New World Record: 185db @ 315kW - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 8 Post By mikeTRON250LM
  • 2 Post By Archaea
  • 1 Post By 18Hurts
  • 3 Post By Gooddoc
  • 1 Post By Jonny Hotnuts
  • 2 Post By JCJetta
  • 1 Post By Orijen
  • 1 Post By BassThatHz
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 8,009
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2378 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
New World Record: 185db @ 315kW

Probably sounds like death, literally...

I think they used SoundDigital amps to power this as well. (But not the same people.)

Brazilian's really like their "loudness" apparently!

Last edited by BassThatHz; 03-11-2017 at 04:55 PM.
BassThatHz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gouie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 87
That's hilarious, hair rock'n to the beat.
Gouie is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikeTRON250LM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 172
But will it be adequate in my room? I have a concrete floor.
BeerNut, JCJetta, MattSPL and 5 others like this.
mikeTRON250LM is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 10,145
Mentioned: 484 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 2711
that second video with the whole moving of the shirt, beer can, and hair in OPEN AIR - OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!! is stupid impressive.

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Archaea is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 1,999
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON250LM View Post
But will it be adequate in my room? I have a concrete floor.
That depends,

What brand of air raid horns are your mains and what air pressure do you run them?

Mike_WI likes this.
18Hurts is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 3,523
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeTRON250LM View Post
But will it be adequate in my room? I have a concrete floor.
oh snap!
lukeamdman is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikeTRON250LM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
That depends,

What brand of air raid horns are your mains and what air pressure do you run them?

Oh no, I was planning on keeping these BOSE cubes. My wife only wants the most cute of speakers.
mikeTRON250LM is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 PM
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
A new record for stupidity. Yawn.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bgtighe23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,174
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
A new record for stupidity. Yawn.
just because your opinion is that this is stupid, doesnt make it so. Theres a quote in someones signature that could relate

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Receiver : Denon x5200
Front Stage : Martin Logan Motion 60XTs/Elac Debut F5 Center
Surround Speakers : HTD Level 2 and 3 Towers
Subwooferage : Dual UM-18s/6 SI HT18s
Born in 1995 and still continuing my HT journey
bgtighe23 is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,235
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
I did dB drag racing for 7 years. 185dB is flat out stupid lol. I was into the low 160s with my setup and that was unbearable.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 03-13-2017, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 8,009
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2378 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
I don't even know what a person would have to do to get to +170db.

Sending a few kW to an LMS-18 with the TermLab located here, gives me this:



How in the world are they getting to these numbers on the dash @ 1M away?

Is 315kW into 9 15's at a much greater distance really that much louder?
Are they flashing the coils up in smoke during each run?
(I thought they have to at least score twice in a row for it to be valid?)

I just really want to find the clipping point my of TermLab, but no success thus far...

That said, 165db @ 14hz does sound pretty cool, too bad it doesn't do that @ 10ft.

Last edited by BassThatHz; 03-13-2017 at 07:30 PM.
BassThatHz is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 03-13-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gooddoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,883
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3108 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
It seems they cranked up a bit more here

Archaea, BassThatHz and 18Hurts like this.

Last edited by Gooddoc; 03-13-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Gooddoc is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 03-13-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
I don't even know what a person would have to do to get to +170db.

Sending a few kW to an LMS-18 with the TermLab located here, gives me this:



How in the world are they getting to these numbers on the dash @ 1M away?

Is 315kW into 9 15's at a much greater distance really that much louder?
Are they flashing the coils up in smoke during each run?
(I thought they have to at least score twice in a row for it to be valid?)

I just really want to find the clipping point my of TermLab, but no success thus far...

That said, 165db @ 14hz does sound pretty cool, too bad it doesn't do that @ 10ft.
Yea they are cooking woofers in each run most likely as it's probably just a "one" time burp or atleast that's how it was when I competed in strictly spl. Sound quality and another type of scoring system the store that sponsored me had me enter required two runs though.
audiovideoholic is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PDX on the Columbia
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Ive been out of the spl thing since I moved to the PNW from the South (somewhere around '98).

-A good friend and someone I mentored in the game just won some huge event in his class pulling a 169 in USACI Mod 2-4K. When I was doing this sort of thing I was unstoppable with a legal 158. Even 169 seems crazy....185 doesnt seem possible.

While I am far removed from the spl thing I do admire the ingenuity and effort that was put into being able to pull these sort of numbers.

~JH



audiovideoholic likes this.
Jonny Hotnuts is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 03-13-2017, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Hotnuts View Post
Ive been out of the spl thing since I moved to the PNW from the South (somewhere around '98).

-A good friend and someone I mentored in the game just won some huge event in his class pulling a 169 in USACI Mod 2-4K. When I was doing this sort of thing I was unstoppable with a legal 158. Even 169 seems crazy....185 doesnt seem possible.

While I am far removed from the spl thing I do admire the ingenuity and effort that was put into being able to pull these sort of numbers.

~JH



You and I were doing similar legal numbers at the exact same time period so just really curious what brands you were running and the end setup you did best with?

I had a 1994 GMC 4 door Jimmy 4x4 with the back seats fully functional(so wasted atleast 2dbs if not 4dbs right there alone).

Amps- Rockford Power series in chrome ran down at 1ohm on each ch/amp

2-250s
1-500
8-sealed Rockford DVC 15"

Alpine EQ in the rear view mirror
Alpine deck and 12 disk changer. The disk changer was the only way we could get a CD to play once it was up over like 150db or so, so that was just an after thought so I could actually be able to cruise around and change discs while driving. It was just mounted in the center console with the housing cushioned by some squishy foam or something.

Plenty of batteries, caps, altinators. Stinger alternators.

I used all the kevlar power series mids and highs. If memory is correct I believe there were like 18 mids plus highs in there at one point for the sound quality shows they needed me to enter.

Edit- back in mid/late 90s systems like ours that actually sounded good were far and few between. Everyone in my entire small city (30,000 pop.)knew who I was just because of my truck. Heck you could here me way out in the country if were sitting in a parking lot chilling in town the entire time we would be cruising country roads. They would all say they knew it was us when they would just keep hearing it but no vehicles in town would ever drive by after a while.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 03-13-2017 at 08:56 PM.
audiovideoholic is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PDX on the Columbia
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
You and I were doing similar legal numbers at the exact same time period so just really curious what brands you were running and the end setup you did best with?

I had a 1994 GMC 4 door Jimmy 4x4 with the back seats fully functional(so wasted atleast 2dbs if not 4dbs right there alone).

Amps- Rockford Power series in chrome ran down at 1ohm on each ch/amp

2-250s
1-500
8-sealed Rockford DVC 15"

Alpine EQ in the rear view mirror
Alpine deck and 12 disk changer. The disk changer was the only way we could get a CD to play once it was up over like 150db or so, so that was just an after thought so I could actually be able to cruise around and change discs while driving. It was just mounted in the center console with the housing cushioned by some squishy foam or something.

Plenty of batteries, caps, altinators. Stinger alternators.

I used all the kevlar power series mids and highs. If memory is correct I believe there were like 18 mids plus highs in there at one point for the sound quality shows they needed me to enter.

Edit- back in mid/late 90s systems like ours that actually sounded good were far and few between. Everyone in my entire small city (30,000 pop.)knew who I was just because of my truck. Heck you could here me way out in the country if were sitting in a parking lot chilling in town the entire time we would be cruising country roads. They would all say they knew it was us when they would just keep hearing it but no vehicles in town would ever drive by after a while.

I had multiple configurations/vehicles the most noteworthy was a Ford Bronco II. I was a non affiliated competitor however was able to buy all my stuff from Stillwater at manufactures costs. This being said most of the comps I attended didnt have any amateur in the unlimited category so I nearly always competed as pro against any poor factory vehicles that happened to attend.

I had 12 Kicker c15s, 6x of the zr1000s (that would put almost 1000 watts to each 15), 11x 1000cca batteries

Legal I would run 158+, outlaw somewhere in the 162 area.

Competed IDBL, USAC and IASCA all around Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri and Tenn..

I had some good times back in the day.
-I still own much of the stuff as well!

~JH
Jonny Hotnuts is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 03-14-2017, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,068
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
A new record for stupidity. Yawn.
Yup, and five bucks says the military can build a louder one in just two days....but then they'll have to test it for 20 years on black budget funds, so I guess the Brazilians win after all.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
adrummingdude is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 03-14-2017, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Shreds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 375
That's a lot of work to play some dumb music.

Most people seem to have no hearing protection so unless they're all going to the hospital later that night I'm gonna have to pull a skeptical snake on the 185dB thing.


Edit: oh, I get it now, it's just the car thing.

Last edited by Shreds; 03-14-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Shreds is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 AM
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 15,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
How in the world are they getting to these numbers on the dash @ 1M away?
Cabin gain.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 03-14-2017, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
 
JCJetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minooka, IL
Posts: 312
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Aren't these SPL vehicles also built with bullet-proof steel and sealed up to the point they'd be safe at 3000 meters under water? In fact I always wondered if they could be successful in recommissioning a WWII submarine into an SPL vessel.
audiovideoholic and cubdenno like this.
JCJetta is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 03-14-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiovideoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Hotnuts View Post
I had multiple configurations/vehicles the most noteworthy was a Ford Bronco II. I was a non affiliated competitor however was able to buy all my stuff from Stillwater at manufactures costs. This being said most of the comps I attended didnt have any amateur in the unlimited category so I nearly always competed as pro against any poor factory vehicles that happened to attend.

I had 12 Kicker c15s, 6x of the zr1000s (that would put almost 1000 watts to each 15), 11x 1000cca batteries

Legal I would run 158+, outlaw somewhere in the 162 area.

Competed IDBL, USAC and IASCA all around Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri and Tenn..

I had some good times back in the day.
-I still own much of the stuff as well!

~JH
Wow. Can't believe our trucks were equal honestly with your surface area and higher wattage. But I've also seen trucks with 6 12s hit mid 160s so it's installer dependent for sure.
audiovideoholic is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 03-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Viperoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
About 10 years ago, I did 146.3db legal off of 2x Mach5 18's in a 6.5cf sealed box, powered by an Earthquake PHD2 or 3 (~2kw), with a regular lead acid battery underhood and 2x 1/0g power runs to the amp in the trunk.
This was in a Saturn wagon, with the plastic door panels, full interior, and the panel flex on all of the panels was nuts. So was the voltage drop too actually.
Viperoni is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 03-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Orijen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
A new record for stupidity. Yawn.




That's a bad attitude ^^




I run that Brazilian job as an alarm clock. You should see my shower set up....
audiovideoholic likes this.

SR7010- Sony 4K 75''- Samsung 8500-SVS Ultra Towers- SVS Ultra Center- SVS Ultra Bookshelf FS- SVS Prime Elevation ATMOS- SVS Ultra Surround- SVS SB13x2- XPA-5- Outlaw 2200 x6
Orijen is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 03-14-2017, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BassThatHz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Okan range (NW Cascades region)
Posts: 8,009
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2378 Post(s)
Liked: 2151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
It seems they cranked up a bit more here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxZkvY2iO64
That's nutz. So loud the mic records nothing. Can't hear even the mic distortion until they turn it down.
Loud = camera optics EMP.

Although it probably doesn't help that they recorded it with a potato in 140P.
Gooddoc likes this.
BassThatHz is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I wish my indoor setup could move hair like that...holy crap to doing it outdoors!

The "vehicle" thing is cool, I suppose, but ultimately, I don't get what the point is. If I remember back in my IASCA days (I competed Novice SQ 601+), those DB drag guys would tweak to find the single best frequency they could reproduce and tune / tweak everything around it. It's the definition of a one-note wonder. The enclosure build is probably the most impressive part, you're not hitting those numbers with lots of flex. Seems like the engineering hurdle is building a vehicle-sized enclosure that's large enough to fit drivers with enough surface area and excursion and small enough to be built rigidly and tuned to your target frequency. Successfully navigate those trade-offs and execute the build well and you can be the next record breaker, lol.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,235
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I wish my indoor setup could move hair like that...holy crap to doing it outdoors!

The "vehicle" thing is cool, I suppose, but ultimately, I don't get what the point is. If I remember back in my IASCA days (I competed Novice SQ 601+), those DB drag guys would tweak to find the single best frequency they could reproduce and tune / tweak everything around it. It's the definition of a one-note wonder. The enclosure build is probably the most impressive part, you're not hitting those numbers with lots of flex. Seems like the engineering hurdle is building a vehicle-sized enclosure that's large enough to fit drivers with enough surface area and excursion and small enough to be built rigidly and tuned to your target frequency. Successfully navigate those trade-offs and execute the build well and you can be the next record breaker, lol.
The point is because they can. Lol that's pretty much it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off