wiring options 2 ohm vs 4 ohm. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 5 Unread 02-08-2017, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
wiring options 2 ohm vs 4 ohm.

I picked up a Dayton UM15 in a 3CF sealed box with a iNuke3000. Man this is so much better then anything I've ever owned! I plan on pulling the driver out and paint the cab to match the rest of my speakers. When I do, I'll have the option of rewiring the speaker to dual 2 ohm, it's currently wired for 4 ohms. I've read I can even run it on a single coil at 2 Ohms. I'm expecting some time to build a 2nd one so running a single coil at 2 ohms give me plenty of power and the option to ad a 2nd sub easily. So the options are to keep it at 4 ohms and run it bridged at 3000 watts, run both coils at 2 ohms at 1500 watts or run a single coil at 2 ohms at 1500 watts and leave room for expansion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Unread 02-08-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 411 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
congratulations.

with your driver and amp combo (and plans to get a second driver in the near future), your best bet is to run it at 4 ohms on one channel of the amp.

the inuke 3000 should put out approx. 49 volts into 4 ohms and that will provide just over 600 watts at a nominal 4 ohms, but a little over 700 watts for your driver (since its dc resistance with dvc in series is around 3.4 ohms).
the technical explanation is a bit more involved, but essentially the driver's motor is comprised of the magnet and the coil(s). by using only one coil, the motor strength will be reduced in half.
that reduces the upper end efficiency of the driver and reduces the lower end damping.
the effects of all that can be seen in a comparo.
um15 wired using both coils (red) and with one coil only (blue), with an arbitrary 100 watts into each.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	single vs dual coil dvc.png
Views:	104
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1953473  

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 5 Unread Yesterday, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
congratulations.

with your driver and amp combo (and plans to get a second driver in the near future), your best bet is to run it at 4 ohms on one channel of the amp.

the inuke 3000 should put out approx. 49 volts into 4 ohms and that will provide just over 600 watts at a nominal 4 ohms, but a little over 700 watts for your driver (since its dc resistance with dvc in series is around 3.4 ohms).
the technical explanation is a bit more involved, but essentially the driver's motor is comprised of the magnet and the coil(s). by using only one coil, the motor strength will be reduced in half.
that reduces the upper end efficiency of the driver and reduces the lower end damping.
the effects of all that can be seen in a comparo.
um15 wired using both coils (red) and with one coil only (blue), with an arbitrary 100 watts into each.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but wanted some confirmation. Is that REW your using to generate the graph?

post #4 of 5 Unread Yesterday, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 470
You can add a second sub and run each on one channel at 4 ohm. Less power per sub than with the amp bridged, but you still have the option of upgrading amps in the future as well.
post #5 of 5 Unread Today, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 411 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by reburg99 View Post
Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but wanted some confirmation. Is that REW your using to generate the graph?

winisd.

if on windows 7: https://www.facebook.com/WinISD/posts/126113234166443

once accustomed to entering driver parameters, the software is simple to use.

there are several ways to do it, but this is what I typically do:

make sure all fields are clear, then
enter qes then hit tab, enter qms
hit tab a couple times and let it calculate qts
hit tab a few times to move to mms
enter mms, re, bl, le, sd, xmax, and pe
by using tab after entering each data, it will calculate what it needs to

sometimes the specs calculated don't match exactly the manufacturer specs, but its only rounding type errors, so it is not material

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs