Room treatments and wall construction behind them - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Room treatments and wall construction behind them

I'm in a situation where I'll be using deep (12") panels on the walls in the front most part of the theater and some other deep panels throughout the other areas of the room (walls and ceiling). What I'm curious about is how to deal with the space behind the panels so that final construction places all of the treatments flush with one another? My first thought is to tackle some dampening by covering most of the sections that will need building out with some thick fluffy which might also help with my noise floor since there will be quite a bit of it area wise. I'm not worried about it over dampening the room because there will be panels placed over top of it. I'm just worried about the correct/best way to keep the wall construct acoustically friendly.

Should I actually cover the built out fluffy with drywall to create cavities which the panels would go into or will that just defeat the purpose? I assume studios have to go through this process in the design stage every time so have been searching how they do their wall construction for multiple different diffusion/absorption/scattering panels but haven't really found too much information.

I don't want my room to have panels hanging off the walls that stick out away from the wall and have gaps between them. I'm not opposed to using all sorts of commercial products in order to make this work as I envision it so absorptive wooden panels, scattering panels, absorption panels, of all sorts will make up this room. They will not be covered up by fabric except where filler may need covering. This is because of the modern style I'm trying to achieve. Even quite a few speaker cabs will appear to be hanging in free air off the side walls.

To sum it up- the panels I will be using in the room will range from 3" to 12" deep and I would like them all to be flush with one another. Any and all suggestions about the construction behind such panels would be great guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 146
First , I have no experience and probably will say plenty of wrong and stupid things .
Are you worried about sound travelling out of the space, or simply acoustics in the room? If both , I would think you would have to handle the soundproofing , then the acoustics , I wouldn't think that the two could be combined into a wall . From what I'm imagining you are trying to do , it sounds like you may need to build a wall inside the room walls (room within a room type) with the inner wall built to house the acoustic treatments . Face of the inner wall 12" in from the room wall , with holes for your treatments , allowing the faces of the varying depth absorbers to be flush . From what little I think I've learned you might have a triple leaf problem if you drywalled that face , but maybe doing one of those fabric track systems over the entire thing . I've seen a fabric system that looked like drywall , can't remember the name , but don't know if it's paintable or the acoustic transparency of it , but it was a very fine weave , not like the GoM .Looking forward to being corrected , and apologize in advance for any misinformation , I'm guessing .
If soundproofing isn't a concern , then I would think build the framing of the existing wall out to depth , drywall , keep in mind for fireproofing you may need to drywall the cavities for your acoustic treatments , and flush mount the treatments .

It was like that when I got here

Last edited by acras13; 02-17-2017 at 12:04 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-17-2017, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

No soundproofing is envolved in my process. Maybe lowering the noise floor a few dbs could be beneficial from having so much dampening material within the "buildout" material/process. I just don't want to cause a triple leaf effect or any other type of acoustical anomaly. Some of the panels I'm using will benefit from material behind them so that is one major reason why I'm asking the best way to do this.

I can't place fabric over diffusion panels because of the absorption is causes. Diffusion needs to have an adequate air gap when covered with fabric. That's one of the most overlooked mistakes I've seen around here regarding fabric just because those in the know don't feel like they ought to share this valuable information for free ;-). Secrets of the trade per se I guess one could say lol. But I've been trying to spread the word about this when see it mentioned.

But yes I will be using fabric tracks in areas that will be left for reflections and to cover up any voids between panels.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 02-17-2017 at 05:20 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-2017, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just out of curiosity, what material, in particular will you be using for these 12" deep sound absorbing panels? Will it have the proper air gap behind it to help with the rooms low end bass response?
post #5 of 5 Old 02-18-2017, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I won't have any 12" deep absorption panels. The diffusion panels will be the deep panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page