Forum Introduction and my 12" DIY Sub Enclosure - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Craig S King
  • 1 Post By Craig S King

post #1 of 10 Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Forum Introduction and my 12" DIY Sub Enclosure

Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my first thread & post on AVS Forum. I've lurked for quite a while, but finally decided to join and share my DIY project, but also seek guidance in planning my next DIY Subwoofer enclosure.

From my younger days, I had a 12" JL Audio W6v2. It had been collecting dust so I decided to put it to use. I do not have a HT setup, but do enjoy listening to music, and thoroughly appreciate having TONS of bass, or at least the ability to rattle my house with bass, if I'm in the mood.

From my internet research prior to designing and building the enclosure, it's a transmission line slot-ported enclosure. From what I've read on here, the port is similar to a homewrecker design in that there's almost 8' of porting inside the enclosure. The entire enclosure is 3/4" MDF. I'm pretty good with wood-working, so this wasn't a difficult build. The front baffle is 1.5". I used wood glue in addition to screws to assemble. I used silicon caulking to seal the inside edges. I opted to install a Dayton Audio 250w subwoofer plate amp. I didn't want a separate stand-alone amp for the sub.

I attached a few pictures. The side view shows the transmission line port.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2825.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	2010665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2826.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	2010673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2827.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	2010681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2828.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	2010689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	2010697  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-06-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 332
nice looking box. i like it.

THANK YOU!!! for your selfless contribution to the audio world
Anders Torger for Brutefir
Thomas Drugeon for Rephase
John Mulcahy for room eq wizard
Denis Sbragion for DRC room correction
Juha Hartikainen for Winisd
post #3 of 10 Old 03-06-2017, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201 View Post
nice looking box. i like it.
Thanks. I don't regret anything, but there are certainly a few things I would do differently next time.

For instance:

- Additional bracing inside the enclosure
- Fill and sand the screw holes
- Paint with a duracoat finish
- Not build a separate compartment for the plate amp

post #4 of 10 Old 03-06-2017, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here and this is my first thread & post on AVS Forum. I've lurked for quite a while, but finally decided to join and share my DIY project, but also seek guidance in planning my next DIY Subwoofer enclosure.

From my younger days, I had a 12" JL Audio W6v2. It had been collecting dust so I decided to put it to use. I do not have a HT setup, but do enjoy listening to music, and thoroughly appreciate having TONS of bass, or at least the ability to rattle my house with bass, if I'm in the mood.

From my internet research prior to designing and building the enclosure, it's a transmission line slot-ported enclosure. From what I've read on here, the port is similar to a homewrecker design in that there's almost 8' of porting inside the enclosure. The entire enclosure is 3/4" MDF. I'm pretty good with wood-working, so this wasn't a difficult build. The front baffle is 1.5". I used wood glue in addition to screws to assemble. I used silicon caulking to seal the inside edges. I opted to install a Dayton Audio 250w subwoofer plate amp. I didn't want a separate stand-alone amp for the sub.

I attached a few pictures. The side view shows the transmission line port.

Thanks for looking.

That's a great project! How do well does it perform in the box?

As it so happens I have a pair of old JL Audio 12W6's laying around. I have a bandpass box that I was going to place them in for my SUV in my younger days.

I'd love to have a copy of your design plans as I'd like to repurpose these drivers as either nearfield subs or rear subs in my HT.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by video1 View Post
That's a great project! How do well does it perform in the box?

As it so happens I have a pair of old JL Audio 12W6's laying around. I have a bandpass box that I was going to place them in for my SUV in my younger days.

I'd love to have a copy of your design plans as I'd like to repurpose these drivers as either nearfield subs or rear subs in my HT.
Thank you. As far as performance, I've been very happy with it - especially since it's a re-purposed car audio subwoofer I bought probably the better part of 15 years ago. It's seen a lot of power thrown at it over the years, and now resides in my computer room, helping supplement the lows to my music.

I don't think I have the original designs from the build, but I can measure it again and send the dimensions your way.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Nice project! Is 250w enough to get that woofer really moving? I figured the JLs were stiff old beasts, but I've never actually handled one.

Did you chamfer the corners on the enclosure? Most people round over, but I'm pretty dead set on a nice flat chamfer when I build my subs. Happy you went that route?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Bartley, surprisingly the 250w does get the W6 moving pretty good. As best as I can observe, I'm seeing the better part of 1" excursion total. However, I think the W6 could handle a lot more power. If I recall, the W6 is easily a 500w sub, so I'm barely throwing half at it. But for my purposes, it hammers out the lows that I listen to.

And yes, I did a 45-degree chamfer on all of the edges. Good eye! No particular reason, but I do appreciate a nice chamfered edge as well. I'm sure I will do the same on my next enclosure I'm planning currently.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Welcome! (I'm relatively new here too)
Nice enclosure..
I like the fact that it's a t-line of sorts too, as I've built many-a-t-lines over the years and like their effortless, smooth, and deep sound...
Did you treat the line itself with stuffing/lining?
Also, how long is the line in total feet?

Actually, I love tube amps..
I play guitars through them.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2017, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Wreckingball, thanks. As for lining the t-line, no, I did not. I didn't think about that. I stuffed the airspace inside the enclosure, but not the t-line.

As for the actual length, I'll measure it again when I get the measurements for video1. Although I believe it's close to 8'.
wreckingball likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry it took over a week to get the measurements posted.

Overall cabinet: 31"x23"x14.5" this includes the section that houses the plate amp.

Sub cabinet only: 25"x23"x14.5"

T-line channel: 4" wide x 64" long

Weight: Too damn heavy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page