Do you eventually crave REALLY LOW BASS? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 95Likes

post #1 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Do you eventually crave REALLY LOW BASS?

Hi all,
Been studying up on as many builds as possible (still can't quite decide on a first one yet tho! ). Seems I'd like to build them all!!!

One thing I've gotta ask the community before I fall too far down the rabbit hole though is do you eventually crave the really LOW bass? Like well below 20 hz. And how do you plan to get there? I've just noticed so many movies nowadays really push the super low stuff ("Arrival" and "Hacksaw" about tore my poor little PSW-505's apart ).

Do you think it's important to add that extra shake? How best to reproduce it? Is it an eventuality that I should plan for?

Many thanks for your thoughts! From a future Bass-aholic!
J&H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 40
"do you eventually crave the really LOW bass?"

Yes

What is your definition of really LOW bass? 10 Hz is one full octave below what is normally considered the low end of human hearing and is easily achievable with an LLT (large low tuned) ported set-up. If you want single digit bass you probably need to consider several large sealed drivers and a lot more amp power. Either way plan on measuring and then EQing with some sort of DSP, such as a miniDSP or inuke amp(s) with DSP, in order to meet your goals.

I use 4 SIHT18 subs in an LLT alignment for the low-end and 2 dayton PA460 subs for the mid and upper bass.

My Stuff:
JVC DLA-RS45U projector, Seymour 132" motorized AT screen, Samsung UN65EH6000 TV
Fusion 12 Tempest L/C/R, diy surrounds, SI HT18 subs x4, PA460 subs x2
NanoAVR -> Denon AVR-X4000 -> Minidsp 2x4 Balanced -> EP4000 x2 & Crown CL1 amps
HTPC w/AMD R9 270X - Linux Mediaserver w/ 9TB RAID 10 storage - XBOX One

Last edited by swtfman; 03-11-2017 at 03:55 AM.
post #3 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 281
For music the opportunity to play back bass below 20 hz is very limited. It doesn't happen that often and is rarely missed.

I have no data to back up my opinion, it's an opinion not a white paper!

post #4 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 284
My answer is no.

My system is flat to 10hz and when you play 10hz loud all Youre hearing is some flapping noise that adds nothing to the experience

I think the magic happens from 20-100hz

Ps. Doesn't mean you don't want to go overkill on the bass though. Having many drivers means you can hit reference with less wattage, and less excursion, which are both very good things
stegen and David Varner like this.

THANK YOU!!! for your selfless contribution to the audio world
Anders Torger for Brutefir
Thomas Drugeon for Rephase
John Mulcahy for room eq wizard
Denis Sbragion for DRC room correction
Juha Hartikainen for Winisd

Last edited by 1201; 03-11-2017 at 04:10 AM.
post #5 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The idea toys with me and It sounds awesome but truth be told. Are you going to cherry pick a few scenes here and there to demo for yourself or others and keep playing it over and over. There is vey little content in movies and even less in music and all you are really getting is bragging rights for people that care and yourself. If it is worth it to you than go for it. I am very happy with My Orbit Shifter LFU and it has some wicked output. 101.5db at 16hz.That's about as low as I can go and I don't think i'm missing out. From 20-100hz there's not much else on this planet that can rival it. The problem is when people mix movies and music they are not mixing for the 1% that have those single digit systems.

Now if producers started mixing movies that low even 3 or 4 a year. I would be craving a system that could do that.
BacHolz likes this.

Last edited by David Varner; 03-11-2017 at 04:17 AM.
post #6 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I do. But two buttkicker lfe's tuned well screwed to my three theater seats gets me. Nearfeild subs will let you feel the really low stuff also. This is while being on a slab. A suspended floor is another story. If I sit above my theater on the living room couch while a movie is on in my theater, the floor ripples and bounces with the room pressurizing low bass.
post #7 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 738
I have two all sealed setups that I've played with a high pass filter to simulate a ported tune. I think once I "tuned" higher than 25hz I felt I was missing something. Overall I think I prefer impact over pressurization. In the end it's going to come down to personal preference. What the diy community needs is a way to vary tuning. This is why I like the vbss design as you get to pick from three tunings.
post #8 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 87
At some point after the recession in 2009, the goals and philosophies of those building subs on this forum changed. Prior to that, everyone was seeking single digit bass reproduction capability. It changed though to far exceeding reference level capability from 20hz on up.

I never quite understood the shift. Reference level capability from 20-120hz with today's high excursion drivers and ridiculously inexpensive, high wattage amps is easy - like really really easy. But they don't just want to achieve it, their design goal is to vastly exceed it, using multiples to get them 140db+ capability in that range.

I don't get it. Who listens at 20db louder than reference? How are these ported subs protected below tune from all the high amplitude single digit information when the tunes are in the 18-25hz range? (To my knowledge they aren't, the subs are exceeding excursion limits and being stressed hard, but they are built so well nowadays that it's not a catostrophic event).

My advice to the OP is to look to the past lol. Once reference level capability was achieved in the common bass range prior to the recession, we chased extension, not headroom. There is a noticeable difference in the playback experience of a scene with infrasonic bass when yu have the capability vs when you don't. It's not chest thumping or stomach tickling - that's more the 30-40hz content - it's structure rippling, nerve inducing dread. Some kind of instinct senses it and makes you think "this is not good". As was mentioned earlier, if your floor is live, you'll appreciate it even more.

It's definitely not necessary to enjoy the film, but it does add one extra layer of complexity to the experience. It's achievable via ported with larger enclosures and lower tunes - shift that sensitivity down in frequency. It's achievable via sealed with multiple drivers, lots of power on tap, and heavy equalization. Larger enclosures help sealed too, but mostly it's the EQ.
post #9 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
At some point after the recession in 2009, the goals and philosophies of those building subs on this forum changed. Prior to that, everyone was seeking single digit bass reproduction capability. It changed though to far exceeding reference level capability from 20hz on up.

I never quite understood the shift. Reference level capability from 20-120hz with today's high excursion drivers and ridiculously inexpensive, high wattage amps is easy - like really really easy. But they don't just want to achieve it, their design goal is to vastly exceed it, using multiples to get them 140db+ capability in that range.

I don't get it. Who listens at 20db louder than reference? How are these ported subs protected below tune from all the high amplitude single digit information when the tunes are in the 18-25hz range? (To my knowledge they aren't, the subs are exceeding excursion limits and being stressed hard, but they are built so well nowadays that it's not a catostrophic event).

My advice to the OP is to look to the past lol. Once reference level capability was achieved in the common bass range prior to the recession, we chased extension, not headroom. There is a noticeable difference in the playback experience of a scene with infrasonic bass when yu have the capability vs when you don't. It's not chest thumping or stomach tickling - that's more the 30-40hz content - it's structure rippling, nerve inducing dread. Some kind of instinct senses it and makes you think "this is not good". As was mentioned earlier, if your floor is live, you'll appreciate it even more.

It's definitely not necessary to enjoy the film, but it does add one extra layer of complexity to the experience. It's achievable via ported with larger enclosures and lower tunes - shift that sensitivity down in frequency. It's achievable via sealed with multiple drivers, lots of power on tap, and heavy equalization. Larger enclosures help sealed too, but mostly it's the EQ.
Lol what. Literally everyone uses a high pass filter. Everyone
post #10 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Who sells adjustable high pass filters in the 10-20hz range?
post #11 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Well, I've found that people that say no, under 20hz just don't have enough SPL. Having a system flat to 10hz, 5hz etc isn't nearly enough. You have to be in the 130dB range to make it really worth while.... There are not a whole lot of us on here that have that capability and we'd be considered bass nuts.

I've never had anyone over to hear the hulk pulse cannon scene and say "was the sub playing?" Lol usually they go " holy FU&# that felt my teeth rattle"....

Is it cost effective? Not at all but that doesn't mean it's not fun. Theres not a whole lot of content under 15hz in movies but for the ones there is, it's pretty damn fun.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #12 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Who sells adjustable high pass filters in the 10-20hz range?
minidsp. If you have DSP on an amp there is a work-around to get it to go lower than 20 hz
post #13 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are people using the 20hz highpass available on some pro amps? That would mean they start rolling off well above 20hz. Ouch.
post #14 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are people using the 20hz highpass available on some pro amps? That would mean they start rolling off well above 20hz. Ouch.
How to extend the high pass filter below 20hz in DCX2496
post #15 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Clever
post #16 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Well, I've found that people that say no, under 20hz just don't have enough SPL. Having a system flat to 10hz, 5hz etc isn't nearly enough. You have to be in the 130dB range to make it really worth while.... There are not a whole lot of us on here that have that capability and we'd be considered bass nuts.

I've never had anyone over to hear the hulk pulse cannon scene and say "was the sub playing?" Lol usually they go " holy FU&# that felt my teeth rattle"....

Is it cost effective? Not at all but that doesn't mean it's not fun. Theres not a whole lot of content under 15hz in movies but for the ones there is, it's pretty damn fun.
I don't have the firepower. But I do have a great deal of room gain which helps and my basement has a standing wave at 18hz that is really easy to excite with my then two 15's. I remember watching Gravity with my wife and having our stomachs start hurting and having to turn it off. I had a pretty massive house curve dialed in at that time too. That was the turning point where I thought to myself "why am I chasing this". We had to turn the movie off. That prompted my testing with the HP filter. Though as I write this I realize I've learned much more about this hobby since then and perhaps it was distortion that bothered us. Damnit, now I need to watch gravity tonight.
post #17 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 935
Yes and no,

Back in the early 90's, I helped a buddy build a really low tuned sub system for his car. The ultra expensive SPL meter was cal'd to 2Hz so we tested an 11 Hz tone in his car. 11Hz = 136dB which was a really bizarre crushing feeling and it chopped up our voices as we yelled at each other. Eventually, he blew the glass out of his car screwing around with the deep stuff

My house can't withstand that level, picture windows, suspended floors and all that jazz--I don't live in a bunker. My house has a resonant frequency in the bedroom at 10.6Hz (don't ask!) Realistically, the lowest note for "normal" pipe organs is 16Hz although there are 8Hz and 4Hz pipes out there--I have to compromise. 16 or 18Hz is fine, I have 18Hz in my HT but the voices in my head want 16Hz. I'm building two more subs and will high pass them at 15Hz but I won't worry about if 16Hz is at -3 or -6dB. At that point, I'm happy to have something down there and my house can't take it and my wife won't put up with chasing infrasound.

Generally speaking, the adult hearing range is 16Hz to 18KHz as far as understanding "notes"--below that we detect down to at least 1.6 Hz but it is detected, not exactly heard. The compromise I choose is setting the high pass to 15Hz, my OCD gets over ruled by not wanting to build a bunker--there are limits.

After all, that is why they invented AVS Get Togethers--what kind of fun would it be if you already could have a prostate check level of bass at home?
post #18 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Everyone has different views on this on AVS. Most advocating are hardcore objectivists (its on the disc, accurate etc) or have a system than can be loud down low (to show off on forums like this and feel "elite" or as often stated here "1%er"), while 99.99% of humanity for pretty much all of history during which sound reproduction has existed have been perfectly happy with the experience without extremely low frequencies, going no lower than 25-35Hz in general today. I suggest trying a system which has a bunch of output in this region with content you like, play it full band, then play subs only full sub band, then play 20Hz 48db BW LPF and then 20Hz 48db BW HPF. Play some content that you like on each and make your own conclusions, people on forums will push their opinions down your throat.
post #19 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 150
So, fwiw.... I posted this very question on a PostProduction forum and couldnt get one mixer to admit they had their hand in on ULF sound thats we love so much on their BR discs.

They had a plethera of resonse, one being that their systems reproduced nothing below 20-25hz. They blamed it on subharmonic generators, which take a signal and generate ULF from it. They said they never talked about it with producers, and not a soul was interested in saying much more. Most of the time that ULF would now become a charactor so to speak, and no one wanted to add another charactor to the movie and distract the message, or better yet, get distracted by it.

Wts, if you start at 80hz and drop one octave you will be at 40hz. You will need those frequencies, now one octave below that is 20hz, there is intended sound there too, but it has a different character than the 80-40, just deeper with more pressure and deep inpact. Now 20-10hz. This is what you are talking about, it also has a different character and the slow cycles add a dimension to the sound.

Your body is an interesting mic, and we can go from beaming sound to modal sound which is pretty cool, it can hear from 10hz on up, but instead of hearing, theres a transfer to feeling, so we can experience all of it and i recommend you hook up with a member to get a demo.

Many people will argue the hearing/feeling part, but we experience both, where they transfer from beams to modes, i think is the schroeder freq, but regardless, you hear/feel both and need to do so before you plunk down some cake to get whatever it is you are looking for.........

With all that said i like the ulf stuff, i use sealed subs which allow 10hz up to be produced to around 100db ( at the LP if im lucky ), with enough headroom maybe to hit 105db, if the roomgain helps out. At this point theres no L\T in my system so i can squeeze them a little harder than my last room that required a shelf.

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; 03-11-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #20 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3003 Post(s)
Liked: 2582
My personal experiences and preferences are that if you are on a basement slab the general cutoff to where I stop caring about subsonic content is about 14 or 15hz.

I have eight sealed UM18-22s and have played with test tones and the lowest content, favored demo clips, a lot. My subs provide pretty decent response down below 10hz. I just don't think it matters much below about 14hz on a slab of concrete. I also have participated in several tests where people can't even tell if that content is there or absent (using steep HPF filters) on a slab.

If you are on a suspended wooden floor - all bets change. It's also fun to have nearfield sealed subs firing directly into your back on a concrete slab to appreciate some of the tactile energy of the cone, that you otherwise can't really pick up, or is masked by higher frequency content.

FWIW, I don't really get a sense of dread from the lowest stuff, that I've heard people talk about before. It's fun, but not scary, or eerie, or upsetting to me. This is probably unique to each person.

I'd have no problem trading out my sealed subs for equivalent ported subs tuned to 14 or 15hz, but I'd keep my sealed subs behind my listening position. @notnyt migrated his eight sealed to ported and didn't feel like he gave anything up with his eight LMS5400 Ultras.
stegen likes this.

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl

Last edited by Archaea; 03-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #21 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre
Everyone has different views on this on AVS. Most advocating are hardcore objectivists (its on the disc, accurate etc) or have a system than can be loud down low (to show off on forums like this and feel "elite" or as often stated here "1%er"), while 99.99% of humanity for pretty much all of history during which sound reproduction has existed have been perfectly happy with the experience without extremely low frequencies, going no lower than 25-35Hz in general today. I suggest trying a system which has a bunch of output in this region with content you like, play it full band, then play subs only full sub band, then play 20Hz 48db BW LPF and then 20Hz 48db BW HPF. Play some content that you like on each and make your own conclusions, people on forums will push their opinions down your throat.
Did commercial theaters beginning in the early 1900's have capability and content down to 25hz? How about broadcasts of movies over rabbit ears on color tvs in the late 1950s? Did VHS tapes throughout the 70s and 80s contain content down to 25hz?

The reason people were fine without it over history is because it didn't exist yet. That's like saying people over history were perfectly fine without smart phones, so we don't need them today. Or better yet, 94% of the country watches movies with sound reproduction through their tv speakers with no subwoofer at all, so why are we even pursuing this hobby?

The content is there and the ability to reproduce the content exists, and it's easier and cheaper to do it nowadays than it has ever been. It just comes down to budget and how into the hobby you are, simple as that - don't try to turn this into class warfare lol.

The OP said they are a future bassoholic, so the answer to the question is that most likely yes, you will probably want to pursue infrasonic capability if you experience it.
N8DOGG, 18Hurts, biga6761 and 1 others like this.
post #22 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Clever

Hey Steve, havent seen ur posts in awhile, good to see ur back, at least in the DIY section

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; 03-11-2017 at 02:17 PM.
post #23 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did commercial theaters beginning in the early 1900's have capability and content down to 25hz? How about broadcasts of movies over rabbit ears on color tvs in the late 1950s? Did VHS tapes throughout the 70s and 80s contain content down to 25hz?

The reason people were fine without it over history is because it didn't exist yet. That's like saying people over history were perfectly fine without smart phones, so we don't need them today. Or better yet, 94% of the country watches movies with sound reproduction through their tv speakers with no subwoofer at all, so why are we even pursuing this hobby?

The content is there and the ability to reproduce the content exists, and it's easier and cheaper to do it nowadays than it has ever been. It just comes down to budget and how into the hobby you are, simple as that - don't try to turn this into class warfare lol.

The OP said they are a future bassoholic, so the answer to the question is that most likely yes, you will probably want to pursue infrasonic capability if you experience it.
Today most people don't know about less than 30Hz and if they do they don't care AND they are happy. I do not know a single person in real life who likes it. People are fine without it today because it is irrelevant, just because some people who are elitists or like to shake their butts or think its cool to rattle stuff like it does not make it indispensable to the average joe. Even most music today is above 35-40Hz. People are free to pursue what they please, my suggestion was clearly for the OP to try it himself.

The amount of content that exits is also probably less than 0.01% of all A/V content out there, not only does it add very slightly to the overall presentation but again the content is very limited, again people are free to pursue shaking their butts or otherwise if it floats their boat.

It is not "class warfare" but its pretty evident that AVS is a bunch of people with fragile egos, endlessly arguing and competing. It's really no different than what most men do with cars or what have you. Some have chosen subs/audio and come to AVS, the current fad is low end output so people pursue it.

I love bass, do I care about below 20Hz? No, heck I HPF my system at 40Hz for music and TV, for movies I turn on the low bass but the levels are way down below 40Hz, the point is you don't have to love the below 20Hz stuff to qualify as a "bassoholic", if however that is the definition then I am proud to not be a bassoholic.

Most who ask questions like the OP are doing so because of a lack of exposure, the vocal minority who voice their own preferences often lean such posters down a wasteful path. It is prudent to exercise caution when speaking to people on forums such as this.

In any case, please feel free to believe what you wish, my views are my own, I only offered a reply to a post so that the OP does not waste time,effort and money on something he may or may not want and is largely irrelevant to the majority of the human population today while enjoying their content fully in the higher frequencies which are far more relevant to human perception. YMMV.
post #24 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Yes and no,

Back in the early 90's, I helped a buddy build a really low tuned sub system for his car. The ultra expensive SPL meter was cal'd to 2Hz so we tested an 11 Hz tone in his car. 11Hz = 136dB which was a really bizarre crushing feeling and it chopped up our voices as we yelled at each other. Eventually, he blew the glass out of his car screwing around with the deep stuff

My house can't withstand that level, picture windows, suspended floors and all that jazz--I don't live in a bunker. My house has a resonant frequency in the bedroom at 10.6Hz (don't ask!) Realistically, the lowest note for "normal" pipe organs is 16Hz although there are 8Hz and 4Hz pipes out there--I have to compromise. 16 or 18Hz is fine, I have 18Hz in my HT but the voices in my head want 16Hz. I'm building two more subs and will high pass them at 15Hz but I won't worry about if 16Hz is at -3 or -6dB. At that point, I'm happy to have something down there and my house can't take it and my wife won't put up with chasing infrasound.

Generally speaking, the adult hearing range is 16Hz to 18KHz as far as understanding "notes"--below that we detect down to at least 1.6 Hz but it is detected, not exactly heard. The compromise I choose is setting the high pass to 15Hz, my OCD gets over ruled by not wanting to build a bunker--there are limits.

After all, that is why they invented AVS Get Togethers--what kind of fun would it be if you already could have a prostate check level of bass at home?
Actually humans can hear well below 16hz it just requires way more spl. I posted a white paper about it a few months back because this information has been misleading to so so many people on music/HT forums. So many people have spread the misinformation that many believe it is true just as I did from reading so many expressing the exact same false information.

If I can find it I will repost it here. Keith Yates actually gave me the link to the paper when we were talking about Rob Hanns theater build.

My room is pretty flat to 7hz and can clearly hear below 15hz when crank it up as I don't have any rattles or distortion to compete with the actual sound waves. I purposely built my room to be rattle free and withstand ULF just for these reasons. My HT2.0 will be flat to below 5hz but how far below is unknown right now as I'm still pondering the equipment chain. The processor/prepro is +/-.05db @1hz so just have to go from there.
BBLV and Brazle like this.
post #25 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
Today most people don't know about less than 30Hz and if they do they don't care AND they are happy. I do not know a single person in real life who likes it. People are fine without it today because it is irrelevant, just because some people who are elitists or like to shake their butts or think its cool to rattle stuff like it does not make it indispensable to the average joe. Even most music today is above 35-40Hz. People are free to pursue what they please, my suggestion was clearly for the OP to try it himself.

The amount of content that exits is also probably less than 0.01% of all A/V content out there, not only does it add very slightly to the overall presentation but again the content is very limited, again people are free to pursue shaking their butts or otherwise if it floats their boat.

It is not "class warfare" but its pretty evident that AVS is a bunch of people with fragile egos, endlessly arguing and competing. It's really no different than what most men do with cars or what have you. Some have chosen subs/audio and come to AVS, the current fad is low end output so people pursue it.

I love bass, do I care about below 20Hz? No, heck I HPF my system at 40Hz for music and TV, for movies I turn on the low bass but the levels are way down below 40Hz, the point is you don't have to love the below 20Hz stuff to qualify as a "bassoholic", if however that is the definition then I am proud to not be a bassoholic.

Most who ask questions like the OP are doing so because of a lack of exposure, the vocal minority who voice their own preferences often lean such posters down a wasteful path. It is prudent to exercise caution when speaking to people on forums such as this.

In any case, please feel free to believe what you wish, my views are my own, I only offered a reply to a post so that the OP does not waste time,effort and money on something he may or may not want and is largely irrelevant to the majority of the human population today while enjoying their content fully in the higher frequencies which are far more relevant to human perception. YMMV.
Fragile egos.... Such as yours I guess lol.
Man, youre on a diy forum where the norm here is to build big bad subs. You argument about the human population is pretty damn lame, we ARE the 1%'ers on here. That's the whole reason we are on here, to see others builds that make us look less crazy and enjoy the hobby and all aspects of it.

I don't have a lot of subs to show off on a forum, you don't see any build threads of mine, nothing but the odd picture. I have them because I can and I want them for my own enjoyment.

Relax man, everyone gets to enjoy their own theaters any way they want.

post #26 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fragile egos.... Such as yours I guess lol.
Man, youre on a diy forum where the norm here is to build big bad subs. You argument about the human population is pretty damn lame, we ARE the 1%'ers on here. That's the whole reason we are on here, to see others builds that make us look less crazy and enjoy the hobby and all aspects of it.

I don't have a lot of subs to show off on a forum, you don't see any build threads of mine, nothing but the odd picture. I have them because I can and I want them for my own enjoyment.

Relax man, everyone gets to enjoy their own theaters any way they want.
I don't know why you mention my ego, I don't have anything to gain here. But you did make it a point to spin it so I am guessing you might have a fragile ego which is somehow offended.

The OP asked a question, I provided a reasonable answer. Hear it for yourself and decide. I did not reference anyone here. People are not all the same, not everyone wants to "burp/fart/burst" 1-20Hz bass. Many people like bass, but most do not like below 20Hz, its a good idea to tell this to people who ask so they don't waste resources on it and instead gain some experience before doing anything. This way they gain a better understanding of what they want rather than what you think they should want.

I don't know what you have or what you post, I don't browse/follow AVS religiously.

Absolutely, everyone does get to do what they want, which is why I posted so that he can decide for himself. You might take your own advice about relaxing.
post #27 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Did commercial theaters beginning in the early 1900's have capability and content down to 25hz?...
1974 for the movie "Earthquake"
Universal's sound department came up with a process called "Sensurround" – a series of large speakers made by Cerwin-Vega powered by BGW amplifiers, that would pump in sub-audible "infra bass" sound waves at 120 decibels (equivalent to a jet airplane at takeoff), giving the viewer the sensation of an earthquake. The process was tested in several theatres around the United States prior to the film's release, yielding various results. A famous example is Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California, where the "Sensurround" cracked the plaster in the ceiling. The same theatre premiered Earthquake three months later – with a newly installed net over the audience to catch any falling debris – to tremendous success.

I have no data to back up my opinion, it's an opinion not a white paper!
post #28 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I'm not trying to get into an argument but how can you say most don't like sub 20hz bass? That just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Maybe some people could care less if their subs are capable of producing sub 20hz content but that is far different than disliking it. I've never had a single person in my theater watch a movie and complain about the ULF, it's been quite the opposite each and "EVERY" time. Almost every new action or horror movie has ULF content well below 20hz that is mixed for a purpose and that purpose is to reach the audience of each and every person that has a system capable of reproducing it. More and more pro sound companies are now focusing on designing subs that can produce sound below 20hz as well since mixers are making it more of the norm.

Just my experience and $.02
Brazle likes this.
post #29 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
I don't know why you mention my ego, I don't have anything to gain here. But you did make it a point to spin it so I am guessing you might have a fragile ego which is somehow offended.

The OP asked a question, I provided a reasonable answer. Hear it for yourself and decide. I did not reference anyone here. People are not all the same, not everyone wants to "burp/fart/burst" 1-20Hz bass. Many people like bass, but most do not like below 20Hz, its a good idea to tell this to people who ask so they don't waste resources on it and instead gain some experience before doing anything. This way they gain a better understanding of what they want rather than what you think they should want.

I don't know what you have or what you post, I don't browse/follow AVS religiously.

Absolutely, everyone does get to do what they want, which is why I posted so that he can decide for himself. You might take your own advice about relaxing.
Gezus man.... look where you are posting.... if you can't figure that out, why are you even on this forum? You don't post on here a lot but I always remember your name because your either arguing with someone about an opinion or whining about something someone else has that you don't and tell them how dumb they are for having it.... because you don't/can't do the same.

post #30 of 123 Old 03-11-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gezus man.... look where you are posting.... if you can't figure that out, why are you even on this forum? You don't post on here a lot but I always remember your name because your either arguing with someone about an opinion or whining about something someone else has that you don't and tell them how dumb they are for having it.... because you don't/can't do the same.
Obviously your quite upset about my views. No need to get personal. Someone asked a question, I answered with my views. If you do not like my views then do not reply to me.

I speak what I want, and as for what I do or don't have how is it of relevance in this discussion? You bringing it up is a strange reply to a post about frequency ranges and their relevance to an individual.

Again take your own advice and relax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs