• 1 Post By eng-399
  • 1 Post By Raylon

post #1 of 18 Old 02-06-2017, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Talking Couch Kicker v2 Build Thread

So I started a thread earlier about wanting to build a new nearfield box for my sectional. The wife was tired of seeing the large Full Marty sticking out behind the couch so back to the drawing board it went. After much deliberation I decided to keep things simple I went with 4 Stereo Integrity HT18 D2's I sourced locally for pretty cheap. I thought about doing 8 15's but price started to become an issue. See initial discussion thread here:

Couch Kicker Extreme - 8 15" Nearfield Subs

So, this will be the build thread for my 2 massive sealed boxes that turned out to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 150lbs a piece. They are 62"W x 28"H x 14.5" D. Let us begin:

First of all, here is the space. You can see the empty space behind the couch. The Full Marty in the back stuck up almost as high as the middle of the rear surround speakers, and being Duratex black, it stuck out like a sore thumb. I will miss it but I will also enjoy not seeing anything. I will enjoy throwing in a few test clips and watching the reaction of my guests when they get kicked in the back with 4x18's.

And here is my current nearfield box(still for sale at this writing). 4x12's. They had some great kick but need more. Also I was getting an idea for how big the boxes could be while still being hidden. The new boxes will stretch from the mockup to the far wall.

Here are the 4 beauties.

Cuts of wood. It was a lot of wood. Used Max Cut to make it efficient. Still used 6 sheets of MDF. Wastage of 46% which is a lot. Had plenty of extra that I traded to @eng-399 for a small discount on the subs.

The build process begins

Baffles together with tires and spatre wood as weight. All clamps were already taken.

Starting to look like a box!

Baffle in. There will be more supports later. Going to use front to back peices near the sub itself. The box is skinny enough I don't think I am going to use any width-wise bracing, the box is only 14" deep.

One built. Pool table for size.

Little test fit action!

Routing done, still in rough shape but looking much nice. Bondo time next.

Adding extra wood for screws to grip into.

And that's been about a weeks worth of work. I think because the boxes are hidden I will put minimal effort into making them look fantastic. Just good is going to work. The finish will be white paint so I will be able to do touchup work easy, no Duratex this time. Will update this again soon.
krholmberg, ORIF and eng-399 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-06-2017, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Painting and more painting. Two coats in all. Not the best job but it works.

Got the boxes inside, put some tiny rubber feet on them, and started the wiring process.

What a beauty. These boxes are heavy. About 250lbs I would guess.

My TV and LCR for size comparison of one box!

Dog for size comparison!

And finally, here it is! See it? Nope! And that was the goal!

Oh wait if I get close I see something poking it's head out...

Ahh there it is. 4 18's all lined up in a row, and that miniature looking 6000 vertically mounted powering them.

So in all, I really love this project. The boxes are (mostly) hidden, they sound fantastic, they look decent, and most importantly of all, the wife is happy. Thanks to all those who went through multiple iterations of plans and designs trying to nail down what is best. The sealed 18's sound great, couldn't ask for any better nearfield subs. Will be enjoying these for a long time.
ORIF, filtor1, OJ Bartley and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Raylon; 02-09-2017 at 10:32 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-06-2017, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 2170

post #4 of 18 Old 02-07-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Nice build....
post #5 of 18 Old 02-07-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Ironically enough I will be starting a very similar thread looking for thoughts on ported or sealed in a box that is a bit longer and taller than yours shortly.

I'm also wanting to go with 18's I just need to sell my wife on the required depth to get them to work right...

Thinking about 2 or UM18's if I can pull it off for the box but we will see. I'm also debating the PA480 as an option as well depending on how we can model the box....

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #6 of 18 Old 02-07-2017, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Ironically enough I will be starting a very similar thread looking for thoughts on ported or sealed in a box that is a bit longer and taller than yours shortly.

I'm also wanting to go with 18's I just need to sell my wife on the required depth to get them to work right...

Thinking about 2 or UM18's if I can pull it off for the box but we will see. I'm also debating the PA480 as an option as well depending on how we can model the box....
If you haven't yet, read the discussion thread on this build. The PA460s in a ported box pretty much will do better in the same size ported box as the 18s I have. I just lost motivation and wanted to go easy route and do sealed. I also wanted to upgrade to 2 iNuke6000s to power the 4 18s which in real world I think will outdo the ported 460s. Really comes down to what you want to do.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-07-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
If you haven't yet, read the discussion thread on this build. The PA460s in a ported box pretty much will do better in the same size ported box as the 18s I have. I just lost motivation and wanted to go easy route and do sealed. I also wanted to upgrade to 2 iNuke6000s to power the 4 18s which in real world I think will outdo the ported 460s. Really comes down to what you want to do.
I saw your post in my thread. I'd be fine with using the driver, my concerns are any adjustments I need to make to the port dimensions and filters to make sure it works right.

I'd ideally want to be able to try it with the 15hz and 20hz ports for giggles too. And I'm HORRIBLE with figuring out how to adjust that.

But I will look into it. I agree sealed is better, and the PA requires very little power, and with 2 it results in a 4 ohm load which makes it easier since I will run both of a channel of my amp and EQ them together too....

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #8 of 18 Old 02-09-2017, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well it took a grueling 10 days, working every single day on the boxes after work but the project is finished! And turned out rather well! The box itself is pretty darn rough, even after sanding, bondoing, and sanding some more, but, it's good enough for me. It is basically hidden so most of the defects will never be seen. See post #2 for the remaining build pictures, but here is the finished product!

post #9 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 81
And.........don't leave us hanging? How does it sound and "feel"?
post #10 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Painting and more painting. Two coats in all. Not the best job but it works.

Got the boxes inside, put some tiny rubber feet on them, and started the wiring process.

What a beauty. These boxes are heavy. About 250lbs I would guess.

My TV and LCR for size comparison of one box!

Dog for size comparison!

And finally, here it is! See it? Nope! And that was the goal!

Oh wait if I get close I see something poking it's head out...

Ahh there it is. 4 18's all lined up in a row, and that miniature looking 6000 vertically mounted powering them.

So in all, I really love this project. The boxes are (mostly) hidden, they sound fantastic, they look decent, and most importantly of all, the wife is happy. Thanks to all those who went through multiple iterations of plans and designs trying to nail down what is best. The sealed 18's sound great, couldn't ask for any better nearfield subs. Will be enjoying these for a long time.
Impressive! Now that is one power nearfield experience.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
And.........don't leave us hanging? How does it sound and "feel"?
Oh they feel spectacular. Nothing moves air quite like an 18. They are wired up at 8ohm and I even set a limiter of -2db which is something like 1200 peak so I know I am not even feeding them that much power. I watched John Wick and the club fight scenes are impressive. I am thinking about removing the limiter and really cranking them.
eng-399 likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Oh they feel spectacular. Nothing moves air quite like an 18. They are wired up at 8ohm and I even set a limiter of -2db which is something like 1200 peak so I know I am not even feeding them that much power. I watched John Wick and the club fight scenes are impressive. I am thinking about removing the limiter and really cranking them.
Nice I am glad they worked out for you. I like the white color too, looks good. Different than the usual black.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad you like your ht-18's the box looks great behind the couch and blends right in. Be careful with those subs if your not going to set the limiter I had mine set at 1,100 and they performed really well for me you don't want to bottom them out.
If you get a chance play 13 hours of Benghazi there's a lot of really cool explosions and gun shots that should make a your move.
Brazle likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-10-2017, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Glad you like your ht-18's the box looks great behind the couch and blends right in. Be careful with those subs if your not going to set the limiter I had mine set at 1,100 and they performed really well for me you don't want to bottom them out.
If you get a chance play 13 hours of Benghazi there's a lot of really cool explosions and gun shots that should make a your move.
I will check it out! Correct me if I am wrong but you had limiter at 1100 when you were using 2 iNuke6000's to power all 4, so one channel per sub? If that is true I am feeding them half the power because I have limiter at 1200 for the pair so I think I will be pretty safe. I played Bass I Love You and they didn't seem to be going too crazy. I have them set pretty far away from the couch till I know how much the cone moves.

Last edited by Raylon; 02-11-2017 at 02:24 AM.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-11-2017, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's right you have one amp for the four subs. I forgot about that. See how they move once the limiter is turned off You should be good driving two subs per channel without the limiter on.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-22-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
looks great

glad to see you got your near field subs back.

your old marty box finally has a friend joining it in the living room, putting on the last coat of duratex on my sealed um18 for near field.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-22-2017, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobra_commader View Post
looks great

glad to see you got your near field subs back.

your old marty box finally has a friend joining it in the living room, putting on the last coat of duratex on my sealed um18 for near field.
That's awesome glad you were able to make use of the box. Nearfield sealed Um18 will be awesome.
kobra_commader likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
still not loud enough. MOAR!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs