Connecting iNuke 3000 to Epik Subwoofer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-23-2017, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Connecting iNuke 3000 to Epik Subwoofer

I’m replacing a failed, plate amplifier in an Epik subwoofer with an external iNuke NU3000DSP. I’m a metallurgist, not an AV expert or electrical engineer, so please be patient with me. I’d like to take full advantage of the iNuke’s capabilities, so I’d like to connect and set-up everything properly.

The Epik subwoofer has a pair of drivers that are presently wired in parallel. I measured 3.5 ohms across the parallel connection.

I’ll have one, coaxial cable from my Sony A/V receiver to the amplifier. I assume this is a digital signal. I plan to connect it to the channel “A” input of the iNuke, if this is correct.

From previous postings on this and other forums, it sounds like I should run the iNuke in “bridged mode”. I assume that “bridged mode” means that both channels of the iNuke will be used to process the same subwoofer signal from the A/V receiver, and that both channels will be merged and power the subwoofer. Did I get that right?

I bought a Neutrik NL4MP Speakon 4 Pole Panel Mount for the Epik subwoofer. I bought one, NL4FX Speakon Cable Connector to attach to the iNuke end of the cable, and an NL2FX to attach to the subwoofer end of the cable. Will these work, or must I use an NL2MP 2-pole Panel Mount on the subwoofer?

If these connectors will work, am I correct that I should connect the iNuke end of the cable to the 1+/2+ terminals of the NL4FX. At the subwoofer end of the cable, the 1+ conductor from the iNuke end should be connected to the 1+ terminal of the NL2FX, and the 2+ conductors from the iNuke end should be connected to the 1- terminal of the NL2FX. If this is correct, then should I connect the subwoofer's plus terminal to the 1+ terminal of the NL4MP, and the subwoofer's minus terminal to the 1- terminal of the NL4MP?

Thank you in advance for any comments and suggestions you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-23-2017, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 280
You will have to use 4-pole connectors all around. The 2 pole connectors only have 1+/1- connections, so to take advantage of the bridged mode, you must use a connector that have both 1+/2+ connections which are the 4-poles.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-23-2017, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Simply connect the speakon connector on the subwoofer side however it needs to be connected to mate with the two wires in the subwoofer. Just make sure to label the cable so that you know which end is which! In summary, channel A 1+ goes to the subwoofer positive terminal, and Channel A 2+ goes to the negative terminal. If you get it backwards it's no big deal. You can easily adjust the phase in the iNuke Remote Connect software.

The coaxial output from the receiver should be an analog signal. If it says "sub out", it is analog. Simply get an RCA to 1/4 mono adapter to plug into the back of the iNuke.

As an added suggestion, set up your input gain so that the sub is at the volume you want it at when both the front knobs are turned fully clockwise. That way it doesn't matter if somebody messes with the knobs. Just turn them full clockwise, and it's at the correct setting. I did this with my iNuke because I have kids, and wanted to make the amp fiddle-proof.

Note to Mods: I am DanLW and I can prove it. Please have an Admin PM me so I can get my original account back with my full post count. All my password reset requests have been ignored for some reason.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-24-2017, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Raylon and danlw2, for both of your replies.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2017, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westfordjoe View Post
I’m replacing a failed, plate amplifier in an Epik subwoofer with an external iNuke NU3000DSP. I’m a metallurgist, not an AV expert or electrical engineer, so please be patient with me. I’d like to take full advantage of the iNuke’s capabilities, so I’d like to connect and set-up everything properly.

The Epik subwoofer has a pair of drivers that are presently wired in parallel. I measured 3.5 ohms across the parallel connection.

I’ll have one, coaxial cable from my Sony A/V receiver to the amplifier. I assume this is a digital signal. I plan to connect it to the channel “A” input of the iNuke, if this is correct.

From previous postings on this and other forums, it sounds like I should run the iNuke in “bridged mode”. I assume that “bridged mode” means that both channels of the iNuke will be used to process the same subwoofer signal from the A/V receiver, and that both channels will be merged and power the subwoofer. Did I get that right?

I bought a Neutrik NL4MP Speakon 4 Pole Panel Mount for the Epik subwoofer. I bought one, NL4FX Speakon Cable Connector to attach to the iNuke end of the cable, and an NL2FX to attach to the subwoofer end of the cable. Will these work, or must I use an NL2MP 2-pole Panel Mount on the subwoofer?

If these connectors will work, am I correct that I should connect the iNuke end of the cable to the 1+/2+ terminals of the NL4FX. At the subwoofer end of the cable, the 1+ conductor from the iNuke end should be connected to the 1+ terminal of the NL2FX, and the 2+ conductors from the iNuke end should be connected to the 1- terminal of the NL2FX. If this is correct, then should I connect the subwoofer's plus terminal to the 1+ terminal of the NL4MP, and the subwoofer's minus terminal to the 1- terminal of the NL4MP?

Thank you in advance for any comments and suggestions you have?
My Epik Legend is up and running with the iNuke NU3000DSP external amp. Last night, while setting the subwoofer's volume level, I noticed a distinct hum from the subwoofer when the volume control of the iNuke is more than 50%. Any ideas what might be causing that and how to stop the hum?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-09-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
My Epik Legend is up and running with the iNuke NU3000DSP external amp. Last night, while setting the subwoofer's volume level, I noticed a distinct hum from the subwoofer when the volume control of the iNuke is more than 50%. Any ideas what might be causing that and how to stop the hum?

How are you connecting the unbalanced RCA cable to the amp? Firstly, I recommend using something like this https://www.markertek.com/product/sp...-to-rca-female

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

How are you connecting the unbalanced RCA cable to the amp? Firstly, I recommend using something like this https://www.markertek.com/product/sp...-to-rca-female
Thank you for replying, Augerhandle. I'm using a similar connector to attach the coax from the A/V receiver to the input of the iNuke. It has 1/4 inch phono plug on one end and female RCA on the other. It's a different brand than yours, and mine has plastic section between the phono plug and RCA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3832a.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2025905  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Thank you for replying, Augerhandle. I'm using a similar connector to attach the coax from the A/V receiver to the input of the iNuke. It has 1/4 inch phono plug on one end and female RCA on the other. It's a different brand than yours, and mine has plastic section between the phono plug and RCA.
Westfordjoe, since you just went through this process, would you mind detailing exactly what you needed to order? My Epik Empire recently died and I too am planning on powering it with the iNuke 3000DSP. I'm thinking I need the NL4MP 4 pole panel for the Epik amp panel. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to drill through the metal. I then have to connect the positive and negative internal speaker wire to the 2 poles. Would you mind itemizing the additional items you needed? Also, did you do the fan mod to the iNuke? I hear the default fans are very loud and I do not have a closet to keep it in so I'm thinking I will need to do that.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page