• 1 Post By Cam Man
post #1 of 13 Unread 02-16-2017, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 378
HTM-10 Completed Weight?

Can somebody please put their HTM-10 on a scale and let us know what it weighs? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Unread 02-16-2017, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I just clicked on your link to the Media Great Room. Wow, it looks fantastic, a DIY Soundgroup dream!

What is your opinion on the SQ of the HTM-12? Is it loud, flat sounding, what?

I presume you are looking at the HTM-10 as surrounds?
post #3 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
I just clicked on your link to the Media Great Room. Wow, it looks fantastic, a DIY Soundgroup dream!

What is your opinion on the SQ of the HTM-12? Is it loud, flat sounding, what?

I presume you are looking at the HTM-10 as surrounds?
Thank you for the kind words.

You can read my first impressions here. Cam Man's HTM-12 Build

Since posting that, I've measured a bit and discovered that they are very admirably smooth (close mic). Acoustic measurements averaged in listening area reveal that my screen wall installation imposes the need for a modest amount of EQ work. That is only in the region of below about 175Hz (boundary gain acoustic influence). The right one has more wall around it than the left, so it is a bit tubby in that region, but not terrible. Unfortunately, I can't get my aging AVC to communicate with the Audyssey Pro utility in my laptop any more, so an AVC upgrade is going to have to come. Whether that will be an Audyssey or DiracLive capable unit is up in the air. I will wait on that until I see the MultEQ Editor mobile app that is coming out next month.

You are asking for a more subjective impression. I find the HTM-12 superb. I would call it capable of very refined nuance, yet brute force impact. Very smooth and transparent, yet a sleeping giant on dynamics. I am not a fan of full-range (running in full-range) for any speaker unless the speaker is large AND in a nominal location for acoustic LF response. Since that is always a wild card, I always run with bass management (crossing to subs between 60Hz and 80Hz) with the subs in locations friendly to good acoustic LF response. The close mic measurement showed them -3dB at 80Hz...which is ideal for such! I am also very impressed with its smooth coverage/dispersion.

The HTM-10s are being considered for a smaller room.

We had our adult kids over for dinner the other night, and we watched the Eagles Melbourne Farewell concert BD for the first time in a long time. We ran in PCM stereo with Dolby Surround post processing rather than 5.1 which kept more sound up on the LCRs. Incredible! Where these type of speakers really shine on that type of material is in dynamic attack; snare drum strikes, etc.. Even a kick drum has spectral content well above 60Hz. If speakers can't faithfully recreate that attack, then the impact of the kick drum is not recreated as well.

By the way...effortless performance at Reference level, even with 30 guests in the room (Super Bowl half time). Loud without harshness. 150wpc separate amp.

I highly endorse the HTM-12, although room size and throw distance should dictate whether HTM-12 or HTM-10.
Ericglo and wvu80 like this.

Last edited by Cam Man; Yesterday at 08:52 AM.

post #4 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Cam Man, great review, both original and this update! ^^^

There is only one review of the HTM-12 at DIYSG. You might consider doing a cut and paste of your post with the links to your build, into the REVIEW section. If I was a potential buyer, your description contains exactly the kind of information I want.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/review/.../category/163/

Last edited by wvu80; Yesterday at 03:51 PM.
post #5 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 1779
Shipping weight on the HTM-10 kit and flat pack with all the cardboard, corner protectors, etc. is 32lbs. So they would weigh under that. Probably 28lbs or so.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
post #6 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Shipping weight on the HTM-10 kit and flat pack with all the cardboard, corner protectors, etc. is 32lbs. So they would weigh under that. Probably 28lbs or so.
Thank you.

I'm considering three as LCRs in a smaller room that requires them to be wall mounted. I'm researching using a "medium" articulating TV wall mount rated at 80 pounds. This size secures to a single stud. This way I can pan/tilt each speaker as required easily. If I do this, I will mark the four VESA holes on the back of the HTM-10 and install four corresponding 3/8" T-nuts for attachment to the mount. Since the holes are spread out pretty far (and I'll use finishing screws on these rather than just glue), I think the MDF will be plenty strong.
Ericglo likes this.
post #7 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
Cam Man, great review, both original and this update! ^^^

There is only one review of the HTM-12 at DIYSG. You might consider doing a cut and paste of your post with the links to your build, into the REVIEW section. If I was a potential buyer, your description contains exactly the kind of information I want.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/review/.../category/163/
Thank you. I noticed that. I need to condense/edit a bit, then get it on there for Eric, Mark and all who are researching.
Ericglo and wvu80 like this.
post #8 of 13 Unread Today, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1703 Post(s)
Liked: 797
I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the recommended distances for each model.

Keep up the good work.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #9 of 13 Unread Today, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the recommended distances for each model.

Keep up the good work.
I can likely predict that fairly accurately based on established protocol, experience with now two models with SEOS 15 waveguide products, and the specs for the HTM-10. For any room it's always a combination of about four factors: Throw distance, size of seating area to cover, room volume, and room acoustic characteristics...kind of in that order of priority due to specific performance qualities of the DIYSG 88 Special and HTMs. That is enough variables to make the decision a bit complicated.

If installation permits, I'd choose the HTM-12 for all three LCRs if the throw is 12' and farther AND you can cover your listening area. Obviously, it is not feasible to expect to cover a large listening area well if the LCRs are far apart and the throw is short. The HTM-12 has maybe a bit smoother horizontal dispersion coverage than the 88 Special. My L/R mains are only about 42 degrees subtended angle from the MLP. That's a little narrow by stereo standards (but quite close to SMPTE nominal width for a scope screen), but this helps them work well with the slightly narrower dispersion of the 88 Special.

I put a little less priority on room volume than I do throw distance due to the dispersion characteristics and efficiency of the HTM-12, but room volume will affect the acoustic performance (and perception) of the speakers below about 120Hz. The balancing act of which speaker given a throw distance vs room volume is tougher to predict. Due to the very robust nature of DIYSG speakers, I think that the HTM-10 will likely still handle a large volume room if the throw distance is not too far. Don't worry about anechoic response below 80Hz. If the speaker is strong to 80Hz (no more than -3dB)...and the HTM-10 is, then cross it at the lowest that Audyssey will let it, and let it soar with less strain as your subs splice with them and pick up the LF load. You will hear that difference that DIYSG speakers have down to 80zHz. Even the Volt-10LX surrounds made a significant difference in my room due to this reason. A DIYSG room sounds "big," and that's a good thing. At least that's my $.02 worth.
Ericglo likes this.
post #10 of 13 Unread Today, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks! That is some good info.

My seating position is right around the 12' mark, but I might go a little shorter. The reason is to give a little more depth behind my couch for the surrounds and possibly less sound issues. At least that is what Arqen mentioned. It may apply more to mastering studios though. Definitely not my area of expertise.
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-...ker-placement/

post #11 of 13 Unread Today, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! That is some good info.

My seating position is right around the 12' mark, but I might go a little shorter. The reason is to give a little more depth behind my couch for the surrounds and possibly less sound issues. At least that is what Arqen mentioned. It may apply more to mastering studios though. Definitely not my area of expertise.
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-...ker-placement/
What they call "the 38% rule" is reasonably valid for a non-square room, primarily due to small room LF acoustic response. That tends to be the place where fewest LF modes coincide. It also gives your surround field some room to work "around" you. Yes, get away from the back wall primarily for this reason. Yes, the boundaries have the highest acoustic energy, but reasonably good EQ or even boundary gain THX settings will help this. The biggest reason is to give your surrounds a chance to envelop you.

I personally don't recommend the 60 degree spread for L/R mains. I know that sounds like heresy, but few speakers have adequate dispersion to handle that for more than one seat in a room the size it sounds like yours is. From the sound of it, I would think that HTM-10 LCRs with L/R mains around 45 degrees spread, and two subs in opposing corners (as in front left/back right), and an AVR/AVC with Audyssey Sub EQ HT (and reasonably good furnishings/decorations to absorb and diffuse acoustically) would put you in a good place. If your room width will permit, the Volt-10LX at 95 degrees from center (in other words, very slightly aft of abeam you), about four feet above ear level, and two back surrounds about 4' apart at the same height as the side surrounds would serve you well. I recommend using the angled baffle. In your room, it is likely that the "aim" of the angled baffle would still appear to pass over your head. That's okay; takes a little edge off the close proximity. All that is for 7.1, of course.
Ericglo likes this.
post #12 of 13 Unread Today, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the info.

That was roughly what I was thinking regarding speaker layout and type. I was thinking of building the diffuser on that website and putting it on the rear wall. I am still a little ways off from that point though. Just preliminary thoughts.

post #13 of 13 Unread Today, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

That was roughly what I was thinking regarding speaker layout and type. I was thinking of building the diffuser on that website and putting it on the rear wall. I am still a little ways off from that point though. Just preliminary thoughts.
That would be good. Maybe also on side walls on each side of the surrounds. That will help the surrounds not just be sources of sound, but help them with ambient sound envelopment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs