AVS Forum banner

4 VBSS in 1 cabinets?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  steve71 
#1 · (Edited)
4 VBSS in 1 cabinet?

What would be the pros or cons of putting 4 PA 460 drivers in one cabinet to simulate the VBSS design?

Got the upgrade bug again and got the tape measure out. The EZ cut cabinet dimensions would be 24"x 25.5 x 88". Eighty eight inches is about as tall as I can build a cabinet in this space.

Am using my system to listen to music more than anything and output in the 40-300hz range is what I am chasing.

#2 ·
not saying it can't be done . . .
however

I put 2 drivers in 9.5 ft^3 tuned for ported MBM duty, using 1K from 1 channel of an inuke6K but used a LPF of 140, iirc thru my AVR.
the thing rips like nobody's business. more would not really be more
the minidsp2x4HD handles the HPF rolloff at 38 and steep. for a lot of legacy stereo, it can be too much, when playing along with the F15's, which got an xo of 80.
I let the Submaxiumus V3 ride along , just in case there is a tad more bottom to extract, some tunes are like that

I would want to know what type of mains you would expect to keep up with such a concoction.

for the money, maybe 2 VBSS as mbm duty, placed smartly in the room.
make the other 2 go for the low 15 Hz tune
you'll be full spectrum, minimal compromise and getting hooooge ROI.

Does REW show you are missing in the MBM area?

#3 · (Edited)
I designed a build for 2 boxes with a total of 6 PA460s, 3 in each box. After scrapping that idea and building a sealed box with 2 18's in it instead I think the big problem you are going to encounter is practicality. I would build 2 boxes, big enough for 2 of each. My 10cubic foot box with 2 SI HT18s in it weighs right around 300lbs. Sticking 4 of those in a cabinet that size would be pushing 350-400 lbs easy. Would be a lot better to build 2 into 2 cabinets. My boxes are 28" tall, 14" deep, and 62" wide. They are monsters. A challenge I ran into is having enough clamps to glue them and getting everything straight when the panels are 62" long. I can't imagine adding another 26" onto that to try and make nice and straight and pretty. You can see size of my box below, with living room for size.

But as far as technical reasons, not you can put as many as you want in as long as you get the port tuning right. Expect a large port that takes up a lot of volume in the box.

Attachments

#5 ·
That's a good point, trying to move an 88" cabinet around the house would be near impossible.
I can split the cabinets in half. 2 drivers per cabinet. Each cabinet 24x25.5x44.
I have about 4k in sub power to work with and a PA460 does a lot with 500 watts each.

Thought about building some horns but the a single fold horn would be at the upper limit of my cabinet making ability.

#6 ·
just a a note wrt horn building.
google up Lil Mikes F-20.
compared to such recent constructs as the Skhorn , and the magnificient Ghorn,
the F-20 build is a board benders delight of simplicity

but the VBSS is put forth as a ported cab , and is even simpler, not needing a sealed chamber.

2 twin cabs properly placed in the room, easy to manage and move (mine is on a harbor freight dolly) and
music happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.