DIYSG Titan-615LX Build Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 138Likes

post #31 of 182 Old 02-18-2017, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
You could try a Rockler Silicone Project Mat (http://www.rockler.com/rockler-silicone-project-mat), it would be less likely to react with the painted surface than a rubber mat.
This is probably what I should've used in between my subs. They're pretty inexpensive too. Does anyone know if Duratex binds/adheres to Duratex? I've been somewhat concerned that when I go to move my two sub towers that they'll be stuck together. So whenever I have the screen down, I move them around just to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
or screw rubber feet to the box surface

https://www.parts-express.com/penn-e...31-h--260-7706.
These should work. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 182 Old 02-18-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 869
This material works great, stuff stays put when placed on it but it also does not stick to paint when left for prolonged periods or leave imprints in the finish. It's pretty much the same material that the bottom of mouse pads are made from.
https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W132...s=neoprene+mat
post #33 of 182 Old 02-18-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
This material works great, stuff stays put when placed on it but it also does not stick to paint when left for prolonged periods or leave imprints in the finish. It's pretty much the same material that the bottom of mouse pads are made from.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W132...s=neoprene+mat

I just ordered that from Amazon one should be enough for all three speakers for the top waveguide mount. Good find

post #34 of 182 Old 02-18-2017, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
I just ordered that from Amazon one should be enough for all three speakers for the top waveguide mount. Good find
I'm probably going to grab one too and return what I grabbed for these subs.

I finished two cabs and three brackets. Looks like I'll be able to toe in the Left and Right cabs a bit. These boxes are significant.

post #35 of 182 Old 02-20-2017, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Was able to wire up the crossovers over the weekend and mount the MF driver and compression driver to the waveguide. I'm still awaiting UltraTouch insulation that I ordered from HD. A few pics from this weekend.

post #36 of 182 Old 02-20-2017, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1 View Post
Was able to wire up the crossovers over the weekend and mount the MF driver and compression driver to the waveguide. I'm still awaiting UltraTouch insulation that I ordered from HD.
Menards stocks Ultratouch insulation.
post #37 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post

Yep. I bought mine from the one up on Jackson Rd. in Ann Arbor. They keep it out back in "The Barn"

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater
post #38 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yep. I bought mine from the one up on Jackson Rd. in Ann Arbor. They keep it out back in "The Barn"
Do they have the rolls or just the large batting packs? I looked on their website and they have the large rolls and only allow you to order it in packs of 6. I'll check there next time. Just got an email from HD that my insulation is in. Just need to swing by and pick it up.

Next up, deciding how to finish the cabs. I'm leaning towards staining them black.
post #39 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Do they have the rolls or just the large batting packs? I looked on their website and they have the large rolls and only allow you to order it in packs of 6. I'll check there next time. Just got an email from HD that my insulation is in. Just need to swing by and pick it up.

Next up, deciding how to finish the cabs. I'm leaning towards staining them black.
I'm not a Minwax fan but I used Polyshades matte black on birch subs I built last and I'm very impressed. The cabinets look almost like they are painted black but it won't scratch/scuff like paint.
post #40 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Mine wasn't in rolls. Just folded batting.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater
post #41 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do they have the rolls or just the large batting packs? I looked on their website and they have the large rolls and only allow you to order it in packs of 6. I'll check there next time.
I don't see any rolls, just batts. They stock 2 different varieties in Livonia, R13 (3.5x15x93)and R19 (5.5x15x93). http://www.menards.com/main/search.h...ype=storeItems
post #42 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I'm a bit late to this party, but now I'll be following your build eagerly. The ply flatpacks look amazing, and great work so far. Your new front stage looks incredible.

Quote:
I don't know. I was going to ask you the same. I've been looking at doing a vinyl wrap. I also looked at hydrographic dipping them, but the place by me that does that charges a pretty penny.
Crazy, I swear I hadn't even seen your thread yet when I suggested eng-399 dip his waveguides. I still think it could make an incredible finished product. Stain/dye the cabinets something nice and dark, and dip the WGs for an amazing result. I hope Fatty can manage to get his dipped.
post #43 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mine wasn't in rolls. Just folded batting.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Quote:
I don't see any rolls, just batts. They stock 2 different varieties in Livonia, R13 (3.5x15x93)and R19 (5.5x15x93). http://www.menards.com/main/search.h...ype=storeItems
I meant batts when referring to Menards. HD sells (exclusively apparently) the rolls. The rolls are 2" thick, but, according to Erich and Matt, that should suffice. They're slightly cheaper too. A six pack is about $36, which includes six rolls of 16" x 48" recycled denim insulation. Next time (if there is a next time), I'll just swing by Menards and grab the 3.5" denim batts.
post #44 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
I meant batts when referring to Menards. HD sells (exclusively apparently) the rolls. The rolls are 2" thick, but, according to Erich and Matt, that should suffice. They're slightly cheaper too. A six pack is about $36, which includes six rolls of 16" x 48" recycled denim insulation. Next time (if there is a next time), I'll just swing by Menards and grab the 3.5" denim batts.
Just so you know, you will go through those rolls quicker than you know, at least that was my experience. I just about polished off a case of them in my 1099 tower trio.
post #45 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Just so you know, you will go through those rolls quicker than you know, at least that was my experience. I just about polished off a case of them in my 1099 tower trio.
Yeah. I used the same denim insulation when finishing my three 1099s. I did have some left over to hit the back wall of a few of my subs. I think the Titans will need less than the 1099s based on my rough estimation because the Titans only require stuffing in the top 2/3s of the box, but not in the port area.
dtsdig likes this.
post #46 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
I'm a bit late to this party, but now I'll be following your build eagerly. The ply flatpacks look amazing, and great work so far. Your new front stage looks incredible.

Crazy, I swear I hadn't even seen your thread yet when I suggested eng-399 dip his waveguides. I still think it could make an incredible finished product. Stain/dye the cabinets something nice and dark, and dip the WGs for an amazing result. I hope Fatty can manage to get his dipped.
I'm on the fence.. Gonna be 300+ to get them dipped. I've been chatting with the painter here at work.. He's got some cool ideas..

And Looking real good Vic, I can't wait to see sone finished builds.
eng-399 likes this.
post #47 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So my denim insulation came in today. As a result, I have/had everything necessary to complete the speakers and give them a test run. Once it warms up, I'm going to go ahead and stain these cabs. A few pics of the progress I made below.

Pics of the completed Titan 615LX (sans cabinet finish):

post #48 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sitting here right now listening to these beasts. Man do they sound good. I should be able to finish the majority of my room treatments this weekend. I'm loving listening to these in stereo with no sub. These speakers image quite well, they're very clear (intelligible dialogue) and, at first blush, appear neutral.

Over the last couple weeks, I've had two sets of highly regarded speakers in my space, the 1099s, the Philharmonic Phil 2s and now the Titans. I liked the aggressive sound of the 1099s as that wasn't what I'd gone for in the past. Those speakers are a real gem. It was hard to see those go.

The Phil 2s have been my favorite two channel speakers since I first heard them. They are a very accurate speaker. I won't be letting them go as I plan to use them in my two channel setup. After hearing high efficiency speakers with controlled directivity for a dedicated HT setup, I knew what type of speaker I ultimately wanted for my dedicated space.

I was initially leaning towards the JBL 4722N, but I didn't have the requisite space on my front stage. When @eng-399 first posted about the Titan 615LX, I knew that I had to have these. I believe I'll be keeping these for a long time. Once my treatments are completed, I'll be measuring with my CSL Umik and REW. @mtg90 and @Erich H hit it out of the park with this speaker. More of my impressions to come.

My new front wall:

post #49 of 182 Old 02-21-2017, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What have I done? The bass I previously would run my 1099s with one or no sub late at night so that the bass wouldn't transfer upstairs and bother the wife and kids. I made more than adequate effort to use sound isolation techniques when designing my HT, but bass transfers nonetheless.
post #50 of 182 Old 02-22-2017, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Oops. Could be that the Titans sound so clean and without distortion that you play them louder than the previous speakers? Or maybe there is more bass vs the other speakers?

My HT is built on a floating concrete slab and with box-in-box OSB + double drywall with GreenGlue so I hope the sound is blocked.
VicTorious1 likes this.

Building a 9.3.4 HT: DIYSG Titan LX [LCR] • Cinema 10 Max [6 Surrounds] • Beta 10CX custom [TF+TR] • LLT Mal-x 18" subs [2] • XPR-5 • MM8003 [8ch] • XMC-1 [RMC-1 wanted] • PT AT6000E • 130" Seymour Center XD • Oppo 103EU • WTB: 1 extra Mal-x 18" SW
post #51 of 182 Old 02-22-2017, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 2465
Quote:
I'm sitting here right now listening to these beasts. Man do they sound good. I should be able to finish the majority of my room treatments this weekend. I'm loving listening to these in stereo with no sub. These speakers image quite well, they're very clear (intelligible dialogue) and, at first blush, appear neutral.

Over the last couple weeks, I've had two sets of highly regarded speakers in my space, the 1099s, the Philharmonic Phil 2s and now the Titans. I liked the aggressive sound of the 1099s as that wasn't what I'd gone for in the past. Those speakers are a real gem. It was hard to see those go.

The Phil 2s have been my favorite two channel speakers since I first heard them. They are a very accurate speaker. I won't be letting them go as I plan to use them in my two channel setup. After hearing high efficiency speakers with controlled directivity for a dedicated HT setup, I knew what type of speaker I ultimately wanted for my dedicated space.

I was initially leaning towards the JBL 4722N, but I didn't have the requisite space on my front stage. When @eng-399 first posted about the Titan 615LX, I knew that I had to have these. I believe I'll be keeping these for a long time. Once my treatments are completed, I'll be measuring with my CSL Umik and REW. @mtg90 and @Erich H hit it out of the park with this speaker. More of my impressions to come.

My new front wall:

Can I like this post more than one time I'm so glad you have these hooked up and running! Your stage area looks really sweet now with the Titan's in there. Since you had the 1099's and now have the Titan's can you tell the difference between the two. What do you notice right away? These to me seemed like they had more midbass and bass and played really clear really loud.
post #52 of 182 Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post
Oops. Could be that the Titans sound so clean and without distortion that you play them louder than the previous speakers? Or maybe there is more bass vs the other speakers?

My HT is built on a floating concrete slab and with box-in-box OSB + double drywall with GreenGlue so I hope the sound is blocked.
There is definitely more bass. My HT is in a poured concrete basement with 3/4 OSB subfloor and a room-within-a-room construction plus double 5/8 drywall with green glue. The sound didn't wake up my wife and kids, but it had me more concerned than my previous speakers.
JCJetta and eng-399 like this.
post #53 of 182 Old 02-22-2017, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
There is definitely more bass. My HT is in a poured concrete basement with 3/4 OSB subfloor and a room-within-a-room construction plus double 5/8 drywall with green glue. The sound didn't wake up my wife and kids, but it had me more concerned than my previous speakers.
So far what is the quality of the bass/midbass? I'm assuming that it is going to be quite good, but does the added xmax of the custom eminence driver take away any of the "punchy" midbass effect? I understand the reasoning behind going with a single LF driver over duals was the fact that this custom one has about double the useable xmax as the other "pro" type drivers used in similar types of speakers, but I'm wondering if there is still the wonderful rising response throughout the midbass that gives you the punch in the chest feeling.

(granted the drivers may be brand new and need some breaking in, I was just curious as to your impressions so far)
post #54 of 182 Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Interesting.

I have a similar room setup, and my cute little Volt 10LX mains are next to silent at Reference upstairs in the kitchen (which is right above the theater), but with the subs on I can still rattle the dishes effectively. I think it is safe to say you have a considerable amount of low/mid bass improvement.

Additionally, as I live about 15 minutes from @eng-399 , I am sort of vicariously jealous that you have already enjoyed these before him.

It sure is an exciting time to be a DIY HT enthusiast!
eng-399 likes this.
post #55 of 182 Old 02-22-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 164
How are you guys getting around SBIR effects that suck out mid-bass...125Hz to 250Hz ?
If they're not in a baffle wall, and they're within 4 feet of the front wall...is the only solution a foot of insulation above, to the sides, and behind the speakers?

SEOS Fusion 10 Max, 88 Special, Volt 10 LX, SVS PB10 and DIY SI18 subs, Denon X4000, JVC RS400 & 2.35:1 AT Screen
DIY Sound Group: Information and Tips
post #56 of 182 Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Oops...

Building a 9.3.4 HT: DIYSG Titan LX [LCR] • Cinema 10 Max [6 Surrounds] • Beta 10CX custom [TF+TR] • LLT Mal-x 18" subs [2] • XPR-5 • MM8003 [8ch] • XMC-1 [RMC-1 wanted] • PT AT6000E • 130" Seymour Center XD • Oppo 103EU • WTB: 1 extra Mal-x 18" SW
post #57 of 182 Old 02-23-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It would be interesting to see how different this speaker is from the QSC SC-2150. They seem to use the same waveguide, but different drivers (and one would assume x-overs) and different approach to the woofer design.
post #58 of 182 Old 02-23-2017, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post
It would be interesting to see how different this speaker is from the QSC SC-2150. They seem to use the same waveguide, but different drivers (and one would assume x-overs) and different approach to the woofer design.
Were actually going to do a blind test with my qsc 2150s against jk 7.2 s titans when he gets them and finishes them

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
JCJetta, Ryansboston and Fattykidd like this.
post #59 of 182 Old 02-24-2017, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Nice build!
I'm curious if you'd had any more time to gather additional listening impressions on these bad boys?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Humble Theater
post #60 of 182 Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
Were actually going to do a blind test with my qsc 2150s against jk 7.2 s titans when he gets them and finishes them
If you're looking for more test dummies for your blind test, I volunteer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs