Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old Today, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 112
driver options

Posting in diy because at least a little of this will be DIY , maybe.
So on Thursday I went and bought an HSU VTF3 mk 2 from a guy on CL . She ran , sounded fine playing from a smartphone to test , visually was in fair shape , missing one foot(leg) , whatever , easy fix , cone and surround were in good shape. Agreed on a price , I loaded it in my truck and headed out . I stopped for a bite to eat , then went to pick up my joint custody pup from my ex's house and headed home . Got back , brought the sub upstairs , flipped it upside down to assess what I was going to do about the missing foot , and discovered that some A@*HAT had vandalized my sub while it was in the truck! There was a dent in the cone , with some flaking blue paint in it , daylight showing through in one small spot in the dent when I pulled the driver , and several creases in the cone that were all NOT there when I bought it. I know I checked it , and the sellers pics also showed it in fine shape . My fault for leaving it alone and out of site , but damn...
So , I fired it up anyway , it is worlds better than what I had , and I will not be running this thing anywhere near what most of you would consider even the minimum level , so my questions are :

1. at very conservative levels , is a small ( coffee stir straw) sized hole in the driver going to diminish the sound quality , or would it only come into play as the sub starts being pushed ? I'm in an apartment , this will almost always be at very low and nearfield for just a taste of rumble .

2. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement driver for this? I haven't been able yet to find the specs so that I can compare to available drivers . A solution would be greatly appreciated , but if anyone would like to teach me how to fish (point me in the direction to find the solution myself) that would be even more valuable . If anyone knows if Hsu has or sells a replacement as I didn't have a chance to call during the week , but I'll be checking in Monday .

3. Since I have this 350W Bash amp on this thing , and a damaged cone , I was maybe thinking if I needed to replace the driver in my situation , and if said driver was going to cost more than a PA460 , that I might look into building a V.B.S.S. as a replacement . Does that sound like a terrible idea? I know I won't be able to tweak the response like with an inuke with DSP , but would this option have any merit at all if I really am missing out with the damage on the existing driver? I was planning on doing a V.B.S.S. due to price before this Hsu came up , but the price I got the Hsu for was probably half what building one V.B.S.S. and an inuke 1000dsp was , and again , for now at least I am volume limited.
I'm open to any and all suggestions , help , ideas or ridicule for leaving this thing unattended to be molested by some hoodlum who doesn't think anyone should have nice things . Thanks for reading my rant.

It was like that when I got here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Buy a tube of PL premium. Put it on the hole. Leave it 48 hours. It should be fine.

Holes in cones only really affect bass below 20hz at high output levels, like at least 80db or beyond.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Thanks Bass , I had a feeling that it wasn't an issue at my moderate listening levels , didn't know about the PL , thanks for the tip , I'll get on it tomorrow.

It was like that when I got here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs