Samson SXD7000, iNuke alternative? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old Today, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Samson SXD7000, iNuke alternative?

Hi guys,

I might be acquiring a Dayton UM15-22 soon - no concrete plan on what cab I will make for it - so it has got me thinking about suitable amplification, so while I am aware that the iNuke family are the go to amps for DIY subs I'm not at all clued-up on the specifics as to why.

Having come across the Samson SXD7000 which is similarly priced to the 3000DSP (Update : I see it is actually around $200 more in the US, different markets I guess) and much nicer looking I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it over the Behringer's?

Not too sure of the significance of the Class H output mentioned in the owner's manual, would this suit its use as a sub amp better over the class D of the iNukes?

Also given both have a frequency response of 20Hz to 20KHz how do some people use subs that are tuned below that with the iNukes?

Link to Samson site:

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/pro...fiers/sxd7000/

and Owner's Manual:

http://www.samsontech.com/site_media...OM_5L_V2.1.pdf

About me:

Skill/knowledge level: Novice, gonna ask questions (sorry in advance )

Last edited by RobertChicken; Today at 05:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Re: pricing, US vs SA

In the US, pricing of the comparable models based on watts is the 1000DSP at $199 vs ~$480, we don't get that model however we get the 3000 and up which is comparable in price to the SDX7000 which is currently on sale.

Obviously this Samson isn't enticing for those in the US given the 3000DSP is still much cheaper.

If anyone has any experience with it though your thoughts would be appreciated.
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Has binding posts and can use rca to 1/4, which is nice. If the fan is quite out of the box and about same cost as the inuke for you, I would probably lean that way. Its probably a better up top if you decide you want to use it on your mains at some point.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 1266
Doesn't seem to have many PEQ filters available based on a quick look of the specs.

post #5 of 5 Old Today, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Doesn't seem to have many PEQ filters available based on a quick look of the specs.
They talk about PEQ under the EQ section below are there any important features that are missing for a sub?

Copied from the manual,

DSP Settings

Preset - Choose either Manual Mode, which provides access to the full set of adjustable parameters, or from the four speaker
presets: 2 full range, Mono 2-way, Sub/Sat, or 2 subs.

I/O - The I/O screen adjusts the settings for how the inputs will be routed through the DSP to the output connectors.

Stereo: Ch A Input -> Ch A Output & Ch B Input -> Ch B Output
Mono A+B dual: Ch A and Ch B inputs are mixed together, each level control adjusts the corresponding output level

Mono A+B link: Ch A and Ch B inputs are mixed together, Ch A level control adjusts both Ch A and Ch B output levels

Parallel A dual: Ch A input is sent to both Ch A and Ch B outputs, each level control adjust the corresponding output level

Parallel A link: Ch A input is sent to both Ch A and Ch B outputs, CH A level control adjusts the output level for both channels.

Filter (Manual mode) - The filter section allows you to build you own crossover or add speaker protection by stetting the filters to remove the upper and lower limits of the audio bandwidth.

Filter Ch A - Press the Edit button to enter the filter parameters for channel A.

Filter Ch B - Press the Edit button to enter the filter parameters for channel B. If the Ch A filter is On, then the Ch B filter can be set to the same settings by choosing A=B

LPF Freq - Rotate the EDIT knob to adjust the low pass filter frequency.

LPF Slope - Rotate the EDIT knob to adjust the filter type and slope roll off in dB per octave.

HPF Freq - Rotate the EDIT knob to adjust the high pass filter frequency.

HPF Slope - Rotate the EDIT knob to adjust the filter type and slope roll off in dB per octave.

X-Over (speaker preset) - When using a speaker preset, the filters are already configured for a crossover. This allows you to easily set the crossover frequency for your speaker configuration.

Gain Offset (Manual mode) - This adjustment allows you to set an overall balance between the outputs of the amplifier. This allows you to match the difference of output level of the speakers in a system without needing to constantly adjust the front panel level controls.

EQ - In Manual mode there are three EQ filters per channel. The Low frequency adjustment can be set to a Low Frequency Shelf or to a parametric equalizer (PEQ) with Frequency, Q, and Gain adjustments. The mid band is a parametric equalizer (PEQ) with Frequency, Q, and Gain adjustments. The high frequency band can be set to a High Frequency shelf or to a parametric (PEQ) band. Press the Edit button to enter the EQ parameters. If Ch A EQ is set ON, Ch B can be set to the same settings by choosing A=B. If using a speaker preset, the SXD offers seven EQ preset frequency curves to match your performance setting: DJ, Vocal, Live Sound, Install, Rock, Dance, Jazz.

Limiter - The limiter provides additional protection to your speakers from overload. Press the EDIT button to adjust. The Limiter can be set to -1dB, -3dB, and -9dB.

Delay - The delay time can be used to align speakers in a system. This is useful when using a subwoofer and satellite speaker for front of house to ensure the speakers are in phase for optimal performance. Click the Edit button to adjust. The Delay settings are displayed in milliseconds, inches/feet, and centimeters/meters.

Setup - In the Setup mode the amplifier can be locked and the user can create a four-digit code so settings are not accidentally changed. Click to set Lock Code. Rotate the EDIT knob to adjust the code number, and press the DOWN and UP buttons to move through each digit. Click the EDIT button to set the lock code. If you have forgotten your Lock Code, you can reset it by turning off the amplifier, then while holding the UP and DOWN buttons turn the power back on.

Factory Reset - This sets all parameters and presets back to the original factory default settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
inuke , samson sxd