I.S.C.T – ‘12” Cylindrical Sub Enclosure’ as a (Sealed/Vented) with Dual Side Walls … - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes
post #61 of 80 Unread 04-17-2017, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Tuesday, April 18 2017 placed new Images in this the FIRST - the lead thread!!!

rgs UpperCut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Unread 04-19-2017, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Wednesday, April 19 2017 placed new Images in this the FIRST - the lead thread!!!

rgs UpperCut
post #63 of 80 Unread 04-19-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 707
So, it's a slot-vented sub with the vents molded into the outer wall.

I thought about doing something similar five years ago, with spiral vents to get the vent length I needed for a 17 Hz tune (see attached sketch). What is the I.S.C.T's box tune?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonosub Spiral Slot Ports.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	2091697  
Brazle likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 04-19-2017 at 11:13 AM.

post #64 of 80 Unread 05-15-2017, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Tuesday, May 16 2017 placed new Images in this the FIRST - the lead thread!!!
post #65 of 80 Unread 05-15-2017, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
So, it's a slot-vented sub with the vents molded into the outer wall.

I thought about doing something similar five years ago, with spiral vents to get the vent length I needed for a 17 Hz tune (see attached sketch). What is the I.S.C.T's box tune?

Thank you for the reply!

As to your question - this is a SEALED/VENTED arrangement - sealed chamber 12" chassis driving an Interactive passive unit which in turn is part of a passive tuned vented chamber. Much more effective & much easier then using a port as such .....
I.S.C.T stands for 'Innovative Slice Construction Technique' - simple a type of a Sandwich build.

rgs UpperCut

Last edited by UpperCut; 05-15-2017 at 03:30 PM.
post #66 of 80 Unread 05-16-2017, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperCut View Post
Thank you for the reply!

As to your question - this is a SEALED/VENTED arrangement - sealed chamber 12" chassis driving an Interactive passive unit which in turn is part of a passive tuned vented chamber. Much more effective & much easier then using a port as such .....
I.S.C.T stands for 'Innovative Slice Construction Technique' - simple a type of a Sandwich build.

rgs UpperCut

Um, you never answered the question. What is the tune of your "passive tuned vented chamber"?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________

Last edited by Augerhandle; 05-16-2017 at 02:05 AM.
post #67 of 80 Unread 05-16-2017, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Um, you never answered the question. What is the tune of your "passive tuned vented chamber"?
Well, I could not & still do not find/see a question as that you mention anywhere in your writing!

But anyway the SEALED chamber was coarse tuned to 29 Hz & the VENTED chamber was set AS IS to minimal (so it runs presently at 26/27 Hz) as it only runs in the (third week), but once that all is completed (two month +) it will end up between 22/24 as I have no Interest myself on any lower because I’m after the sound experience of both of these sealed & vented in one, but yes I can remember that in my calculations it could go lower with different 10” or 12” chassis and more Xmax to increase the action/relations between chambers.

Please do not compare any accumulated knowledge with this unit or how you wanted to do it way back (Vented using tubes) as the SEALED/VENTED idea works on Air & Pressure chamber relations and that both can get coarse & fine tuned to a different degree.

rgs UpperCut
post #68 of 80 Unread 05-16-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I could not & still do not find/see a question as that you mention anywhere in your writing! Look for the question mark (?).

But anyway the SEALED chamber was coarse tuned to 29 Hz so, tell us, how does one tune a sealed chamber? & the VENTED chamber was set AS IS WTF? to minimal (so it runs presently at 26/27 Hz) as it only runs in the (third week), but once that all is completed (two month +) it will end up between 22/24 as I have no Interest myself on any lower because I’m after the sound experience of both of these sealed & vented in one, but yes I can remember that in my calculations it could go lower with different 10” or 12” chassis and more Xmax I'm pretty sure box tune is a function of the box size and port size to increase the action/relations please describe these actions/relations between chambers.

Please do not compare any accumulated knowledge with this unit or how you wanted to do it way back (Vented using tubes) as the SEALED/VENTED idea works on Air & Pressure chamber relations and that both can get coarse & fine tuned to a different degree. This is total gobblety-gook

rgs UpperCut

Notes above, in red. It is obvious that while you have an aesthetically pleasing design, you have no idea of the mechanics of your design, and rely on your poor understanding of buzz words to try to convince others that you do. I like your speakers, but please read a book on speaker design.

post #69 of 80 Unread 05-16-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I've read throught the entire thread, i know it inovative, its cool as could be, but how does this design push the quality of sound beyond that of sealed, ported.

I can see what it does you have explained that completely, if it was design, to just "Be" then fine, you did it to do it.

Why would one do this over a simple sealed box, small enough for a F3@22hz or a little higher.

Whats missing in other alignments, sound quality wise that your design offers.

Make no mistake, im not trolling to belittle your design, im wondering about benefits is all.......

Thank you

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #70 of 80 Unread 05-16-2017, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Notes above, in red. It is obvious that while you have an aesthetically pleasing design, you have no idea of the mechanics of your design, and rely on your poor understanding of buzz words to try to convince others that you do. I like your speakers, but please read a book on speaker design.
Once again I like to say thank you for your input, but honestly I could see right away that you were out for confrontation as it was so very obvious and I had seen your diagram before.

Anyway, confrontation or not I can understand your massive frustration believe me because until 2006 I was just the same as you helpless which language – right. OK, as it is to obvious that you do not like what is not written down in a book you will not try to move you from your opinion(s).

Last, but not least which book would you like me to read as I have around 30 and I do refer everyday to one or the other for a reference yet in general there is nothing in them which I had not read ten times until 2006 when things really got Interesting for me in my quest for DIY Hi-Fi because I found that there was so much more out there to look at then dwelling in mostly outdated Information.

Thank again for liking the design now you actually should hear it & truly quiet something else.

rgs UpperCut
post #71 of 80 Unread 05-16-2017, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
I've read throught the entire thread, i know it inovative, its cool as could be, but how does this design push the quality of sound beyond that of sealed, ported.
Well, you are right Sealed is sealed & Vented is Vented, but SEALED/VENTED is both worlds in one! And you simple have to have heard it to appreciate.

Quote:
I can see what it does you have explained that completely, if it was design, to just "Be" then fine, you did it to do it.
If I read this right I would like to say YES I do LOVE the creation/development process!

Quote:
Why would one do this over a simple sealed box, small enough for a F3@22hz or a little higher.
Development & rewards of a very different sound reproduction!!!

Quote:
Whats missing in other alignments, sound quality wise that your design offers.

It’s not really the design in particular as that is just AS IS there to show off the quality of the sounds which can be reached in a fundamental rethink, but it’s the sound reproduction of a kind off ‘Musical Bass’ of SEALED/VENTED blending simple in in all it’s force rather then over power.

Quote:
Make no mistake, im not trolling to belittle your design, im wondering about benefits is all.......

That id fine with me – Constructive Criticism is always welcome with me I just do not like so much when people trying to push Medieval knowledge out of books written in the eighties maybe early nineties as Gospel. It would be very strange me ignoring that there is an IPhone 9 or whatever Number it is on - still promoting heavily as Gospel the release of No. 2 ….

rgs UpperCut
post #72 of 80 Unread 05-17-2017, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I get it, it sounds different, the impression is better, but providing data to support it is difficult. Ususally when a new alignment is expressed as the best of both worlds, some data to support such claim is expected. What are the bests of both worlds and why does it make the sound better. By just saying its better is not really what indicates "better".

I would suggest doing some measuring so that when you say Better, you can support it with data to express how. All designs in the market today, be it DIY or Professional are still held to the standards, and that's data. I have never sold a speaker or bought a speaker that supports it design with nothing but praise by its designer. If you said your child is the smartest in the school, then a quick look at test scores would show that a 100% in all area's of study support your claim, your child tests the best.

if we just believe everything we are told by designers, then we will continue to by $10,000 amps cause someone says, this is the best ! Btw, if you wanna get rich, go for it, Many still do believe blindly, and buy that amp, but in reality, they just really want to believe too

post #73 of 80 Unread 05-17-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Once again I like to say thank you for your input, but honestly I could see right away that you were out for confrontation as it was so very obvious and I had seen your diagram before.

Anyway, confrontation or not I can understand your massive frustration believe me because until 2006 I was just the same as you helpless which language – right. OK, as it is to obvious that you do not like what is not written down in a book you will not try to move you from your opinion(s).

Last, but not least which book would you like me to read as I have around 30 and I do refer everyday to one or the other for a reference yet in general there is nothing in them which I had not read ten times until 2006 when things really got Interesting for me in my quest for DIY Hi-Fi because I found that there was so much more out there to look at then dwelling in mostly outdated Information.

Thank again for liking the design now you actually should hear it & truly quiet something else.

rgs UpperCut
Sorry if I seemed confrontational. Incredulous would be a better description. As kgveteran stated, nothing you said is backed up with data. Please prove what you claim.

post #74 of 80 Unread 05-17-2017, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I get it, it sounds different, the impression is better, but providing data to support it is difficult. Ususally when a new alignment is expressed as the best of both worlds, some data to support such claim is expected. What are the bests of both worlds and why does it make the sound better. By just saying its better is not really what indicates "better".

I would suggest doing some measuring so that when you say Better, you can support it with data to express how. All designs in the market today, be it DIY or Professional are still held to the standards, and that's data. I have never sold a speaker or bought a speaker that supports it design with nothing but praise by its designer. If you said your child is the smartest in the school, then a quick look at test scores would show that a 100% in all area's of study support your claim, your child tests the best.

if we just believe everything we are told by designers, then we will continue to by $10,000 amps cause someone says, this is the best ! Btw, if you wanna get rich, go for it, Many still do believe blindly, and buy that amp, but in reality, they just really want to believe too

What you say about data is very true!

But if you would have in any way followed then you would be aware that the biggest dislike is al around the way I'm handling my affairs. So simple to recap is that I have all the data in the world needed to support not only for this Build Up D, but also for all the others before this as these were part of a larger project - like A, B, C ….. With only one outstanding which YES right would be the Build Up E.

All are part of this project & D is as such the most advanced yet, but when I completed E plus the running in period of three month THEN – and ONLY THEN data will be released as only the project would be completed and TRUE & valuable final data would be there to support everything.

So all in all why would I want to publish anything vague if in the end I would have to recall anything and try to explain – well, this was not quiet right what I did send out then, but now that is it.

Now, the Build up D still has over two month to go in its run in period and by then as that will be completed I will have everything together to start Build up E the final approach to see how much better in different cabinets this my SEALED/VENTED idea & approach is working.

Well, no hard feelings on my side as to be objective in any way once only can be if once reads …. but shouting from the roof tops was always much easier and expecting that somebody actually does do things different from the norm is of course unacceptable.

rgs UpperCut
post #75 of 80 Unread Yesterday, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I think it's clear that English isn't your first language. I would suggest that you stick to basic words as your attempt to be both verbose and specific leads to pure gibberish.

Genuinely, you come across as a bad chat bot.

I get that sounds harsh, but it's not my intent to belittle you, simply to say, change your phrasing to something that actually makes sense.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
post #76 of 80 Unread Yesterday, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

But if you would have in any way followed then you would be aware that the biggest dislike is al around the way I'm handling my affairs. So simple to recap is that I have all the data in the world needed to support not only for this Build Up D, but also for all the others before this as these were part of a larger project - like A, B, C ….. With only one outstanding which YES right would be the Build Up E.

All are part of this project & D is as such the most advanced yet, but when I completed E plus the running in period of three month THEN – and ONLY THEN data will be released as only the project would be completed and TRUE & valuable final data would be there to support everything.

So all in all why would I want to publish anything vague if in the end I would have to recall anything and try to explain – well, this was not quiet right what I did send out then, but now that is it.

Now, the Build up D still has over two month to go in its run in period and by then as that will be completed I will have everything together to start Build up E the final approach to see how much better in different cabinets this my SEALED/VENTED idea & approach is working.

Well, no hard feelings on my side as to be objective in any way once only can be if once reads …. but shouting from the roof tops was always much easier and expecting that somebody actually does do things different from the norm is of course unacceptable.

rgs UpperCut
Im done here, but i do want to visit the Shire ! Enjoi my friend!

post #77 of 80 Unread Yesterday, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think he might be trying to talk about a band pass box.
post #78 of 80 Unread Yesterday, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Quote:
... So all in all why would I want to publish anything vague if in the end I would have to recall anything and try to explain – well, this was not quiet right what I did send out then, but now that is it.

Now, the Build up D still has over two month to go in its run in period and by then as that will be completed I will have everything together to start Build up E the final approach to see how much better in different cabinets this my SEALED/VENTED idea & approach is working. ...
If you only publish detailed information about your speaker projects that have proven to be successful could you share detailed information about some of your previous successful speakers so that everyone can know what level of information to expect?
post #79 of 80 Unread Today, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 2556 Post(s)
Liked: 2130
Quote:

rgs UpperCut
THREE Month run in period? huh?

Just run a tone through the woofer for 24 hours... I dont imagine your T/S specs are going to change very much at all past about 10-12 hours of good spirited listening.

Or, are you suggesting your BOX is going to somehow behave better after 3 months of use?

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
post #80 of 80 Unread Today, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
THREE Month run in period? huh?
Just run a tone through the woofer for 24 hours... I dont imagine your T/S specs are going to change very much at all past about 10-12 hours of good spirited listening.
Or, are you suggesting your BOX is going to somehow behave better after 3 months of use?

YES, three month as I had this for a very long time on three weeks, but found to be not quiet that happy with the results. In any case as explained by you this is how you would do it Your Way – well, and in my case it is simple how I feel fit to do it My Way!

rgs UpperCut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
absolute insanity , grammatical nightmare