Built a LCR set of 1099s and ... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By dtsdig
  • 1 Post By Fattykidd
  • 1 Post By tuxedocivic

post #1 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Built a LCR set of 1099s and ...

Man are they bright! They actually hurt my ears the upper waves are that strong. I did not put in the additional resistor, and I immediately realize I should have. I guess I am unhooking the wave guide and going in for some surgery...

I also notice that the mid cones are not moving very much. I am comparing them to my Statement IIs and on the 1099s, the mids are barely moving. Perhaps when broken in, they will move more and perhaps not... but there is not a lot coming out of them. They are all acting the exact same (all 6 of them) so I am assuming it is not the crossovers.

Otherwise, for a first impression, they will work well for movies once the resistor is added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
The mids shouldn't really move very much at all, but be sure you have them wired up properly. If the speakers aren't behind a screen, you should use the resistor mod. You also need to be sure you have a powerful subwoofer that can keep up with the speakers or the whole system will sound light on bass, and brighter overall. Similar to the way a system using tiny speakers with dual 18" subwoofers would sound way too bass heavy and unbalanced.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1996
Yes as Erich mentioned, use the resistor if not behind a screen OR not directly adjacent to a screen such that the screen acts as an extension of the speaker baffle. Thats how they were originally designed. For solid screens where a center was required. So the speaker would be flush with the screen.

And also as Erich said, audition them with a proper sub set at the proper level. The 1099 doesnt sound very good without subs. Most of my designs dont cause Im a big believer in using subs.

Hope they improve! Tag me or PM me if you need any help or guidance.

My youtube channel: Impulse Audio

post #4 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
The exaggeration of how bright they are seems really strange to me. My crossovers are built to the original design with no extra padding on the tweeter and I've always found them to be spot on. In fact, my wife and I have them cranked up right now with some Paul Simon on. Since my house had to be staged to sell, I have no subs in the mix right now either. Granted, my 1099 cabs are larger than the originals, but crossed over at 40hz with no subs, I've still been perfectly happy with them.
Did you purchase circuit boards for your crossovers?
post #5 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I've heard these without the resistor. And I also thought they sounded excellent. That said, once they were brought down a little using the MiniDSP, they sounded better.

I was running all Klipsch at the time. So, i was very use to the "horn" sound. And, I definitely think the 1099s aren't nearly as bright as my Klipsch could be.

HT: Marantz 7702mkII | Crown Amps | 1299 L/C/R | Volt 8s | THTs | 1200Ds | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P | Oppo UHD-203 | PS4 |
Family: Pioneer SP-SB23W | Pioneer Kuro Elite 111 | X1
post #6 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let us know how you wired up the midranges.

post #7 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I just built the HTM-12s and found a similar feeling when I first started them up.
I come from Klipsch so bright I am used to, I do not actually think they are too bright.

I think the dynamics of these speakers are much different than what I (and maybe you) are used to, and the changes in volume are sudden, powerful and dramatic. I don't think it is too much personally, but can certainly understand lowering it. If using any form of autocorrection, I assume that does it anyway.

But I would honestly give it some time and decide if you really want it modded. I thought that immediately too, but don't think I will likely bother. New speakers take some time to get used to, just my 2c.

And yes I realize the designers are saying to use the mod Not saying they are wrong they most certainly are not, I'm just not sure how important it really is.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The HTM's have a similar resistor option so you can make them sound the best if they're behind an acoustically transparent screen or not. I would assemble the crossover the way you plan on using them for the best overall sound. If you assemble them for behind the screen use, but don't put them behind a screen, they will sound brighter.

Also the pro audio woofers do need some time to loosen up. It has been recommended on the forum to run most of the speakers full range with music for a little while to loosen things up.

post #9 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. The x-overs are configured as original - just without the additional resistor on the tweeter. I used boards that were sent by mtg.

Currently they are sitting with a ML 15" which does more than it needs in the bass department. They will very soon be paired with 2 SIDS4's in a variant of the full marty sub. Bass will not be limited.

I'll toss the resistor in at least to the center and see what that does - and will go from there. They are breaking in at the moment (with ACDC pounding pretty good.) lol

I am a little surprised that the mids are as inactive given most voice response is thrown from the midrange Hz structure.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

ACDC may be mixed a little on the bright side

The mids produces the range hearing is very sensitive to, but they cross over around 600hz, which is quite high. Its the frequencies below about 200hz that would make the mids move noticeably. You should be able to feel a slight vibration with your finger if you carefully touch them. If the mids were moving Id be concerned. Itll take SPL that would honestly damage your hearing quickly to get the mids to move. And even then they can take it

post #11 of 15 Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply ... makes sense.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-20-2017, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
The exaggeration of how bright they are seems really strange to me. My crossovers are built to the original design with no extra padding on the tweeter and I've always found them to be spot on. In fact, my wife and I have them cranked up right now with some Paul Simon on. Since my house had to be staged to sell, I have no subs in the mix right now either. Granted, my 1099 cabs are larger than the originals, but crossed over at 40hz with no subs, I've still been perfectly happy with them.
Did you purchase circuit boards for your crossovers?
My guess is threefold:

We all have listening preferences. I am very sensitive to highs - and that is why, even in my car stereo builds, I am careful about speaker selection and tonal balance

It's about what I am comparing them too. The Statement IIs are much warmer.

The cabinet certainly makes a difference - based on how it's tuned. Yours are likely tuned quite a bit lower.

In no way am I saying that the 1099s are "bad," I am just saying that for me, they are excessively bright.

All that said, it looks as though I will have to put them behind a screen - based on how my theater is going to shake out... so that might mitigate the issue all together.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
I hope you get it worked out so that you can enjoy them as much as I do!
Fattykidd and jwanck11 like this.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Make some grilles for them with 2 layers of spandex over the mids and waveguide. Should simulate the at screen.
jwanck11 likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-20-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Most of the perceived brightness is around 3-5khz. Hitting that with eq helps if you need.
jwanck11 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page