, for much later purchase maybe around the end of the year, and I have looked at various makes and models, HTD, Klipsch, Polk etc for something in a floor standing tower in about the $300 to $400/each range. But I may be looking into a DIY angle since I can get more bang for my buck, not that I need a LOT of bang nothing larger than say a 8" woofer in a tower since I have 2 powered 12" subs which give me plenty of bass already. But the only thing I don't know is if I can get the "same" quality sound out of a DIY pair than I could would something from a major manufacturer. There is also the problem that I would need someone to build them I am neither gifted enough nor do I have the tools to build myself, which really means I wouldn't be DIYing in the first place lol. Either way I am curious as to what happens here.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-06-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbclamper View Post
i switched from klipsch reference to the 1099s and couldnt believe how much better the center dialog was. 1099s are more than most need but i love them
I second this choice.. I moved from Klipsch RF7ii and RC64 (Both Highly Recommended) to a full front of 1099 speakers Man-o-Man.. The clarity and dynamics are great. Great Design.. To me, sounds better than the Klipsch RF. Since you have 20 inches under your screen, I'd go that route.. But I haven't experienced many DIYSG speakers but these and so far, Im sold.. I still have the RS62ii s surrounds and looking to get a full set of Volt 8's or 10's .

DIY Is the way to go. Hope this helps..

If you KRANK it.. They will Listen..
post #7 of 37 Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonzo07 View Post
I second this choice.. I moved from Klipsch RF7ii and RC64 (Both Highly Recommended) to a full front of 1099 speakers Man-o-Man.. The clarity and dynamics are great. Great Design.. To me, sounds better than the Klipsch RF. Since you have 20 inches under your screen, I'd go that route.. But I haven't experienced many DIYSG speakers but these and so far, Im sold.. I still have the RS62ii s surrounds and looking to get a full set of Volt 8's or 10's .

DIY Is the way to go. Hope this helps..
Thanks for the comments. I actually have 27" under the screen, I was mistaken when I measured. I could fit all the way up to Fusion 12s across the LCR.
post #8 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 291
There's a guy in near you in the classifieds selling a set of Fusion 8 alchemy towers and the center for ~$800. Those will handle the job quite nicely for you.

[Feeler] Fusion 8 Alchemy Towers and Center
post #9 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
There's a guy in near you in the classifieds selling a set of Fusion 8 alchemy towers and the center for ~$800. Those will handle the job quite nicely for you.

Thanks for the info but I am ummm about 14 hours from Illinois lol. I might have to check the forums though. I am not really in the market right now but will be later this year. I am still paying off my TV, AVR and laptop lol
post #10 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I actually have 27" under the screen, I was mistaken when I measured. I could fit all the way up to Fusion 12s across the LCR.
Ive recently ordered 3 Fusion 10's and 2 Volt 6's. I will post a build thread shortly. I am in the process of glueing them all together and sanding them now. Hope to have them fully running by the end of the weekend...will let you know the results. I am replacing some basic BIC America speakers.
post #11 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Thanks for the info but I am ummm about 14 hours from Illinois lol. I might have to check the forums though. I am not really in the market right now but will be later this year. I am still paying off my TV, AVR and laptop lol
The original poster is in Chicago...
post #12 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The original poster is in Chicago...
OOOOHHHH I went a little derp there for a minute LOL.
RoboAVS likes this.
post #13 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

STL D I saw those, thank you. They look very nice, but they look too much like Klipsch. I love my Klipsch, but want to try something different in the main theater.
post #14 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
Ive recently ordered 3 Fusion 10's and 2 Volt 6's. I will post a build thread shortly. I am in the process of glueing them all together and sanding them now. Hope to have them fully running by the end of the weekend...will let you know the results. I am replacing some basic BIC America speakers.
Can't wait to hear about it! I will subscribe.
I may be following behind closely with my own set, the 10's do seem a sweet spot of performance and cost.
post #15 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OOOOHHHH I went a little derp there for a minute LOL.
post #16 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

STL D owes me a detailed review also
STL D likes this.
post #17 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah I am tempted to buy up a couple of the 893's or a pair of the 1099's but I think they will be a bit to wide to fit between my tv stand and where my front door opens. Unfortunately I don't have the option to slide my tv further away from the door as I already have a sub and speaker over there are well. Eh either way it will be late this year before I think about spending that kind of money.
post #18 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thank you for starting this thread. I'm interested in the feedback you get. I'm currently rocking Klipsch Reference speakers too and have been on the lookout for DIY speakers to upgrade to. The 893 and 1099 at the top of my list right now. I've seen EricH mention more designs coming out, so I've been patiently waiting.

I'm currently using Klipsch RF-82s, RC-64, and RB-3s. Hearing Phonzo07 say that he likes the 1099 more than his RF-7ii is very encouraging.
post #19 of 37 Old 02-07-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked: 3033
Something to consider is HTM-10'a or the HTM-12's then any of the fusion line. If your going the diysg route. The 88 specials are nice with that big seos waveguide those were impressive when I heard them and can fit in a small area. I haven't heard the Cinema 8's but I'm sure there nice. What's your budget again for all these.
Gouie likes this.
post #20 of 37 Old 02-08-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thucker View Post
Thank you for starting this thread. I'm interested in the feedback you get. I'm currently rocking Klipsch Reference speakers too and have been on the lookout for DIY speakers to upgrade to. The 893 and 1099 at the top of my list right now. I've seen EricH mention more designs coming out, so I've been patiently waiting.

I'm currently using Klipsch RF-82s, RC-64, and RB-3s. Hearing Phonzo07 say that he likes the 1099 more than his RF-7ii is very encouraging.
I can tell you that for Home theater with the Subwoofer, 1099's sound fuller and go louder and clearer. For 2 Channel Music without a Subwoofer, the RF7II has a bit better bass and thats it. But not clarity. 1099 clarity and dynamics are great. But there is no comparison between rc64ii and 1099. 1099 hands down if you can fit it. I'm pretty sure the 893 may even best the RC64 in dynamics and clarity. Keep in mind, I'm sure different rooms have different effects. I'm sure you can't go wring with either.

Hope this helps..

post #21 of 37 Old 02-08-2017, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can tell you that for Home theater with the Subwoofer, 1099's sound fuller and go louder and clearer. For 2 Channel Music without a Subwoofer, the RF7II has a bit better bass and thats it. But not clarity. 1099 clarity and dynamics are great. But there is no comparison between rc64ii and 1099. 1099 hands down if you can fit it. I'm pretty sure the 893 may even best the RC64 in dynamics and clarity. Keep in mind, I'm sure different rooms have different effects. I'm sure you can't go wring with either.

Hope this helps..
I think its crazy that a DIY speaker is out performing a speaker that costs almost 3 times the price. But that is also why I am kind of looking at them if i can find the room lol
post #22 of 37 Old 02-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thank you Phonzo07. The Klipsch setup was my first real home theater setup. I am covered in the bass department. I have two 18s and two 15s in the room already. Your input is very helpful.
post #23 of 37 Old 02-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 361
I'm going from a Paradigm setup to the HTM-12s from DIYSG. I'm just finishing up the speakers, so I can't tell you how they sound yet, but I'm definitely expecting an improvement.
post #24 of 37 Old 02-08-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I think its crazy that a DIY speaker is out performing a speaker that costs almost 3 times the price. But that is also why I am kind of looking at them if i can find the room lol

Yes, It was an eye opener to me. Plus you get the satisfaction of building your own.. Well mostly your own. I took out th3 10 inch driver from the Klipsch RF7II, and compared it to the 10 inch in the 1099.. It just feels like Quality. Klipsch gets points on the finish and convenience. Thats it.

Glad I could help Thucker..

post #25 of 37 Old 02-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, It was an eye opener to me. Plus you get the satisfaction of building your own.. Well mostly your own. I took out th3 10 inch driver from the Klipsch RF7II, and compared it to the 10 inch in the 1099.. It just feels like Quality. Klipsch gets points on the finish and convenience. Thats it.

Glad I could help Thucker..
I am still waiting and trying to decide it I go the 1099 route or the 893's, don't know if I would have the room for the 1099's either way the point is moot right now since the earliest I would be doing anything would be towards the end of the year.
post #26 of 37 Old 02-09-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Guys I have had a few back and forth messages with Erich who runs the DIYSG.

After a lot of searching around, what I discovered is that the FORUM that is part of his site, the diysoundgroup.com, has exactly what you guys want (and me too). It has threads for most of the lines of speakers and even has an FAQ and some measurements for some.

The gist is this -- the lines of speakers were designed with different budgets and purposes in mind.
> For the most part it seemed, the Fusion line is a value-line of speakers.
> The same speakers can be gotten from the Home Theater line, but with better quality components.
> The suggestion from the designer seemed to be this -- if you have the capability push the speakers to their RMS limit -- a really powerful amp, or a pro amp, then the HTMs will make sense. They create higher output. Otherwise, get the Fusions.
> The Cinema series was created (as the site itself mentions) for those that want to build something but may need a horizontal center.
> The new Titan series is just in a different world so if you're on your first build, unless you have a serious reason to build them, one of the others will almost for sure be a better starting point.

So hopefully that helps. My direction is towards the Fusion line after a great deal of consideration.

Please remember -- there is a forum over there at DIYSG. Erich is probably hesitant to say this here on AVS because this has it's own set of forums and there are already 100 different threads about builds. BUT -- there really as far as I know, is not a thread here attempting to help encapsulate what the lines are for, so if this thread can serve as that, please feel free to keep discussing. I can even delete most of the first post with my info if you want to turn this into a discussion thread.
nlpearman likes this.
post #27 of 37 Old 02-14-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can't wait to hear about it! I will subscribe.
I may be following behind closely with my own set, the 10's do seem a sweet spot of performance and cost.
i posted a build thread in the DIY section....so far they have exceeded my expectations..the Fusion 10's sound amazing.

Receiver : Denon x2300
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG Fusion 10's
Surround Speakers :2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Atmos Speakers: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers : Dual Dayton HO 18's in sealed cabs w/Inuke 6000 DSP
post #28 of 37 Old 02-17-2017, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
i posted a build thread in the DIY section....so far they have exceeded my expectations..the Fusion 10's sound amazing.
Chadsmith013 I saw the thread! Amazing work, and great to hear that they have been great! Thanks for taking a minute to talk about your experience and mention the build...I enjoyed reading it.
post #29 of 37 Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

thanks man...I appreciate that...im glad it all worked out..my lack of skills had me worried. I cant ever imagine needing anything louder then what these will get..

Receiver : Denon x2300
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG Fusion 10's
Surround Speakers :2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Atmos Speakers: 2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers : Dual Dayton HO 18's in sealed cabs w/Inuke 6000 DSP
post #30 of 37 Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Chasing better sound thru speaker upgrades is only part of the solution .... you are aware the speaker-room interaction is just as important?

What is your current acoustic treatment strategy?
Upgrading that also? Taking in-room measurements and data driven action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page