Any shallow coax's with compression drivers less than 3" deep? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Any shallow coax's with compression drivers less than 3" deep?

I have a narrow dedicated room with Atmos and the side surrounds are a little over ear height when seated, so I can't have them sticking out into the room/aisle space too much as people could brush against them - they're to be mounted in shallow columns which are currently around 2" deep.

I can make the columns 3" deep but the shallowest CD coax I've seen is a 6" FaitalPro that is 3.4" deep, so was wondering if anyone knew of a CD coax that was less deep than that. I'll be using them for ceiling speakers too, and will ultimately need 10 of them, so cost is a factor too.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
I can make the columns 3" deep but the shallowest CD coax I've seen is a 6" FaitalPro that is 3.4" deep, so was wondering if anyone knew of a CD coax that was less deep than that. I'll be using them for ceiling speakers too, and will ultimately need 10 of them, so cost is a factor too.

Cheers
If that's the 6LX150, I have some of them and was going to mention them if you hadn't as they are by far the shallowest I've ever seen. I doubt you'll find anything shallower even a car speaker. Can't you make the columns 1/2" deeper? That's not going to be noticeable.
I haven't tested them extensively yet, but they appear to be pretty good so far.
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for your reply.

It was the 6LH150 I was looking at which sounds like a similar model.

Funny you should mention car speakers as that's what I am currently using (6.5" 44mm deep), and they work a lot better than I thought so that's why I'm using them for everything other than LCR - I bought a pair just to see, and when I tested them in an old (empty) Kef Cresta box they sounded just as good as some other coax Kefs I have, and they don't measure a great deal differently (in my room), so for £20 a pair they were a perfect solution for heights and surrounds.

The thing is, I prefer the sound of a good compression driver over dome tweeters or similar, hence my wanting to upgrade at some stage. My LCRs use a compression driver.

The FP 6LH150 are £128 each so a lot more money compared to my current solution. I had tried an Eminence 10CX 10" coax with A1001 CD and that worked a little better, but at around £130+ for the parts (inc crossover) wasn't a substantial upgrade. Plus it would encroach into the room too much.

I think I'll keep an eye out for the 6LX150 as well as the 6LH150 on ebay to see if they ever turn up at a more affordable price.

What were you using for a crossover, did you get an off the shelf item or design your own?

Cheers

Quote:

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
What were you using for a crossover, did you get an off the shelf item or design your own?
I've only played with them actively using a MD for xover duties; they are for no planned build.. They were a whim purchase when I purchased a quad of the 8LX200 which were to be the MF/HF of my surrounds. Are you a registered business? If so I believe you can set up an account and buy direct for much reduced prices which might be worth looking into if you are.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, righto.

I'll keep an eye out and may try one just to see, then decide if they are worth installing as replacements for the current surrounds and ceiling speakers. I'll still be looking into alternatives as well.

Cheers.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs