Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 04-01-2017, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Game plan needed

Help......I'm spoilt for choice. Personally I blame this forum and the DIY Sound Group page.
Ultimately the blame lays with you guys as that's how I found the Sound Group.

So, I have been improving the soundproofing and quality of my modest home theatre in my cookie cutter Texas home.
The thread for that is here: The "Brown" Room Must Go!

I'm finishing of my sound panels and now looking to the actual speaker side. As mentioned in the thread, ideally I'm looking to install an acoustically transparent front screen, so I can then remove the front ceiling speakers that are my current LCR.
I'm leaning towards the following set-up and I'm looking for feedback if this is right for the room:
LCR Either HTM-10'S, HTM 12's or do I have the special 88 for my centre as people have complimented it for dialogue output? I'm then contemplating installing volt 6's on the rear and then repositioning a couple of my existing ceiling speakers for atmos.

For reference we hardly have our current set up louder than -20db due to having young kids but as they get older the system will undoubtedly be played louder.

Sub wise, I have converted the HTD 10" in wall speaker into a sealed enclosure but fully intend to eventually fabricate a dual 15" set-up.

With regards to speaker positioning on the LCR, for now they may have to sit below the screen until I build the false wall for the screen.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-02-2017, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 43 Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 256
It depends on the size of the room and your listening habits/expectations, but it sounds like the HTM-10 or -12 should be more than enough for you. That's what I chose for my in-progress room, and I think they'll fill it easily (it's smaller than 10 x 20). I'm also using the Volt 6 for all surround and Atmos duty. I've only heard an HTM-12 hooked up as cenre on a temporary basis, but it sounded great and I think they were a good choice for me.

I'd stick with identical LCR speakers, especially if you plan to go with an AT screen down the road. One of the reasons I chose the HTM-12 is because they were supposed to excel at dialogue - much like the 88 Special, which I was looking at before they were introduced. I can tell you the one I tested was a lot louder and clearer than the Paradigm CC I swapped it with. I think they would be fine under the screen and tilted up to point at the listening position for a while. I know at least one other member has done that and he loves them.

post #4 of 43 Old 04-03-2017, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

OJ thanks for the reply.
My room is roughly 11 x 15 ft, listening wise, currently I'll occasionally be able to really crank it up but in most uses it'll be used for family watching at about -25 to -30db so I'm really looking for crisp clear dialogue at lower volumes.
As you've mentioned, to start with I may have to have the speakers positioned below the screen until I've got round to building the false wall and converting my screen to an acoustically transparent one.
post #5 of 43 Old 04-03-2017, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 2176
I would go with the htm-12's and wait for the htm-6 or 8's to come out so everything is timber matched across the room that is if Matt and Erich are using the same cd in those speakers for your surrounds. You will have crisp clear dialogue with these to btw. The speakers can be tilted up a little so the cd in the waveguide is ear level. As for dual 15's there's a lot of options out there and can be modeled by several people. Once your At screen is up down the road your only going to need on average 3-4 inches of room from speaker to screen distance which can all be figured out with your size of your sub boxes if you want everything hidden. There's many ways to go about this with subs to like placing them in and in back or down the road making something hidden into a end table or in the back two corners when upgrading to four subs. Diy is very addictive once you start building and seeing what you get for your money you just want MOAR!
post #6 of 43 Old 04-04-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by winty82 View Post
OJ thanks for the reply.
My room is roughly 11 x 15 ft, listening wise, currently I'll occasionally be able to really crank it up but in most uses it'll be used for family watching at about -25 to -30db so I'm really looking for crisp clear dialogue at lower volumes.
As you've mentioned, to start with I may have to have the speakers positioned below the screen until I've got round to building the false wall and converting my screen to an acoustically transparent one.
just as a suggestion..i would consider the Fusion 10's and save a few bucks. My room is similar size to yours..11 X 14...I have 3 Fusion 10's for LCR and they get louder then I would EVER need..I completed my build a few weeks back and they sound amazing...I was worried i would have buyers remorse for not getting the HTM's but I have none at all..I love my Fusions..and I got 2 volt 6's for surrounds. they sound great too.

Receiver : Denon x2300
Front Stage : 3 DIYSG Fusion 10's
Surround Speakers :2 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers : Dual Dayton HO 18's in sealed cabs w/Inuke 3000 DSP
post #7 of 43 Old 04-04-2017, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
just as a suggestion..i would consider the Fusion 10's and save a few bucks. My room is similar size to yours..11 X 14...I have 3 Fusion 10's for LCR and they get louder then I would EVER need..I completed my build a few weeks back and they sound amazing...I was worried i would have buyers remorse for not getting the HTM's but I have none at all..I love my Fusions..and I got 2 volt 6's for surrounds. they sound great too.
Chad, thanks for the input.
I suppose really this is my biggest issue, how do you sit and compare what's going to be right? Whilst it seems DIY can give you more bang for your buck, there's little room for buyers remorse.
Where as if I were to shop at the likes of SVS for instance I could easily return the speakers if dissatisfied. I don't want to do that but am spoilt for choice with options and unsure on how to select the right ones.
I'll go look into the Fusion 10's as an option. One of the big praises I've read about the HTM's are the ribbon tweeters. Do the Fusions have that as well? I'm off to go see.
post #8 of 43 Old 04-04-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
I suppose really this is my biggest issue, how do you sit and compare what's going to be right? Whilst it seems DIY can give you more bang for your buck, there's little room for buyers remorse.
Where as if I were to shop at the likes of SVS for instance I could easily return the speakers if dissatisfied. I don't want to do that but am spoilt for choice with options and unsure on how to select the right ones.
I'll go look into the Fusion 10's as an option. One of the big praises I've read about the HTM's are the ribbon tweeters. Do the Fusions have that as well? I'm off to go see.
The HTM-10 and HTM-12 both use the Denovo DNA-325 compression driver. The Fusion 10 uses the Denovo DNA-205 compression driver. The CD in the HTM is more expensive, but it's a matter of taste of which top end is preferred. None of the DIYSG speakers uses a ribbon tweeter yet. I believe a speaker that utilizes a ribbon may currently be in the works however.
post #9 of 43 Old 04-04-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i really dont think you willbe disappointed in either the HTMs or the Fusions..I know its easier to take the plunge on something that you can return..but you see happy forum member after happy forum member when it comes to DIYSG offerings...and alot of these good reviews are coming from some of the forums heavy hitters..so thats always assuring.

i started with bic america tower speakers..they were pretty well regarded among low budget speakers..i thought they sounded great...but a friend i met on here brought over his Volt 10's which are seemingly more geared for surround speakers...well after doing an A/B test between my Bics and his Volts..it wasnt even close..after hearing the Volts..i was then able to hear the weaknesses in the BICs....thats when i made the decision to go DIYSG speakers and i am glad I did...when i turn the Fusions up...my ears will give out before they get close to showing any strain at all..they are loud and clean...I happen to be cheap, so i went with the Fusions instead of the HTMs.

post #10 of 43 Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

I can't even remember what speaker I read about that had the ribbon tweeter now

So I've looked at the Fusions and I'd only be able to go with the Fusion 8 as I plan on only having about 12 - 14" recess behind the screen.
With the HTM 10 measuring in at a 9" depth it looks like being the right candidate. From reading your reply and all the build threads on this site it looks like the HTM-10's will be more than enough for my room size.

Once all my absorption panels are complete along with the QRD panel I'm currently halfway through, it looks like the HTM-10's will be the next step! Perhaps by then the HTM-6 will be ready for release and may fit nicely as my rears, although I do like the angle design of the volts.
chadsmith013 likes this.
post #11 of 43 Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Right, so my mind is made up on the HTM-10's for the front and I'll wait to see what the deal is with the HTM-6's when they're released.

Now onto the Subs, everyones favorite!
Do I go single 18 or dual 15's? I had contemplated dual 18's but I think that might be somewhat overkill for a room my size (blasphemy I hear you cry!)
My concern is will the 15's be enough? I currently have a single 10" that was previously an in-wall sub that is hugely underwhelming.
I want the chest thumping experience I see so many of you guys talking about.

I'm considering the Marty build with a Dayton UM15-22 for each sub. With that set-up would the INuke 6000DSP be overkill, could I make a saving and the 3000 be more than enough?

Lastly as all of this is somewhat on a piece by piece budget, (sneaking it past the wife in dribs and drabs) what's going to give me the biggest bang for buck in wow?
Am I best on installing the HTM-10s first and worry about the subs later or should I go with the subs first, with the speakers to follow later on down the road?

Thanks

Gary
post #12 of 43 Old 04-06-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right, so my mind is made up on the HTM-10's for the front and I'll wait to see what the deal is with the HTM-6's when they're released.

Now onto the Subs, everyones favorite!
Do I go single 18 or dual 15's? I had contemplated dual 18's but I think that might be somewhat overkill for a room my size (blasphemy I hear you cry!)
My concern is will the 15's be enough? I currently have a single 10" that was previously an in-wall sub that is hugely underwhelming.

I'm considering the Marty build with a Dayton UM15-22 for each sub. With that set-up would the INuke 6000DSP be overkill, could I make a saving and the 3000 be more than enough?

Lastly as all of this is somewhat on a piece by piece budget, (sneaking it past the wife in dribs and drabs) what's going to give me the biggest bang for buck in wow?
Am I best on installing the HTM-10s first and worry about the subs later or should I go with the subs first, with the speakers to follow later on down the road?

Thanks

Gary
I went with 2 Dayton Ho 18's powered by an Inuke 3000 DSP in 4 CF sealed enclosures.....sure they can take more power from the 6000...but im cheap....they are plenty loud for my room...and its about the same size as yours...very happy with them as well.

post #13 of 43 Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

The UM18-22 is $80 more than the um15-22, but as for bang for the buck I think a pair or four PA460s will provide the best value, assuming you have the space.
Check out this thread on the VBSS.

People generally recommend multiple subs so you can place them in different locations to help even out the room's response.
post #14 of 43 Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Four subs.......you guys are dangerous!

To be honest I think at a push I have room for three, two at the front and one in the back right hand corner of the room, might be a silly question but can you have an odd number of subs?
Other than 1 that is......
post #15 of 43 Old 04-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Four subs.......you guys are dangerous!

To be honest I think at a push I have room for three, two at the front and one in the back right hand corner of the room, might be a silly question but can you have an odd number of subs?
Other than 1 that is......

Only if the number is a prime number, otherwise you will have problems.
post #16 of 43 Old 04-06-2017, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well if I ever get this panel done I can get on with the subs
As tedious as this panel is it at least gives me time to decide on what size subs and enclosures to go with.....although it seems the choices are endless!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	2071817  
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #17 of 43 Old 04-08-2017, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone let me know if I'm missing anything in the attached parts list.
What cables will I need to connect the Inuke to my receiver and the Inuke to the subs?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 8.50.40 PM.png
Views:	75
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	2074985  
post #18 of 43 Old 04-09-2017, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Can anyone let me know if I'm missing anything in the attached parts list.
What cables will I need to connect the Inuke to my receiver and the Inuke to the subs?

Thanks

DIY Musical Subs - Big Bass

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #19 of 43 Old 04-10-2017, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Good Deal!
Thanks.....All ordered now and can't wait.
I watched Rouge One last night and I just know it's going to be on another level of viewing experience once I had the subs in place
post #20 of 43 Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 195
At 13x13ish I have a similar sized room; I have the Volt 10LX ported setup for my Left/Center/Right and I'm very pleased with them. They get fed plenty of power, but even at -35 on my Marantz the dialogue is still clear and dynamic. One of these days I will be testing them side-by-side with the HTM-10s.

I will say my weekend viewing of Rogue One was pretty fantastic, but some of the action scenes drowned out the more quiet dialogue - that may be attributed to my subs being a few dB too hot. That movie takes a good 45 minutes before the LFE starts providing chair massages... But still I was overjoyed that my setup sounded considerably better than the fancy EMagine ATMOS theater I went to see the movie originally at back in January.
post #21 of 43 Old 04-10-2017, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Right, onto the design of the sub enclosure now then...
I'm going with the slotted design as opposed to the ports but for the life of me I cannot find on any threads any details about the optimum height and depth of the slots?
Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Currently it's looking like my enclosure will be somewhere in the region of 8cf, but that doesn't include any space lost to the slot assembly. I do have some room to make the enclosure wider if necessary but currently it's dimensions are looking like the following:

29"(H) x (20)"D x (29)"W using 3/4" pdf with a double baffle on the face.

Last edited by winty82; 04-10-2017 at 07:43 PM.
post #22 of 43 Old 04-14-2017, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

One of two My daughter seemed equally excited although the fingers were aiming towards causing destruction almost immediately, so some form of protective grill may be required.

Very excited now they're here though......does anyone have any insight on the enclosure?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed-8.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	2085105  
post #23 of 43 Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Game plan needed

If you got the PA460 and a 3000dsp go for the VBSS if you have the space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Trimlock; 04-14-2017 at 11:22 PM.
post #24 of 43 Old 04-15-2017, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
If you got the PA460 and a 3000dsp go for the VBSS if you have the space

Trimlock,

The VBSS Will be the design I'll try to adhere to, although in the post above I mentioned that I could do with some confirmation on sizing and port lengths....
post #25 of 43 Old 04-15-2017, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Some slot port VBSS threads:

Slot Ported Nearfield MBM w/ PA460

Custom VBSS, Theater Mode, Tuning Approx. 21hz

And search for Javs' posts in the VBSS thread. I believe he did 4 slot ported boxes.

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & Def Tech PF15TL+
post #26 of 43 Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think you will be disappointed with just one sub. I would get at least two.

post #27 of 43 Old 04-16-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity06 View Post
I think you will be disappointed with just one sub. I would get at least two.

I agree. The VBSS is designed as a multi-sub system. There are better design choices for a single sub. You already have the driver so I guess plan on adding another down the road

if I read it right, you are building two. That's a good start!
Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater

Last edited by brian6751; 04-16-2017 at 06:03 AM.
post #28 of 43 Old 04-16-2017, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Fear not Gents, I do indeed have two
brian6751 and infinity06 like this.
post #29 of 43 Old 04-16-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 897
That's good. It gives you time to wait for a sale and buy the other six

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
UK Dreamer and winty82 like this.

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater
post #30 of 43 Old 04-16-2017, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

29"(H) x (20)"D x (29)"W using 3/4" mdf with a double baffle on the face, will be the dimensions I have to work with.

I can make it wider if necessary?
My unknown is how high and deep do I make the slot ports and secondly how do I calculate what frequency this box will run at?
I'm all ready to start the build next weekend so any assistance as always is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs